"Public Enemies" Movie

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
nbcdoubleA
Model Year: 1930

"Public Enemies" Movie

Post by nbcdoubleA »

Michael Mann setting up the Dillinger escape outside Lake County Jail
Michael Mann setting up the Dillinger escape outside Lake County Jail
nwi-image.gif (99.5 KiB) Viewed 9316 times
Truck waiting for reset for next angle.
Truck waiting for reset for next angle.
nwi-image2.gif (98.37 KiB) Viewed 9314 times
Note to self; "Chain gates before the road trip."
Note to self; "Chain gates before the road trip."
nwi-image3.gif (94.99 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
With my emence grattude for Jon Lasota's mechanical talent, the truck, "on its maden joyage more than 3 blocks from home" made it to Crown Point, IN at 6:00am 26 miles from my house without any problems. OK, I did lose a rear gate on 231 from what I'm told "almost through a 31 Victoria's window that was following me. Before Jon could retrive it thou it was run over by a West bound car. When we arrived I shut the engine off only to be told to re-locate. NOW it wouldn't start. The spark was checked, the carb was changed out and it still wouldn't start. Bob and Jon towed it with bob's 4 door to staging 1/2 block away and contuined to dianose. The plugs were pulled and all cylinders passed the thumb over the hole compression test. Finaly just before the battery died Bob noiticed that there was no suction on the carb. BAD "NEW" gasket. Another model A driver ran to his stash and gave us a new gasket. One 12 volt jump from the Paramount car handler and it was alive again! I left it running for a hour and it was good for the 2 days I was there. If you want to see more on the movie go to http://nwi.com/ and there are a couple of vidios and articles on the movie. Again thanks to the very quick answers from everyone on this web site. Phillip Serviss This is the vidio from the times web site http://nwitimes.videos.vmixcore.com/p/video?id=1791870 This is the story run in the news paper. http://www.nwi.com/articles/2008/03/26/ ... 0600d1.txt This is pictures from day three of filming http://www.nwi.com/story_tools/player/? ... show&id=51
Last edited by nbcdoubleA on March 30th, 2008, 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
nbcdoubleA

Re: "Public Enemies" Movie

Post by nbcdoubleA »

A view from inside the truck while I was waiting to run the shot of the Indiana114th enginering Co.
A view from inside the truck while I was waiting to run the shot of the Indiana114th enginering Co.
Indiana114th-engineers.gif (99.94 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
My truck was being used as a view block at the south end of the Lake County Jail for many shots
My truck was being used as a view block at the south end of the Lake County Jail for many shots
View-block.gif (99.39 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
If your going to steal a car why not a 1933Ford!
If your going to steal a car why not a 1933Ford!
33-ford.gif (99.02 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
I thought you may like to see more pictures from the set. They have "9" 1933 Fords for the movie. Only one of them is stock. One is a come apart car.One is a trailer car.The rest are bodys are on a all new frame ,engine, auto trans, shocks etc. One they even have set up with roll bars just incase in the chase scenes they roll it over with Jonny Depp inside it. If anyone wants to see more just let me know. Phil
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

Phil, these pictures are great! Lovely truck you have there.
nbcdoubleA

Post by nbcdoubleA »

Indiania in 1933 outside Indiana State Prison.
Fantastic set builders
Fantastic set builders
DSCN21000067.gif (98.5 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
nbcdoubleA

Post by nbcdoubleA »

The truck has been downtown now for almost 6 weeks at a warehouse around Ashland and North Ave. I drove it up the Dixie Hwy from Beecher 60 miles or so. On one of the days when the truck was being driven alot on a shooting day, it started devolping electrical problems. it trurned out that the starter switch was shorting the truck out. We changed that and away it goes again. They have had a auto mechanic on all the shooting days that cars have been there. I'm told that over 400 batteries have been changed out durring the last 3 months. They put a new one in mine after the lights had been left on for a couple hours. We have done over 8 days from sun down to sun up.The last 2 days we have filmed @ Stateville Prision In Crest Hill, IL just north of Joilet, IL. Last night I finaly drove it home, in a hour and 30 min 35 miles or so. My wife said I never went over 47mph. I thought I was booking! The last day to have the truck on set will be around the 30th of this month. The set will be the Dillinger farm. It will be 18 miles south of my house in St. Ann,IL.[attachment=1]truck-with-load.gif[/attachment
Attachments
Accross the street from the old Chicago Court house.
Accross the street from the old Chicago Court house.
division-St.gif (91.01 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
Look in th e mirror back down LaSalle St.
Look in th e mirror back down LaSalle St.
Mirror2.gif (94.15 KiB) Viewed 9027 times
truck-with-load.gif
truck-with-load.gif (79.39 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
nbcdoubleA

Post by nbcdoubleA »

The movie has wrapped in Chicago. The last day was June 30th in Lockport, IL. My last day was on Thursday the 29th in St, Anne IL. The set was the safe house after Dillinger broke his crew out of Indiana State Prison in Michigan City IN. My daughter and I were on the set @ 7:30am. with thunderstorms looking to make the day a washout. By 9:00 the skys started clearing and it became hot and humid. The location crew were busy having stone brought in to try and make a 1/2 mile road into a corn field passible. They were offloading equipment onto small ATV's to bring it to the set. I did offer to use the AA but it fell on deaf ears. I'm sure that it could have made it down to set. When the director called for a truck the pick-up won and mine was left waiting for the next assigment. There were two trucks called for the day and mine was left on the main road for B unit shots.I sent my daughter to the set with the A model pick-up so she wouldn't miss anything as she did the Thursday before in Chicago when we were sent to B unit set @ 17th and Halsted and she couldn't ride with me. She was a good sport and spent the night on a corner just watching from the south end of the set. This time Jen would spend the day watching Jonny Depp film the sene. I finaly made it there at 7:30 in the afternoon and finished the day with her. The highlight was she did get a picture with Johnny and so did I. I spent 3 weeks of vacation and a couple saturdays for a total of 19 days filming on the sets of "Public Enemies".The AA is on the road and running and I have ordered new rubber for her and will be looking at a restoration down the road thanks to Paramount Studios.
Arrival in Base camp at the high school in St. Anne
Arrival in Base camp at the high school in St. Anne
Jen.gif (97.34 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
On 10000 East St. Anne, IL. waiting to be called.
On 10000 East St. Anne, IL. waiting to be called.
St.-Anne-truck.gif (90.78 KiB) Viewed 8949 times
Jennifer caught me waiting to be called to work.
Jennifer caught me waiting to be called to work.
sleeping.gif (96.77 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

sleeping.gif[/attachment][/quote]

Was this before or after lunch from the caterer and munching from crafty?
nbcdoubleA

Post by nbcdoubleA »

Ahhhh you know your way around the set too!!!!!!!!!!
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

nbcdoubleA wrote:Ahhhh you know your way around the set too!!!!!!!!!!

I should. I have been working in the studios for the past 44 years.
nbcdoubleA

Post by nbcdoubleA »

Here are some of the advertising posters that were used on the set. As you will see there was even a gal that was brave enough to show me her nipples:)
I believe this is the same one used on the Fords.
I believe this is the same one used on the Fords.
DSCN21170084.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 8792 times
DSCN21200087.jpg
DSCN21200087.jpg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 8792 times
show-me-your-nipples.jpg
show-me-your-nipples.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 8790 times