Wishing I'd Known!

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 12th, 2010, 4:02 pm

My name is Norman Reed. I just sent my check to Neil Wilson for a years membership to FMAATC. I have been browsing this site for a couple of years now, but I've now begun to get serious with the project and I figure I'll need help to make the finished product presentable. Therefore, I am going to try to post a picture of a 'before' of my truck to the clubhouse site, and then post images of my progress at various stages along the way.
I received some bad advice from an individual who was more interested in selling parts than helping a rookie so my truck won't win any trophy's;(incorrect frame); but it will be pretty good for a first try, I hope.
I already had the frame and engine restored from two separate parts trucks before I bought the truck in the picture. I bought this truck for the cab but I should have started over with it instead. At least I'll have a good starting place for my next one.
Image

User avatar
gunmetal
Posts: 304
Joined: August 21st, 2010, 7:28 am
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929
Location: Milford, Indiana

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by gunmetal » November 12th, 2010, 5:52 pm

what do you mean wrong frame? she looks good to me, the truck........1930 AA truck what for bed you going to put on it.

User avatar
TomH
Posts: 181
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928
Location: Eastern PA

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by TomH » November 12th, 2010, 11:00 pm

It looks presentable to me in my humble opinion.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body

User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 13th, 2010, 5:42 am

TomH wrote:It looks presentable to me in my humble opinion.
Tom H
This truck is titled as a '31. The body is very straight and the engine runs. In fact we drove it onto the trailer when we got it. What I meant when I said I had the wrong frame is I already had a 29/30 frame in the shop restored with the engine,front end,rear end, brakes,steering and drive line all done. All these things came from two other 'parts trucks' that I bought earlier. One was more or less a doodle bug with chopped AA frame and the other was just a frame and running gear less engine.
I plan to put a stake bed on it but that is down the road a bit.

User avatar
gunmetal
Posts: 304
Joined: August 21st, 2010, 7:28 am
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929
Location: Milford, Indiana

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by gunmetal » November 14th, 2010, 6:27 pm

from what I see there it is a 1930 AA truck. my 2 cents

User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 15th, 2010, 1:48 am

gunmetal wrote:from what I see there it is a 1930 AA truck. my 2 cents
I can't argue with you because I'm not up on the finer points of the differences between '30 and '31. It would be a big help to me if you could point out what makes it a '30 instead of a '31. Thanks for your help in advance. Here is another picture that could help?
Attachments
MVC-007F.jpg
MVC-007F.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 3846 times

User avatar
rollingsculpture
Posts: 553
Joined: December 9th, 2008, 7:30 am
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931
Location: Takoma Park maryland

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by rollingsculpture » November 15th, 2010, 5:41 am

looks like a 30 from the headlights ,chrome bumper, 5hole smooth /rounded bud wheels (not reinforced ) and mirror bracket location

User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 15th, 2010, 7:49 am

rollingsculpture wrote:looks like a 30 from the headlights ,chrome bumper, 5hole smooth /rounded bud wheels (not reinforced ) and mirror bracket location

I was wondering about the headlights because they have the extra little light on top. I thought they might be an aftermarket item added sometime later. I have a really nice pair of headlights from a '30 school buss that I could use that are like most I've seen but if the ones in the picture are standard equipment for a '30 truck I'll use them and save the buss lights. I'm thinking of doing a pickup next, if I live long enough!
I really appreciate the interest and the help. If it wasn't for a very understanding wife and an old truck I wouldn't be back into computers and typing. I've been away from computers since retirement ten years ago and typing fifty years ago.
By the way, getting pictures to post on this forum directly from my own pictures is a lot easier than using photobucket, at least for me.

bud valerius
Posts: 313
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 5:24 am
Model Year: 1930
Location: Manhattan , Kansas

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by bud valerius » November 15th, 2010, 7:57 am

The only way you can know for sure is to lift the cab & check the vin # on the frame , you have the deluxe double bumper , which is a fairley rare item and apears to be complete , the head lights and mirror bracket are not correct for 30 or 31 and most likely after market as the turn signels are also . It looks like you got a well maintained truck , most are well abused

User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 15th, 2010, 12:01 pm

bud valerius wrote:The only way you can know for sure is to lift the cab & check the vin # on the frame , you have the deluxe double bumper , which is a fairley rare item and apears to be complete , the head lights and mirror bracket are not correct for 30 or 31 and most likely after market as the turn signels are also . It looks like you got a well maintained truck , most are well abused


I checked the vin# on the pictured truck and it is AA3849258. Haven't checked the motor # yet. I figured the rear view wasn't right because someone drilled holes in the door to mount it.I'll plan to use the buss lights instead. I've already restored the turn signals and the fenders are drilled for them and I think they look neat so they will be on the finished truck. I couldn't check the vin# on the frame that is finished because I didn't want to disturb this excellent wood grain dash. Notice the pressurized fuel system.

Image

User avatar
vtwinsideways
Posts: 444
Joined: March 19th, 2010, 6:37 pm
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929
Location: Taylorville IL

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by vtwinsideways » November 15th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Any interest in parting with the pictured headlights? Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois

Bob C
Posts: 1169
Joined: April 24th, 2003, 11:50 am
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931
Location: SO CAL

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by Bob C » November 15th, 2010, 6:44 pm

You say the frame is "incorrect", whats wrong with it?

User avatar
towtruck
Posts: 93
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Body Type: service car
Model Year: 1930

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by towtruck » November 15th, 2010, 8:02 pm

that truck looks a lot better then what I started with have fun with it :D

User avatar
nreed
Posts: 61
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931
Location: Hartford City, Ind.

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by nreed » November 16th, 2010, 4:52 am

Bob C wrote:You say the frame is "incorrect", whats wrong with it?


Notice the expanded holes in the second cross member. Also the cross member above the third member is arched not straight across(not shown). I was sold this frame as a '31 and didn't know any different mainly because I was just getting started in this obsession. I bought a model AA that had the frame cut behind the cab and shortened about 3 feet with only the cowl and windshield, hood, and radiator left. Don't have a picture handy but when I find it I'll post it.

Image

User avatar
rollingsculpture
Posts: 553
Joined: December 9th, 2008, 7:30 am
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931
Location: Takoma Park maryland

Re: Wishing I'd Known!

Post by rollingsculpture » November 16th, 2010, 9:56 am

heres a pic of my 31 frame 131
Attachments
31AA frame.jpg
31AA frame.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3763 times

Post Reply