Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
JPB
Body Type: none, stakeside wtd
Model Year: 1929

Re: New Member

Post by JPB »

OK, mystery solved. ModelAkid wins the rusted out Franklin tail light shell.
This is a family affair. My sister ran down my niece who has the original photo and she just resent it at highest resolution. On this one I can clearly see the "47" on the plate. I can also see myself a lot clearer and the age fits. So, my dad was a little fuzzy on dates.
A couple of other things are now visible. What appear to be spare tire brackets appear on the cowl and running board. Was that standard?
There appears to be a mirror base at the top of the windshield column or window frame.
Half way down the windshield column is a short shaft projecting to the driver's left at right angles. Spotlight base?
Once aqain, thank you who jumped in on this. I now have a much better foundation for my search.
JPB
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

1941 California license plates were black with yellow letters, obviously not the plate on the truck.
In 1942 a yellow "tag" was bolted on all the way across the top of the '41 plate.
In '43 a steel tag was added on the upper right of the '41 plate with a "V" on it.
In '44 the renewed registration was a sticker in the windshield.
A new plate was issued in '45, black with white letters/numbers, one plate for rear only.
In '46 a yellow year tag was issued to put over the '45 previous year.
1947 saw all new license plate pairs, yellow with black.
'48-'50 two steel tags issued to put over '47 plates, front & rear.
'51 all new plates, black/yellow.
So the plate on the front of the '29 AA seems definitely a 1947, try to see if there is a year tag added. In any case the license registration number on the truck remained the same from '47 to '50.
JPB

Post by JPB »

ModelAkid wrote:1941 California license plates were black with yellow letters, obviously not the plate on the truck.
In 1942 a yellow "tag" was bolted on all the way across the top of the '41 plate.
In '43 a steel tag was added on the upper right of the '41 plate with a "V" on it.
In '44 the renewed registration was a sticker in the windshield.
A new plate was issued in '45, black with white letters/numbers, one plate for rear only.
In '46 a yellow year tag was issued to put over the '45 previous year.
1947 saw all new license plate pairs, yellow with black.
'48-'50 two steel tags issued to put over '47 plates, front & rear.
'51 all new plates, black/yellow.
So the plate on the front of the '29 AA seems definitely a 1947, try to see if there is a year tag added. In any case the license registration number on the truck remained the same from '47 to '50.
Our notes crossed in the mail. See mine above. You know your stuff and this will be good info to save!
Also visible now is a series of four smaller numbers and/or letters vertically down the left end of the plate. Can't be sure, but it looks like (top down) " ? 2 2 W ".
Once again, thank you. JPB
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Yes, I did not see your p.2 post before I posted the additional license info.
I cannot make out much of what is on the left side of the plate but it seems likely to be "FARM". "Farm" truck license plates are/were cheaper than regular truck plates. They probably don't have those anymore. (Everybody has to pay the MAX)
Here is a quick plate reference guide from the CA DMV:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf ... e_data.pdf
JPB

Post by JPB »

I've been back to the better picture with a magnifying glass and can't do any better. Still looks like ? 2 2 W, but I wouldn't bet the farm. Perhaps with a high def monitor?
Anyway, thanks for the DMV publication. My personal paying attention to license plates on our equipment probably dates to around the time I started driving and servicing them, in the early '50's and I don't remember us having farm plates on anything then. In any case, the help of a couple of you has advanced my search immensely. At the first opportunity, I'll be in touch with DMV and the Historical Society. Thanks again. JPB
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Hey JPB, Email me that pic please, I can mess with it in my software, maybe "raise" the numbers?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Hey, Gang:

Interesting thread! I've got a 1951 California license plate. On the left end of it is a "C" over a "O" that's over a "M". This meaning "commercial". Below the "M" is "19" for 1951. "51" is at the lower right corner of the plate. Is it possible that the plate being discussed could be a "COM" over a "19" plate? I'm suggesting that's what might be difficult to read.

Best,
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
JPB

Post by JPB »

Drew Mashburn wrote:Hey, Gang:

Interesting thread! I've got a 1951 California license plate. On the left end of it is a "C" over a "O" that's over a "M". This meaning "commercial". Below the "M" is "19" for 1951. "51" is at the lower right corner of the plate. Is it possible that the plate being discussed could be a "COM" over a "19" plate? I'm suggesting that's what might be difficult to read.

Best,
-- Drew
I don't think so, Drew, but I've already been wrong once on this. Let's hope Spectria can squeeze something out of it.
JPB
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

JPB,---- E-mail me I may have some info.
spectria

Post by spectria »

JPB wrote:
Drew Mashburn wrote:Hey, Gang:

Best,
-- Drew
I don't think so, Drew, but I've already been wrong once on this. Let's hope Spectria can squeeze something out of it.
JPB
JPB, I'll share with everybody what I find out...
JPB

Post by JPB »

BrianT wrote:JPB,---- E-mail me I may have some info.
I'm trying, BrianT!! I got your message yesterday and thought I'd answered it. Apparently I haven't found the right combination yet. Maybe this one will get through.
JPB
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Hello JPB,
The license plate in your picture has the same format as this picture of a California commercial plate that I have added,---- my enhancement shows me yours to be A 5784, it is bent forward around the 8, that is if it is an 8, which distorts the 4 a little, I can see COM clearly.
Regards Brian.
Attachments
47 COMMERCIAL LICENSE.PNG
47 COMMERCIAL LICENSE.PNG (132.45 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
spectria

Post by spectria »

JPB wrote: ...I don't think so, Drew, but I've already been wrong once on this. Let's hope Spectria can squeeze something out of it.
JPB
Here is what I am able to do with the data available... it's not much help
Attachment-1en sharp crop.jpg
Attachment-1en sharp crop.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 10105 times
Attachment-1en sharp enlarged cropped.jpg
Attachment-1en sharp enlarged cropped.jpg (81.81 KiB) Viewed 10105 times
Logic agrees with BrianT's assessment.
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Such amazing work on the photo Dave - almost like being there. That's a serious looking young fella standing by the front tire too. Great job, Thanks
JPB

Post by JPB »

Time will tell if this is the the end of the trail or there is a "rest of the story". Thanks, one and all. I'm certainly grateful to have been steered to this group and forum.
Now . . . which of you has this truck gathering dust in the back of the barn?
JPB