MY First Model A meeting (MAFCA)

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

MY First Model A meeting (MAFCA)

Post by scl009 »

I went to my first MAFCA meeting with the "New Orleans A's."

It was quite comical as I was the youngest person there by probably 20 years. If I didn't count 2 of the members I could have said 40 years. At first I think they were surprised and didn't really know how to react to a young new guy, but they really opened up there at the end and made my fiancee really feel welcomed.

I talked with them about their vehicles and they had a lot of cool pics. They all seemed excited about new members and couldn't wait to see my garage and the project I am working on. A number of them don't have road worthy vehicles yet either, which I was a little apprehensive about, but they said it was no problem that all I have is a chassis so far. One guy even owned the model A sedan that his wife was born in. I do wish they had a few more guys with AA's though. Theres only one guy in the group of 20 or so couples that has an AA. I was talking about it with him and he has a 31 (like me) in peices.

They kept asking me to come back and I kept telling them not to worry, that I would. I think they were a little worried that I was turned off by the average age of the group. I kept repeating that I would be back and that the age of the group dosen't bother me at all, in fact its probably the best thing for me as the older gents have tons of experience on these cars and trucks that a younger crowd would not.

Scott
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Re: MY First Model A meeting (MAFCA)

Post by Shorthaul »

Scott,

Not to worry about age. I ,always remember the old verse that goes something like "Here you are as we once were- Here are we as you soon will be"
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

I am 64 and usually the only person at my meetings without gray or blue hair.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Same out in my area, I am 26 and the A/AA folks are a bit older but with age comes wisdom.
scl009

Post by scl009 »

Exactly what I was thinking guys.

If I walked in and everyone was younger than me (24) I would probably walk right back out, :lol:

Would probably be a cool place to hang out, but wouldn't get as much seasoned advice, and probably a lot less work done.

Scott
jamierodg
Body Type: Tow & Huckster
Model Year: 1929

Post by jamierodg »

I live next to Sun City Center near Tampa Florida. Doesn't matter where I go, Model A stuff, antique cars, Knights of Columbus, the VFW... the only person younger than me (47) is my wife (32). What can I say? I like my cars older and my women younger! With a '29 A Huckster and a '29 AA Tow truck I say I have two 29's and a '32, two A's a B.
Slower is better!!! Why haul ass if you can haul wood!