Barn Find AA in IL: Pics!

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Barn Find AA in IL: Pics!

Post by vtwinsideways »

Finally got to show Dad his "new" truck today, so I took along the camera so I could show you guys too. She's a bit mix-n-match. We're still not sure what all is there, but it has an accessory dump and dual-high. The rearend appears to be '30-'31 and it has 5 hole wheels on the back and 6 hole on the front. It also came with a cabinet full of spare parts, a Budd lugwrench and 12 lugnuts for duals. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Re: Barn Find AA in IL: Pics!

Post by miner art »

Hey that look's like a '29 cab? Great photo's,is that your dad checkin it out???
ART
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Yeah Art it's a June '29, The rear is the only thing '30-'31 so far. That's what I meant about mix-n-match. We found out today that it went down a ravine and possibly rolled earlier in the last century. According to rumor the owner had just sold a load of hogs and stopped in at a local watering hole on the way home. It doesn't show any indication of being rolled now, so either someone spent a lot of time fixing, or the rumors may have been exaggerated. However we did find an old empty tin/steel Falstaff can behind the drivers seat. Yeah, that's Dad. He was in TX fishing last week, so I did the buying for him and he just got to see her for the first time today. He's super excited. Luke
Luke in Illinois
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Great looking truck. This should make a nice start to a restoration. The only other parts that I noticed were 30-31 were the front bumper and rear wheels. If you want to get your self a worm rear I know of a few in the New England area.
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Me and Dad were like little kids cranking the bed up and down. Waiting on a box of parts from Snyders today. Hopefully we can get it started in the next few days and get her home. Luke
Luke in Illinois
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Hey Jared,
There's that cross member you were looking for.

Only joking, Looks like a nice truck to get into.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Nice looking truck. At first I thought the front bumper was a late one also but it is to wide,
must be off of some other car or truck.

Bob
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Ya Bob, not sure what it is, guessing 30's or 40's car.
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Finally got her home today! Drove her out of the barn she hadn't left since 1975! She started like a dream. Went for a spin around the previous owner's yard and then loaded her up. Drove her home, unloaded her and Dad took her for a trip around the farm. What a day! This is the first barn-find and barn-resurrection for both of us, it was a blast! Still don't have a name for her yet, so she's the "Old Girl" for now. The truck was purchased new at a Ford dealer in Springfield Il by Fred Brainer in 1929. It was the only new vehicle Fred ever purchased. She served Freds family as a farm truck, hauling hogs, grain, cattle and kids. Three generations of the Brainer family cared for her for 81 years and now she has a new family. Hopefully she'll still be here in another 81 years. I'll try to link some video if I can this week- stay tuned! Luke

P.S. I tend to get sentimental about things...sorry in advance if I make anyone sick.
Luke in Illinois
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Hey Luke Tell me the 110 volt switch on the left of the steering wheel runs the horn? Nice job of wiring! :lol: Den
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

You guessed it Den. That was the scaryest part of the whole truck- the previous owners wiring job!
Luke in Illinois
popcorn-guy
Model Year: 1930

Post by popcorn-guy »

I'm really glad that you posted the photos as it shows that the "Express" rear fenders are not unique to the Express. They were provided on the other beds as well and most of the flatbed fellows threw them off as they were "in the way". I took note of the spare tire carrier and wonder if the spare would be in the way of the operation of the dump bed?

Have fun.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

If those are AA Express fenders, what are these?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Chris,
If the front section which fits the splash apron are a radius to fit the '28 to mid '30 aprons, then the fenders pictured are '28 to mid '30 AA rear fenders (used on the panel delivery, express, and option on the platform from early '28 to mid '29).

If the front section which fits the splash apron are square to fit the '30-'31 style aprons, then the fenders are for the mid '30 to Dec. '30 AA express.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by popcorn-guy »

Well it's tough to tell with both of the fenders in such a large shadow. Try using a flash in the daytime as it will remove all/most of a shadow which would enable one to i.d. the subject. Also take more than one photo of it from head on. Try shooting a 3/4 view and side views of each side so that there is enough information to make and i.d.

I"ve not seen AA rear fenders with t/l bracket holes drilled in the fenders previously, which leads me to believe that one of those belongs to another marque. The other, it's difficult to see if it has the profile for it to follow the splash apron where the "pie" shaped filler is located between the fender, splash apron and sill.

Perhaps when you have a moment you could take additional photos and post those and perhaps one of the members could i.d. them. I know that my nos AA fenders do not match those. That doesn't mean that these don't belong to a unique model of AA, such as an after market mfg. who used his own fenders for the AA. ????