NEW MEMBER ..... HELLO

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
JEFF I
Body Type: Dump & Flatbed
Model Year: 1931

NEW MEMBER ..... HELLO

Post by JEFF I »

Hello from Seattle ,

Looking foreword to chatting with fellow truck nuts!

About me ...... I'm 55 , was born here and into a family demolition business started in 1929 by my great grandfather and his three sons. Their first truck was a Model AA , they started with Fords and stayed with them. I have many pictures which I can post as soon as I can figure out how to do that. I have been around old trucks and machinery all my life , and have many fond memories of riding in Ford "Big Job" trucks from the 50's , F-6's , 7's & 8's. I listened to many "stories" told by my grandfather about the Model A era , the struggles and the delights. I had never ridden in one or new much about them.

In the sping of 2007 , I stumbled onto one by shear luck (1931 AA Dump all orginal) , wasn't looking for one. It was only about three miles from my house and I had driven by it for years. It was hidden behind a house , under a fir tree , covered in at leased six inches of fir needles. The old boy that owned it was moving having lived there since the early thirties. I bought it that day. A year later , it was on the road. My first test drive was with out a windshield. If you ever want to get your face sandblasted with dust , rust and dirt ..... that's the way to do it! ha ha Anyway ... I enjoy it very much. I've restored it mechanically where needed but will leave the interior and exterior as found.

Happy Trails to you.
Attachments
1931 AA Ford 4-08.jpg
1931 AA Ford 4-08.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 6979 times
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Re: NEW MEMBER ..... HELLO

Post by russ »

Howdy Jeff, sounds like an enviable connection to the past. Looks like a great find on the dump truck too. Looking forward to more pics. Welcome to the forum.
Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
JEFF I

Post by JEFF I »

Thanks

Here's a picture of their first truck. I believe it's a 1928 or 29 model based on it having the more square looking cab. The photo was taken in 1933 and my grandfather told me he's checking to see if the tires were going to rub.
Attachments
Truck #1  1928, 29.jpg
Truck #1 1928, 29.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
JEFF I

Post by JEFF I »

More pictures ,

Gramps and truck #1. Truck #2 , 1930 with tag axle and salvaged lumber. They used to hire guys to just pull nails all day.
Attachments
Truck #2  1930 AA.jpg
Truck #2 1930 AA.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
JEFF I

Post by JEFF I »

It seems I can only send one picture with each post?

Anyway .... here's a picture of my grandfather from 1933 who just hopped out of truck #1 , wearing trucking garb of the day.
Attachments
1933 Trucking garb.jpg
1933 Trucking garb.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Grate pictures. The first one is an early '30, the second one looks like a BB, it looks like
there is a vent in front of the windshield and the third one is probably a '30 has a '30 steering wheel .
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

Hey Jeff, great photo's,those guy,s loaded those truck's up to the hilt,then to LA.and back to seattle,what else ya gonna do,no benie's have to do what you have to!!!
ART
JEFF I

Post by JEFF I »

I'm putting together a vintage trucking costume of the 30's. I have the type of cap and boots that my grandfather is wearing but have not found those style of pants. Does anyone have a clue where I might find a pair. I think there called "Knickers" ?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

JEFF I wrote:I'm putting together a vintage trucking costume of the 30's. I have the type of cap and boots that my grandfather is wearing but have not found those style of pants. Does anyone have a clue where I might find a pair. I think there called "Knickers" ?
Also called jodhpur's.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... ie%3DUTF-8
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Gotta cock that cap off to one side, might have to get one of them myself.