Building a shed for the truck

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Building a shed for the truck

Post by modeleh »

I am working on a 22x52 shed to park the trucks in. The AA is helping out with the lumber hauling. Now I am glad to have the 157" wb, the 14' boards only hang off the deck 3'. The round trip to the lumber yard was about 40 miles, a little slower up the hills, but it sure rides better over the bumps with the weight on.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: Building a shed for the truck

Post by Shorthaul »

Now I am getting envious.....Passed through there quite awhile back after getting off the ferry from Horseshoe Bay. Nice place for A double A.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

I see a concrete block foundation and it looks like you are going to have a dirt floor. What are you doing with those logs that are kinda in the middle of the shed. Were you using them for raising that 52' wall???? Nice looking AA and dog by the way. By no floor it gets classified as a shed I guess and not a garage.
TomH
Body Type: pickup

Post by TomH »

Great pictures,
That looks like a pretty good load. Did it squat down much? I believe it road a lot smoother with the load, but I often wonder what it was like to spend 10 hours a day in one. Looks like Henry is on guard already.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Shorthaul wrote:Now I am getting envious.....Passed through there quite awhile back after getting off the ferry from Horseshoe Bay. Nice place for A double A.
All the way from California? If you're ever back this way let me know.
TomH wrote:Great pictures,
That looks like a pretty good load. Did it squat down much? I believe it road a lot smoother with the load, but I often wonder what it was like to spend 10 hours a day in one. Looks like Henry is on guard already.
It did squat down some for sure, but you could tell that it was still hardly loaded. You'd never want that much weight in a one ton pickup. The guys that overloaded these trucks back in the day must have had some incredible loads. 10 hours in one wouldn't be much fun for sure. Yes, Henry thinks he is getting a bigger dog house. :wink:
flatford39 wrote:I see a concrete block foundation and it looks like you are going to have a dirt floor. What are you doing with those logs that are kinda in the middle of the shed. Were you using them for raising that 52' wall???? Nice looking AA and dog by the way. By no floor it gets classified as a shed I guess and not a garage.
The foundation is one solid pour, the shed will be split in the middle so there are two 22x26 bays, one will have concrete floor, insulated and have an 8 foot ceiling so I can have storage above it for car parts. I'll be able to get 3 cars in there. The other side will be a gravel floor for now, it will have 11-15' ceiling clearance so I can get my old Airstream trailer under. The log in the center is a Douglas Fir that was in the way, so I felled it and bucked it to 56' then powersawed it to about a 9x12 beam. You can see in the pics I am making temporary lifting points so I can hoist the log up onto the posts, then I will jack the log in the center to get the belly out of it and install the center post. This will be my ridge beam, it is going to be a lean-to type roof sloping only toward the back wall.
I call it a shed, because it will be for storage only, for the last few years my workshop has become more of a storage building and I'd like to get some workspace back. This has been a slow project for me, it seems I am always doing things the hard way, but usually that is the case when you are a cheapskate and don't like to hire anything out.
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

Keep the pics coming on the shed build. I am just like you and try to do everything myself. I love working alone and figureing out how to do things by myself that would normally take 3 or 4 other guys. It's not because I am cheap it's more a matter of pride with me.

It took my wife along time to get used to it but now she just kinda keeps herself busy somewhere not in eye shot until I am done.
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

flatford39 wrote: I am just like you and try to do everything myself. I love working alone and figureing out how to do things by myself that would normally take 3 or 4 other guys. It's not because I am cheap it's more a matter of pride with me.
Cool. I thought i was the only one like that. I feel much better now, thanks. :)
Oh yeah, very nice spread you've got there. Henry can really stretch his legs there. I like to see that, as where i live folks keep their animals penned up in little back yards and never let them out. Sucks for the dogs.
I bet Henry knows how good he's got it.
Everybody likes pics.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

I'm a cheapskate to, but I tend to do the right thing, just takes allot longer. Glad to see others in my shoes.

I wish I could build my "Shed" without the Building Dept seeing it, but no...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

spectria wrote:I wish I could build my "Shed" without the Building Dept seeing it, but no...
I had a friend who lived in South Lake Tahoe. The building permit and inspection folks up there are hell on wheels. He bought all the wood T&G siding to use on the new garage he was going to build. He repainted his house and also painted all his new siding the same color. He left the siding outside in the weather for a season. The next year he got a permit for re roofing the house and garage. He did re roof the house with the attached garage. No inspector came to inspect the re roof job. He then prefabbed all his walls inside his existing garage. Parked his truck sideways on the property obscuring the view from the highway and poured the foundation during the week. As soon as darkness fell on Friday nite he and he friends threw the prefabbed walls on the foundation. Before Monday morning came around the garage was finished. Old plants and weeds carefully unmolested during construction grew next to the new building making it appear to have been there a long time. Insulation inside the garage hid the new wood. It was several months before an inspector came by and said I don't remember that building being there. He said it had been there for years and showed the permit to re roof the house and garage some months before. The inspector left grumbling. :D
spectria

