Transmission bearing carrier wanted

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
rustngreese
Model Year: 1930

Transmission bearing carrier wanted

Post by rustngreese »

I am looking for a transmission bearing carrier for a 4 speed transmission to a Warford auxilliary transmission. I also need a u joint 4 speed spline to 3 speed spline. Pictures are attached and part numbers are on the photos. Thanks, Randy
Attachments
xU-joint 4-speed to Warford 1.jpg
xU-joint 4-speed to Warford 1.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
x4-Speed Rear Bearing Retainer 1a2.jpg
x4-Speed Rear Bearing Retainer 1a2.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
x4-Speed Rear Bearing Retainer 2.jpg
x4-Speed Rear Bearing Retainer 2.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: Transmission bearing carrier wanted

Post by Chris Haynes »

rustngreese wrote:I am looking for a transmission bearing carrier for a 4 speed transmission to a Warford auxilliary transmission. I also need a u joint 4 speed spline to 3 speed spline. Pictures are attached and part numbers are on the photos. Thanks, Randy

What is "Special" about the rear bearing carrier? Didn't all the four speeds have the same one?

It took a couple swap meets and diggin through boxes to find the correct U joint for my Warford. When I did find it, it cost me ten bucks. :P
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I have both pieces and the special U Joint to go from a four speed to a 3 speed driveshaft is NOS. Not cheap.

aaford157@nosford.com
rustngreese

Post by rustngreese »

Hi Knuck. I must confess that I am not well versed on these parts but am only trying to help my teenage son locate the parts for his truck restoration. I suppose the bearing carrier is not a real rare part, but I have had no luck so far on posts to other websites and at the Ford swap meets that we have attended. I think you obviously have been luckier than us. I am, however, interested in the parts that Mr. Moore has on his posting from the other day and have contacted him by email. Thanks for your input though. Randy
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The part is a rear bearing retainer (not carrier). It is hard to find because it is not the standard production bearing retainer used by Ford. It was part of the coupling shaft released in 1932 which allowed the shaft to be removed without removing the rear axle. I hope you find one!
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Neil Wilson wrote:The part is a rear bearing retainer (not carrier). It is hard to find because it is not the standard production bearing retainer used by Ford. It was part of the coupling shaft released in 1932 which allowed the shaft to be removed without removing the rear axle. I hope you find one!

If it is a '32 part how come it carries an AA part number?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ford made A and AA parts for service for some years after the end of A/AA production. The special coupling shaft was anounced in the July 1932 Service Bulletin (page 35). Since the parts of this coupling shaft was only for the AA (not the BB), the parts carry the AA parts numbers.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Drew Mashburn »

rustngreese:

I bought my AA long W.B. many years ago. It came with the rear bearing retainer. The engine's original serial number had been ground off and a new one stamped. The number begins with "RM" which I've speculated to mean "Re-Manufactured". Well, I'll bet the rear bearing retainer was installed when the engine swap was made. Just a bit of trivia.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

All I needed to find when installing my Warford was the U joint. The Warford bolted right to the the bearing retainer on my May 1930 AA Four Speed.
rustngreese

Post by rustngreese »

Thanks for the clarification Neil. Thanks also for the other replies, I am really getting an education! Randy
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

rustngreese wrote:I am looking for a transmission bearing carrier for a 4 speed transmission to a Warford auxilliary transmission. I also need a u joint 4 speed spline to 3 speed spline. Pictures are attached and part numbers are on the photos. Thanks, Randy
I think I have both the parts you are looking for. I have a retainer with the same part number and a spicer u joint with 6 splines one end and 10 on the other. I can send pics if you want. I have no need for them so you can have them for whatever you think is a fair price plus shipping.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

From one extreme to the other. To some people this is a hobby. To others it is their retirement fund. ;-)

First we read;
"I have both pieces and the special U Joint to go from a four speed to a 3 speed driveshaft is NOS. Not cheap."

Then;
"you can have them for whatever you think is a fair price plus shipping."

I paid ten dollars for my U joint at the Cosumnes River College Swap Meet in Sacramento. A guy had a milk crate full of U joints at ten bucks each. Many different types. My hands got dirty but I found what I needed. ;-)
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - To install a '28/'29 Warford in an AA with a 4-speed and the '30/'31 rear axle also requires a late '29 AA u-joint for between the Warford and the drive shaft.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

I wonder if you got the email I sent regarding the price for these items?