New guy in IL

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

New guy in IL

Post by vtwinsideways »

Hello,
My name is Luke McLeod, I am 34 and I am from the middle of IL. I got into Model A's about 5 years ago with a early '31 Ford Model A p/u. It's been loads of fun and the last 2 years I have taken it to the Newport Hill Climb in Newport In. Last year my Mom and Dad decided to go along. They had a great time (even in the cold and wet) and they were hooked. A friend had a '29 AA Stake that has been in her family for three generations, her Grandfather bought it new. Her grandfather gave the truck to her brother when he was a teenager. It had sat for several years and needed some tlc. The brother got it running and drove it around the farm and in several parades. He aquired a coupe and the AA fell by the wayside and was barned sometime in the mid-70's. Fast forward to the present day. The brother was killed in a car wreck a couple of years ago and my friend bought the truck from his estate, while her father bought the coupe. A bout a year ago, the father decided it was time to let go of some of his sons belongings and so my friend asked if I could find a buyer for the coupe. I did, and they got what they wanted out of it. Off-handedly I asked if she would be interested in selling the AA, she said no, that she was thinking of moving it to the front yard to plant flowers in/on. I shuddered a bit. I convinced her that it was in too nice of condition to put out to rust and decay. Before I left, she told me that since I had helped her dad with his coupe that if she did deecided to sell the AA in the future that I would have first rights to it. Last Friday, I recieved a call on my cell telling me that the truck is now for sale if I would like to buy it. Not having the time, money or space for another project right now I called my father to tell him the bad news, that I would be helping her sell the truck. Dad immediately wanted to know "How much?" I couldn't believe my ears, so I asked her what she wanted and Dad what he wanted to give. and to my surprise his top price and her bottom price matched- first try without either of them knowing what the others thoughts were! We'll be bringing the old girl home next week. I stuck a crank in her and she turns over smooth and has compression! She's missing a dizzy and a generator, but I think I can scrounge them and I hope to have her moving under her own power out of the barn and onto the trailer.
I have a couple of questions for those "in-the-know":
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to find rear fenders for the AA? The rears are tore in half and the back half is missing on both.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on tires? Are Snyders, Brattons and the like the only source for them?

Thanks so much for all the info I have already gleaned from the site, and thanks to the creator and admins for making such a forum possible.
Luke McLeod
vtwinsideways@yahoo.com
Last edited by vtwinsideways on March 29th, 2010, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways

Re: New guy in IL

Post by vtwinsideways »

Just found out that Dad's AA was produced in June of '29. It has a flatbed with dump. I will be helping him restore the truck. Thanks again. Luke
Luke in Illinois
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Welcome to the club 

Rear fenders are extremely hard to find, but they do pop up occasionally on ebay and this site. If you decide you would like to part with what is left of you old tattered fenders let me know I would be happy to purchase them.

On the subject of tires the cheapest I have found would be summit racing. You can get a coaker tire for 129.95 ea. and due to the total cost of buying four tires at once your shipping and handling cost is only 12.95 for all four tires. I think the cheapest option for the tubes and flaps would have to be macs auto parts.
Regards,
Jared
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Thanks Jared.
Luke in Illinois
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

vtwinsideways wrote:Hello,

Hey Luke, Nice story, me being born in Chicago, can relate to the weather,YUK!!,much nicer out west,lot's of good info on this site,most anything you want to know!,may i say from all, welcome!!
ART
My name is Luke McLeod, I am 34 and I am from the middle of IL. I got into Model A's about 5 years ago with a early '31 Ford Model A p/u. It's been loads of fun and the last 2 years I have taken it to the Newport Hill Climb in Newport In. Last year my Mom and Dad decided to go along. They had a great time (even in the cold and wet) and they were hooked. A friend had a '29 AA Stake that has been in her family for three generations, her Grandfather bought it new. Her grandfather gave the truck to her brother when he was a teenager. It had sat for several years and needed some tlc. The brother got it running and drove it around the farm and in several parades. He aquired a coupe and the AA fell by the wayside and was barned sometime in the mid-70's. Fast forward to the present day. The brother was killed in a car wreck a couple of years ago and my friend bought the truck from his estate, while her father bought the coupe. A bout a year ago, the father decided it was time to let go of some of his sons belongings and so my friend asked if I could find a buyer for the coupe. I did, and they got what they wanted out of it. Off-handedly I asked if she would be interested in selling the AA, she said no, that she was thinking of moving it to the front yard to plant flowers in/on. I shuddered a bit. I convinced her that it was in too nice of condition to put out to rust and decay. Before I left, she told me that since I had helped her dad with his coupe that if she did deecided to sell the AA in the future that I would have first rights to it. Last Friday, I recieved a call on my cell telling me that the truck is now for sale if I would like to buy it. Not having the time, money or space for another project right now I called my father to tell him the bad news, that I would be helping her sell the truck. Dad immediately wanted to know "How much?" I couldn't believe my ears, so I asked her what she wanted and Dad what he wanted to give. and to my surprise his top price and her bottom price matched- first try without either of them knowing what the others thoughts were! We'll be bringing the old girl home next week. I stuck a crank in her and she turns over smooth and has compression! She's missing a dizzy and a generator, but I think I can scrounge them and I hope to have her moving under her own power out of the barn and onto the trailer.
I have a couple of questions for those "in-the-know":
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to find rear fenders for the AA? The rears are tore in half and the back half is missing on both.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on tires? Are Snyders, Brattons and the like the only source for them?

Thanks so much for all the info I have already gleaned from the site, and thanks to the creator and admins for making such a forum possible.
Luke McLeod
vtwinsideways@yahoo.com