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:
spectria wrote:I wish I could build my "Shed" without the Building Dept seeing it, but no...
...I had a friend who lived in South Lake Tahoe. The building permit and inspection folks up there are hell on wheels... ... Before Monday morning came around the garage was finished... ...The inspector left grumbling. :D
I have pulled the same stunt, but recently they hired a youn'un and he takes digital pics of everything he looks at, so I'm kinda trapped. It's not like I didn't think of that, but thanks for the suggestion, I actually built an entire floor on my house using the pre-fabed aged siding technique.
When I was asked about it years later, I said, "I don't know when it was built, I remember it always being there." They couldn't prove it wasn't (before the digital pics age) so I skated.
Anyhow, that house is long gone in my history, and I would have gladly paid for permits, but they would never have been issued, so I just did it.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Thanks for the moral support guys. Like I said, this is a slow project, and now that there is no useful daylight by the time I get home from work during the week, that only leaves weekends and those days are weather dependent. I managed to beat the heavy rains yesterday morning and was able to convince one of my pals to come over to help get my beam hoisted in place. Everything went the way I have dreamed about it for the last 3 years while I have been working around this damn log. What a great feeling to be able to walk under it finally! If the weather is good next weekend, I hope to have the front wall sections framed up.
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

That is cool. I love it when a plan comes to fruition. Keep posting pics of this please. I for one find it fascinating. Looks like you used a come along on each side and pulled it up into place. Like I said I like working alone and probably would have worn a path between the two ladders.

Tom
spectria

Post by spectria »

modeleh wrote:Thanks for the moral support guys. Like I said, this is a slow project, and now that there is no useful daylight by the time I get home from work during the week, that only leaves weekends and those days are weather dependent. I managed to beat the heavy rains yesterday morning and was able to convince one of my pals to come over to help get my beam hoisted in place. Everything went the way I have dreamed about it for the last 3 years while I have been working around this damn log. What a great feeling to be able to walk under it finally! If the weather is good next weekend, I hope to have the front wall sections framed up.
I wanted to mention something about heating the "Shed". I recently did a volunteer job of Fabing up the plumbing for a "Hydronic" Warm Floors system in a 300 square foot Commercial bathroom at 3500 ft altitude in Nor Cal where the temps reach minus degrees in the winter.
I was completely surprised by the effectiveness of a simple system that included an Instant Water heater (a Noritz rated at 199K BTU and rated for constant use as in a recirculating Coolant system) and a pump controlled by a TACO controller and a simple thermostat.

The system heated the floors and rooms in 15 minutes from 40 degrees to 70 (we had to turn it down to almost off) and with the system shut down, the slab floor maintained the heat in the building for almost 8 hours before the temp drooped to 55. It was 30 degrees outside at the time.
It runs on propane, and does require about 4 amps total for the the controller, the Fan forced Noritz, and the water pump. It is a closed system, so requires special Pex tubing for in the floors that can tolerate iron and other build-ups in the closed system, and it uses a mixture of 30 to 50% coolant (non-toxic).
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

yes, I had a chain block on one side and a chain come along on the other, and used a second chain come along for re-rigging part way up because the travel on the chains wasn't long enough for a one shot go.
Dave, funny you mention hot water heat, my pal seen in the checker coat is who I want to be like when I grow up, he has 5 acres of antiques from the steam era and brass car era, and he uses hot water heat to heat his buildings. He uses the old cast iron registers and we just recently hooked up two boilers in tandem to the system so we can fire one with either new or used oil, and the other with either wood, or a sawdust auger we have built. Works awesome. The hot water heat is really nice, but I'm only planning on keeping half of this shed with heat, and it will only be just to keep the dampness off so I'll just be using electric. I figure if I spend some money doing a good job of insulating it, it shouldn't cost too much to keep a little bit of heat in there. My workshop has a woodstove and a pellet stove and I do have an old swimming pool heater with a copper heat exchanger that I have thought about adapting to the pellet stove for a hot water boiler, but that's probably a pipe dream that will never happen.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC

Post by farmerden »

Nice job on the shed! I'm building a shop as well and it will be 2 years in June! But the roof is on! All that was required was a siting permit cause I'm on a farm $50.00 and no inspections! That 's Harry in the photo isn't it? And yes he's got quite a place! Keep up the good work the snow is holding off so far! Den