Doodle bugs

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
56Hotrodder
Model Year: 1930

Doodle bugs

Post by 56Hotrodder »

Howdy All, I just wanted to throw this out there to see what info surfaces. I bought a 29 AA doodlebug,( skeeter, tractor, ???) about ten years ago with the idea that I would use the parts in the rebuilding of one of my other A/AA projects. As it turns out I got by without using those parts. I am considering building an A speedster of some sort and am looking at this unit as a basis for parts. I have recently noticed a group of enthusiasts who build and show? these vehicles as they are. Is there a big following for these?? BEFORE I cut it up to use it for the parts, engine ,trans, cowl, front end; is there any interest in it as is? I would trade for a cowl and a few other pieces I need as I already have an A frame ,engine , hood Rad. rear etc. Before you ask for pictures we have to let the snow melt!!! I am in sunny warm N.C. and the "bug " is in a shed at my house in snowy , cold Maine. Any info you can provide on the doodlebug crowd (if it even exists) would be very helpful. I have something of a phobia about cutting up or re-purposing some thing that someone else might find usefull. Heaven knows I have done it enough in the past. I once junked a 40 ford pick up because I wanted the juice front brakes to complete the front axel out of the 40 something Merc convertible I had junked for the front axel to put in my cherry 55 Chev Bel Air that I was cutting up to build a drag car. You get the picture!! that was nearly 50 years ago, I do get it now. Thanks all, Rick 56 Hotrodder
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Doodle bugs

Post by Brian T »

Hello 56Hotrodder,
If you do piece it out someone on the east coast I am sure would like to have the rear axle if it is the so called high speed worm drive 5-17.
Brian T
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Hey 56Hotrodder, welcome!

I think most on this forum want to try and maintain originality over cutting things up, so if you are thinking of keeping it as is, you have come to the correct place. I speak only for myself though...

I personally love the Bucket T's and Hot Rods, but only if that was all they could be made into due to rust, rot, damage etc. Besides, a person can literally buy every part they need to build a Hot Rod, but finding Tudor Doors, and Uncut Cabs and beds/platforms has really been tough on allot of us.

I would love to see what you have, so when the snow melts, please post some pictures for us, and you will get lots of input and opinions...

Before you cut, please post here what you need, and what you have in the For Sale category!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Post by Roadster AA »

Hello Rick,
I live in cold snowy Maine and I have a 31 AA Doddlebug. I also have lots of A and AA parts. I may have something you need and I like Doddlebugs! So maybe we can work something out on a trade.I have a file with about 50 pictures of Model A and AA doddlebugs.
When the snow melts in June or early July I hope you can post some pictures of your AA. Yesterday I took a picture of my Doddlebug with 2 feet of snow on the roof.I will try to post it later.
I will be going to N.C. soon to visit my brother in law.
Stay warm.
Pat
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA

Post by johnnydidd »

I am a Doodlebug nut I purchased one this last June it is a 1928 AA, I love it would like to see pictures from anyone having one, I will post mine below. Thanks John

Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

John:

Where's your gear-shift lever knob? Or, did doodlebugs come that way?

Drew
Drew Mashburn
johnnydidd

Post by johnnydidd »

Drew, the gear shift knob was missing and can't seem to find one at any parts house it has a 5/16 thread, they are out of stock maybe waiting on the boat. John
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

John: The gear shift knobs are quite easy to make out of an old door knob - much more interesting too...
Getting that 'underdrive' out of the frame just might involve moving the engine and trans forward., unless the big crossmember has been out before and is now bolted. I have one thats an A frame, cut in half, and reversed to slide the rear tapered part into the channel- then welded. There's a TT rear welded in place, and it slunds like a locomotive in a gravel bed... The front axle is AA, and the builder mixed half of the upper A spring leaves on top of half the original AA spring leaves at the perch mounts. It was used by a forest ranger in north New Yawk state. It had two different size tires on the rear, with the wheels welded to the TT hubs. Your buggy is coming along great, and best of luck with the work. -fb
johnnydidd

Post by johnnydidd »

If the underdrive was not used on the four speed, sure would make things easier if I didnt use it. I have a another rear end and transmission, it does not have a underdrive in it. Good idea to remove the under drive. John
56Hotrodder

Post by 56Hotrodder »

Hello all, Just an update; I traded the doodlebug to AA Roadster (Pat) for some VERY NICE parts and stuff. I saw it a few weeks ago and he had made great progress on it. Maybe I can embarass him enough to put a couple of pics up on this thread.!! There are numerous bugs that come up for sale here and there. Is there enough interest to post leads? I don't want to clog upthe forum with unwanted info. Thanks to all for all the help so far, Rick