Stakeside Found

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
JPB
Body Type: none, stakeside wtd
Model Year: 1929

Stakeside Found

Post by JPB »

Folks,

Back in May, I introduced myself as a new member and displayed a photo of the prototype ranch truck from my past. (See New Member, 5/2/14) You all participated in a discussion of it and, along the way, I learned that I was actually looking for a Platform Body, not a Stakeside. Well, not quite six months later I have one, as a result of being a member of this Club and Forum, and I want to thank you all who have helped with my education. I thought I'd better start that way because now the questioning really begins!
Some introductory photos should appear here soon, through the good graces of a member who understands how to make that happen. Then I'll introduce the truck and ask a question.
JPB
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Stakeside Found

Post by spectria »

JPB photo (1) resize.jpg
JPB photo (1) resize.jpg (191.96 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
JPB photo (2) resize.jpg
JPB photo (2) resize.jpg (317.61 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
JPB photo (3) resize.jpg
JPB photo (3) resize.jpg (306.84 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A

Post by blgitn »

Lovely! Let's hear all about it. :)
R/ Roger.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Nice, Enjoy! :D
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Very nice, and best wishes. Not often seen rear fenders with platform.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

How far did you tow it on that short trailer??? Looks a little dangerous to me.
JPB

Post by JPB »

blgitn wrote:Lovely! Let's hear all about it. :)
OK, Thanks for asking. Red has a new home after 6 or 8 years of limbo. Originally from out of state, it took a while to satisfy DMV
but that was accomplished without too much pain. First question: what is AA naming protocol? This one is already the subject of a contest among my kids and grandkids to come up with a name and personalized license plate. Red is a temporary gender neutral tag that will work until it transforms back to it's original green, or the kids come up with a name. A casual reading of this forum reveals that many of you more knowledgable folk have chosen both male and female names for yours. So how do I know which I have?

My working concept is a lifelong ranch truck which has received better than average ranch level maintenance and repair over the years, is still working, but is not a show truck. Right now it falls quite a bit short of that goal. It makes a decent distant impression, but up close there is quite a bit of work to do. It looks to have been stored inside for much of it's life and fortunately, the only severe rust is in the left cowl panel, which is replaceable. The red paint looks like an aged quickie $39.95 job. Remember those. This cab was masked and painted in place while still showing green in places and overspray in others. Inside, it is worn and peeling green. It needs a complete new electrical system.

But the engine runs well and it should be drivable as soon as I replace some parts that were stolen from the former owner. It will be in our volunteer fire department car show early next month, as the "Before" example, even if I have to drag it with the tractor!
JPB

Post by JPB »

flatford39 wrote:How far did you tow it on that short trailer??? Looks a little dangerous to me.
150 miles at the freeway speed limit, during daylight. 3330 pound load on a 7000 lb GVW trailer with two winches, chains and binders and various other tie downs. Solid as a rock and well balanced. New LED towing lights on the rear of the truck, in compliance with law. I had that trailer custom built for a slightly shorter car about 20 years ago and it has an extendable tongue (which is half way out in the pictures.) for use with longer loads. With just short of 100,000 miles of trailer towing experience from coast to coast, plus a fair amount of cattle and fire truck driving, I judged it safe enough.
JPB

Post by JPB »

Brady wrote:Very nice, and best wishes. Not often seen rear fenders with platform.
Glad you mentioned those fenders. I took pictures to two informal Model A Club gatherings and stirred up some discussion among them and some AA owners who had sneaked in. Some say Ford routinely built them like that. Others say in might have been an Express that was modified. The fenders came with that little matching triangular piece that fills the gap between the main fender and the stringer of my bed (or the pickup bed of an Express). If Ford built them this way, what was their marketing concept? What rationale did they use to sell them. Not enough room there to carry goats in gunny sacks on the running boards.
JPB

Post by JPB »

JPB wrote:
Brady wrote:Very nice, and best wishes. Not often seen rear fenders with platform.
Glad you mentioned those fenders. I took pictures to two informal Model A Club gatherings and stirred up some discussion among them and some AA owners who had sneaked in. Some say Ford routinely built them like that. Others say in might have been an Express that was modified. The fenders came with that little matching triangular piece that fills the gap between the main fender and the stringer of my bed (or the pickup bed of an Express). If Ford built them this way, what was their marketing concept? What rationale did they use to sell them. Not enough room there to carry goats in gunny sacks on the running boards.

I meant to also ask about the bed on this truck. It does not have Ford in script on the rear crossmember, but a collector friend proposes that it may still be a Ford original bed. He points out that the standard underslung rear spare tire carrier is mated with the bed as if they were made for each other.
In support of his view, he has two trucks. One is a '30 shorty and it has the identical bed (with short running boards and no rear fenders). They are production-made beds of all riveted construction and are identical in every way.

Did I mention that mine has no cab build date in evidence but the engine number correlates to October 9, 1928 and it is registered as a '29. I have no information on frame number.

His second truck is a long wheel base '30 with a bed which is also identical in construction, except for length.

I would appreciate any opinions on this subject.
JPB
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Nice looking truck.
I have always been of the mind that trucks are guys and cars can be either.

