Just whining about repop parts

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
Bill James
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Just whining about repop parts

Post by Bill James »

I have to post this while I'm in the right mood. Also I hope this the right place to post.
I'm new to the A/AA rebuilding commnity, I have worked on other old cars, while being envious of all the after market stuff for the A/AA.
Now that I'm deep into my early 30 grain truck I'm not near as envious!
Is it just me, or has other folks had the problem with foriegn made crap that does't fit anything?
For instance, I bought all the parts for the head lights, what a bunch of junk!! Nothing fits!!
Another item, I bought a bolt set for the steering box to frame, while tightening with a regular 1/2' ratchet, one of the bolts snaped right at the threads!! A 7/16' bolt!! I guess it's better to break now than while I'm driving down the road at 110 MPH!!
Well, I could go on for an hour, but you get the idea.
You know, I love working on old rusty iorn stuff, always have, the challange of researching how stuff works and bringing something historic back to life. I just wanted to whine a little, sorry.
I'll go find some crackers and cheese to go with my whine. Bill James
russ
Body Type: 82a

Re: Just whining about repop parts

Post by russ »

Howdy Bill. Feel better now? :wink:

110 mph is nearly terminal velocity, so unless you plan to drive 'er off a cliff don't sweat that part. As slow as these babies are, you can pretty much reach down and catch parts as they fall off. Catasrophic failure of a critical part will usually just bring ya to a halt right where you are.

On a marginally more serious note, most repop parts really are crap. I know, i've bought most of 'em at one time or another. Best to hunt for original parts and try to patch 'em up like new.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Bill James
Body Type: 82A

Post by Bill James »

Yep, Russ, I feel better :) I have learned my lesson about "new" parts, of course I'm spending much more time cleaning greasy, rusty, old parts and chasing threads than wrench'n. Oh well, keeps me outa the bars :roll:
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

I will never buy a reproduction part and expect it to be like original (or fit). Sometimes and original part can not be found. I have yet to find any bolt kits which are the same as original. My view is - buy reproduction parts and be unhappy or wait and fine original! You might end up with a couple of parts vehicles finding original parts. There are a few excellent reproduction parts - finding them is the problem.
Regards, Neil Wilson