Follow up on lifting 28 cab

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
lowtide
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Follow up on lifting 28 cab

Post by lowtide »

Photo 1 shows the lifting frame. The legs were 2x4 12' long, the cross braces were rough saw pine boards 1x5 rough cut to length and doubled up. The top cross piece was 2-2x4's fastened together. Drive screws were used to secure parts.(made easy to dissassemble) The space between legs was 5', space between uprights was 7'+/- The corner gussetts were 44". The assembly was built on the ground and stood up as a unit with a little help. NOTE you can see the cab work cart just behind the cab. Two pulleys were secured to the top beam with chains near the legs. A 2x6 was secured to the door header with clamps and adjusted so the cab had just a little angle. Two 1/2" eyebolts were fastened to the 2x6. (doors were off). Two come-alongs were fastened to the cross braces and the hook to the eye bolts. Not one problem, I lowered the cab alone in 10 minutes I hope the helps. lowtide
Attachments
Copy (1) of IMG_0404.JPG
Copy (1) of IMG_0404.JPG (65.43 KiB) Viewed 11952 times
Copy (1) of IMG_0407.JPG
Copy (1) of IMG_0407.JPG (62.56 KiB) Viewed 11952 times
Copy (1) of IMG_0410.JPG
Copy (1) of IMG_0410.JPG (68.31 KiB) Viewed 11952 times
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis

Re: Follow up on lifting 28 cab

Post by Harry Lipki »

Well done ... Simple design , safe , and efficient ... You must be related to Henry Ford :idea:
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Post by russ »

As harry said, well done, and thanks for sharin'. 8) Another handy labor-savin' idea brought to you by the good folks at the best little AA club in town. 8)

I'm wondering if after using it, you found the need for it to be 11.5' tall? If 8.5' were tall enough, i could do this in my 9' garage.

If i may think alound for a moment, 24" of lift would seem to be sufficient to accomodate the combined angle on the dangle, and a bit for clearing the rear crossmember hump when backing the chassis under it, no? I'm thinkin' our trucks are about 6.5' tall, so i should have about 2' of raising clearance on a 8.5' gantry.

By the way, why didja want some angle on the cab coming down?

Many thanks for sharing your idea and pics. This will surely prove to be handy for the solo builder like myself.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
lowtide

Post by lowtide »

Russ, The reason for the 12' was the truck was fully assembled. Gear shift, steering column, etc plus when I take it apart I still have 4 12 2x4s. 10" 2x4s might have worked. I didn't want to be 1" short. I drove it around the block yesterday, PERFECT. lowtide
russ

Post by russ »

Understood. Congrats on that first drive. Anxiously looking forward to my first drive.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I got a couple friends and we lifted my body by hand. Removing the shifter and brake lever was simple.
russ

Post by russ »

Clever chris...but as i understand it lowtides "truck was fully assembled. Gear shift, steering column, etc" which would cause you and your friends to have to reach really high. Would have been an amazing feat of strength and dexterity for lowtide working solo, wouldn't ya think?
Everybody likes pics.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

russ wrote:Clever chris...but as i understand it lowtides "truck was fully assembled. Gear shift, steering column, etc" which would cause you and your friends to have to reach really high. Would have been an amazing feat of strength and dexterity for lowtide working solo, wouldn't ya think?

As I said, the shifter and brake lever were removed. Both in less than 5 minutes. How long to build his A frame?
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Chris: Sometimkes, NOT having a couple of friends around can be the most valueable means to doing anything. Lowtide did what he wanted to do, the way he wanted to do it. The steering column could have also been a determining factor in his choice of method. I don't know the big deal about 5 minutes... I could remove the body in much less time than that - simply tip it over on it's side and drag it between two trees with a John Deer 720 - then have a great start to a doodlebug. Not everybody is in your Army, but we still respect a lot of your tactics... you could 'lighten up' once in awhile though. - fb
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Brady wrote:Chris: Sometimkes, NOT having a couple of friends around can be the most valueable means to doing anything. Lowtide did what he wanted to do, the way he wanted to do it. The steering column could have also been a determining factor in his choice of method. I don't know the big deal about 5 minutes... I could remove the body in much less time than that - simply tip it over on it's side and drag it between two trees with a John Deer 720 - then have a great start to a doodlebug. Not everybody is in your Army, but we still respect a lot of your tactics... you could 'lighten up' once in awhile though. - fb

You should do the same when suggesting that my friends reach really high.
TomH
Body Type: pickup

Post by TomH »

Chris Haynes wrote:
Brady wrote:Chris: Sometimkes, NOT having a couple of friends around can be the most valueable means to doing anything. Lowtide did what he wanted to do, the way he wanted to do it. The steering column could have also been a determining factor in his choice of method. I don't know the big deal about 5 minutes... I could remove the body in much less time than that - simply tip it over on it's side and drag it between two trees with a John Deer 720 - then have a great start to a doodlebug. Not everybody is in your Army, but we still respect a lot of your tactics... you could 'lighten up' once in awhile though. - fb

You should do the same when suggesting that my friends reach really high.
Chris,
You might want to re- read who posted what. It took 4 of us to lift my cab off, and we had to reach really high to get over the steering column.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Lowtide, I do alot of work by myself also. Nice job on the lifting setup, and the truck looks great. It can be very rewarding doing things yourself, even if it takes 10x as long, you give your brain a workout (and usually your back too) trying to figure out how to get it done.
russ

Post by russ »

modeleh, i too do a lot of work alone and in fact prefer it. Some folks achieve a zen-like state of mind when they get into the shop, turn on the tunes, crack a soda or beer or what-have-ya, and grab a wrench. Speaking for myself, it don't get no better than that (unless i'm hangin' with my kids). :D
Everybody likes pics.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Amen to that Russ. That's what it's all about. Putz-ing around the shop with a cold one and some tunes trying to get something accomplished only to get sidetracked by something else you see that needs done, and when you finally go in the house, you've wasted the whole night and got nothing really done. :wink:
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Chris,
You might want to re- read who posted what. It took 4 of us to lift my cab off, and we had to reach really high to get over the steering column.
Tom H[/quote]

Tom,
I would have simply removed the column. It is only two bolts and two screws.