Long running boards and rear fenders with the spacers are correct for your truck. This was an option for a more deluxe truck. If your careful when taking off some of the red paint you might be able to see pinstripping along the edges of thedoors and cowl. This was usually something that came standard on the trucks with long running boards and fenders. Be very glad that you have the fenders. They are hard to find and quite spendy if you do find them. Especially the right rear one.
Does your engine have two AA's in front of the engine number. I am guessing that it does not if shows it as a October 28. The engine would be too early. Your truck looks to have the larger rear drums that have a separate emergency brake system and I would hazard a guess that your brake lever is mounted to the gear shift tower.
1928 and very early 29's had the hand brake lever on the left side of the drivers position.
The bed and spare tire carrier are correct for your truck.
Do you know it you have the high speed rear end?
If driveable you will know as the low speed only gets you up into the teens or so for top speed. If not you can check the rear left side of the differential for an A or B stamping. A is low speed and B is high speed. Don't despair if you see an A stamping as sometimes the internal gears have been swapped out with high speed gears. You can jack up one rear wheel, put it in third gear, crank it by hand and count the number of rotations of the crank to make the wheel go one revolution. Just a little over 3 1/2 cranks to one wheel rotation is good news. Any more cranks than that and you got yourself a low speed rear end.

Do you have the dual high transmission?

Dave
------------
Dave
JPB

Post by JPB »

1crosscut wrote:Nice looking truck.

Long running boards and rear fenders with the spacers are correct for your truck. This was an option for a more deluxe truck. If your careful when taking off some of the red paint you might be able to see pinstripping along the edges of thedoors and cowl. This was usually something that came standard on the trucks with long running boards and fenders. Be very glad that you have the fenders. They are hard to find and quite spendy if you do find them. Especially the right rear one.
Does your engine have two AA's in front of the engine number. I am guessing that it does not if shows it as a October 28. The engine would be too early. Your truck looks to have the larger rear drums that have a separate emergency brake system and I would hazard a guess that your brake lever is mounted to the gear shift tower.
1928 and very early 29's had the hand brake lever on the left side of the drivers position.
If driveable you will know as the low speed only gets you up into the teens or so for top speed. If not you can check the rear left side of the differential for an A or B stamping. A is low speed and B is high speed. Don't despair if you see an A stamping as sometimes the internal gears have been swapped out with high speed gears. You can jack up one rear wheel, put it in third gear, crank it by hand and count the number of rotations of the crank to make the wheel go one revolution. Just a little over 3 1/2 cranks to one wheel rotation is good news. Any more cranks than that and you got yourself a low speed rear end.

Dave
Can only answer a couple of these:
Yes on the dual high. Rocker pedal under the floorboards
Can't see well on the differential. See a box of raised letters or symbols which are upside down. I'll have to replace the stolen crank in order to do that test.
Inside the box are raised letters, numbers, symbols "AA" and "4-193" There are a couple of symbols I can't make out without brushing them, and I just got cleaned up for a party! There is also a box of something on the other half of the differential case. I don't see any stampings anywhere.
The E brake handle was stolen but I have a replacement coming. Pushbutton lever mounted on the transmission top, in front of the shifter. I don't know how to tell about larger drums.
The block has AA after the number, which I suppose means a rebuild. But wouldn't the rebuilder use the number of the replaced engine?
Do I understand correctly that the bed is a Ford issued part?

Thank you very much. I really like to have this kind of information.

JPB
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

JPB wrote:
1crosscut wrote:Nice looking truck.

Dave
Can only answer a couple of these:
Yes on the dual high. Rocker pedal under the floorboards
Can't see well on the differential. See a box of raised letters or symbols which are upside down. I'll have to replace the stolen crank in order to do that test.
Inside the box are raised letters, numbers, symbols "AA" and "4-193" There are a couple of symbols I can't make out without brushing them, and I just got cleaned up for a party! There is also a box of something on the other half of the differential case. I don't see any stampings anywhere.
The E brake handle was stolen but I have a replacement coming. Pushbutton lever mounted on the transmission top, in front of the shifter. I don't know how to tell about larger drums.
The block has AA after the number, which I suppose means a rebuild. But wouldn't the rebuilder use the number of the replaced engine?
Do I understand correctly that the bed is a Ford issued part?

Thank you very much. I really like to have this kind of information.

JPB
Pretty sure that is the 88-A platform/bed that came from the factory.
The letter will be a single stamping usually it's about 3/4" tall on the back side of the differential and is often at an angle or sideways. If you follow the axle (from the left side) housing in towards the differential look just to the inside of where the six big rivets are that join the axle housing to the differential. They are stamped like somebody crawled underneath the truck with a big hammer and a punch to mark them.
Interesting that there are the two AA after your serial number. Would like to see pictures of that. What ususally happens is when the engines went bad they were switched out with a car engine that only has one A stamped in front of the serial number. The only way to tell for sure is to lift the cab to get a look at the serial number stamped on the frame.
But with your emergency brake handle mounted on the gear shift tower it definitely is not a 28.
I should have said wider drums rather than larger drums. On the 28's and very early 29's they did not yet have separate emergency brakes. The brake lever when on the left operated the service brakes. Starting in early 29 the handle was moved to the center of the cab and operated a separate set of emergency brakes.
If you compare the picture of my rear brake drums to yours you will see the difference in the width.
Dave
Attachments
DSC_0420.JPG
DSC_0420.JPG (47.14 KiB) Viewed 11982 times
------------
Dave
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

For some reason my picture in the last post came out pretty small. Trying again.
Attachments
DSC_0340.JPG
DSC_0340.JPG (435.99 KiB) Viewed 11979 times
------------
Dave
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Diff Markings
A axleIMG_0352_zps0a32d39c.jpg
A axleIMG_0352_zps0a32d39c.jpg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
B axle IMG_0351_zps1643e27e.jpg
B axle IMG_0351_zps1643e27e.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org