FOURWHEEL-DRIVE FORD AA???

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

FOURWHEEL-DRIVE FORD AA???

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Just thinking! Has anyone ever saw a Factory built AA Ford four wheel drive or heard of one? The reason I ask is I knew a guy the had a Machine shop that have a 1926 TT four wheel drive that was factory. He made it into a six wheel drive. I ran into a company, on the net, I think in Pa. that still makes the front axle for the TT front drive. I did have pictures and parts list. But I moved and you know what that means. I haven't seen them since. Thought I would mention it! Shelby, Louisiana.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Re: FOURWHEEL-DRIVE FORD AA???

Post by Jared275 »

Shelby,
I haven't seen a true 4-wheel drive but I have seen tandum axles linked with a gear and chain setup. I believe it was in the rear section of the unauthorized accessories book. This 4 wheel drive sounds pretty rare.
Regards,
Jared
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Jared, I was talking about the two front wheels with a gear box off the transmission similar to the 40s WWII ford and willis jeeps. The drive shaft ran up beside the right of the engine on the TT. Not the AA. With a differential much like the jeep. One of the first 4 wheel drive TTs that Ford made was stolen and was later found on an Army base. I don't know why the 4wheel drive wasn't carried over to the AAs. I've got a book that has pictures of the rear double axle chain drive. I want to look at them again!! Shelby, Louisiana.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

If you go on youtube there is a video of a guy with a 4 wheel drive T runabout, but it was an aftermarket outfit that made the kit. Perhaps this is the same kit you are speaking of on the TT? I suppose Ford could have been dabbling with the idea and made a couple of prototypes, but to my understanding the first official Ford production vehicle, war years not included, was in 1959. Prior to that Marmon Herrington did the conversions starting in the 30s I believe. I know the company FWD was pretty much the major player in 4 wheel drive vehicles back in the 20s, there could have been others, maybe someone else can name some. The youtube video of the 4wd T makes it look pretty fun, as do the videos of the T and A snowmobile kits they made back then. Looks like a great way to have fun with an old beater in the winter months.