29 AA restorod

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

29 AA restorod

Post by Radar »

I am building a 29AA express restorod. All orignal body parts and frame with 100% Ford drivetrain 289hipo c4 8.8 rear. About 60% done now acomes the fun part-paint and assembly. Chassis is complete with 4wh disc brakes and new suspension. No chopped top or cut up body. My truck was bought new by my grandfather and used on the farm until 1970 tthen retired for 30 years. Im giving it a new life of fun and adventure! Dad suggested this before he passad and Mom is anxious to go for a spin. Keep ya posted on progress. Pic later. Great site! Thanks Radar
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: 29 AA restorod

Post by spectria »

Radar wrote:I am building a 29AA express restorod. All orignal body parts and frame with 100% Ford drivetrain 289hipo c4 8.8 rear. About 60% done now acomes the fun part-paint and assembly. Chassis is complete with 4wh disc brakes and new suspension. No chopped top or cut up body. My truck was bought new by my grandfather and used on the farm until 1970 tthen retired for 30 years. Im giving it a new life of fun and adventure! Dad suggested this before he passad and Mom is anxious to go for a spin. Keep ya posted on progress. Pic later. Great site! Thanks Radar
Folks here will be glad to hear you aren't cutting it up. I have a 400ci Ford motor with a C6 Auto Transmission I was thinking of putting in one of my flatbeds that is so rough with parts farmer welded on frame and cracks that needed welding that making mounts to fit this motor in the correct position would be easy, and it would all fit under the stock hood. I even have the Dual Catalytic converter exhaust to go with, so i could make it street legal.

Trust me, I WILL NOT destroy anything original to make this work, I will just not do it if it won't fit...

Then I want to install a slide back auto transport I have my eye on to haul around my 66 Corvair Turbo Corsa Convertible...
101_4438 Resized.jpg
101_4438 Resized.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 77399 times
qVQf0svqpJjIsIn4a5F13yfMYU9G.jpg
qVQf0svqpJjIsIn4a5F13yfMYU9G.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 77399 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Radar

Post by Radar »

Dave Its going to take alot of mods and shoehorning to put that 400 and c6 into a AA. When I figure out how to post pics from my camera I'll put some on. A 289 302 or 351w is alot shorter and narrower. I only modifed the firewall slightly and the c4 case fits under the floor like it came there. I did this so the truck appears as stock as possible but lower. Be glad to help you out when you get into it. I'm not a fan of hacking old stuff either. Like you I want to use my truck for my other hobbies-hauling vintage motorcycles. Radar
spectria

Post by spectria »

Radar wrote:Dave Its going to take alot of mods and shoehorning to put that 400 and c6 into a AA. When I figure out how to post pics from my camera I'll put some on. A 289 302 or 351w is alot shorter and narrower. I only modifed the firewall slightly and the c4 case fits under the floor like it came there. I did this so the truck appears as stock as possible but lower. Be glad to help you out when you get into it. I'm not a fan of hacking old stuff either. Like you I want to use my truck for my other hobbies-hauling vintage motorcycles. Radar
Radar, Thanks for the info. I haven't done any of it yet, I am moving. lock stock and barrel as soon as it dries out a little here, and then I will decide whether to keep the 400 and C6 or just pass on it. I have plenty of other project to keep me busy, so I don't need the conversion, but it is something I would like to do.

Again, I wouldn't do it if I couldn't engineer it to bolt in so I could change back to stock without welding up a bunch of stuff I modified.

I gots to get out the tape measure one of these days and get a little reality on the idea.
manyolkars
Model Year: 1930

Post by manyolkars »

I have thought about this a lot so that the truck can be used often.
The rear axle seems to be what limits use of the truck, even more than the original engine.
what rear axle are you two using??
spectria

Post by spectria »

manyolkars wrote:I have thought about this a lot so that the truck can be used often.
The rear axle seems to be what limits use of the truck, even more than the original engine.
what rear axle are you two using??
That is still a good question, I am trying to use all the stock parts I can, but mine would probably be the banjo Axle that came with my truck. I don't plan on high speeds, nothing over 50, and the engine I have will go to 4K with no problem.

It's probably a pipe dream for me, but who knows...
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I know a guy who put a small block Ford with auto tranny in his '31 AA. He used a late model Dana rear end and redrilled the hubs for the AA bolt pattern. Truck looks 100% stock from the outside.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:I know a guy who put a small block Ford with auto tranny in his '31 AA. He used a late model Dana rear end and redrilled the hubs for the AA bolt pattern. Truck looks 100% stock from the outside.
Thanks Chris, good info.
Radar

Post by Radar »

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures from the file folder to post them. Dave, I am concerned that the original rod brakes may not be enough to stop all that weight. Roughly adding up what you described comes up to about 10,000lbs or more gross weight. One of my mottos to live by is "safety is no accident". I built more stopping power into my truck than I ll need to stop the truck and 5,000lbs of trailer with brakes easily. My theroy on modifing is that the systems-brakes,steering,power train all need to be compatible and work well togther safely. Been thinking about your project and have some ideas if you are intrested.

Radar
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Radar wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures from the file folder to post them. Radar
If you want the to post perfectly every time and not have to bother with resizing there is a simple way. Open a free account at www.photobucket.com . Upload your photos to your account. Then copy the IMG CODE for your photo from photobucket and paste it here. perfect pictures every time.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Radar wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures from the file folder to post them. Dave, I am concerned that the original rod brakes may not be enough to stop all that weight. Roughly adding up what you described comes up to about 10,000lbs or more gross weight. One of my mottos to live by is "safety is no accident". I built more stopping power into my truck than I ll need to stop the truck and 5,000lbs of trailer with brakes easily. My theroy on modifing is that the systems-brakes,steering,power train all need to be compatible and work well togther safely. Been thinking about your project and have some ideas if you are interested.Radar
Yes, always interested in others Ideas.
I was thinking of putting Disk Brakes on the truck that I alter and going with late model Ford 4 wheel drive axles. I have seen a wrecked 4x4 King Cab recently that might have what I need cheap enough. Of Course, If I go that far, i may just get an an AA Cab and put it on the Late Ford Chassis, since by then it won't be much of an AA.

Who knows, I am also waiting to win the LOTTERY!
Radar

Post by Radar »

I thjnk I got this picture thing figured out. These are some shots of how Ifit the trans under the cab. Have lots more of engine,suspension,brakes,and rearend. Radar
Attachments
DSCN0819.JPG
DSCN0819.JPG (39.05 KiB) Viewed 77160 times
DSCN0809.JPG
DSCN0809.JPG (35.09 KiB) Viewed 77160 times
DSCN0818.JPG
DSCN0818.JPG (37.87 KiB) Viewed 77160 times
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Clean, post some more.
spectria

Post by spectria »

ALRIGHT!!! I WANT MORE PICS...

What is that crossmember out of?
Radar

Post by Radar »

Dave, the crossmember is a modifed sbFord conversion piece from a swap meet. I built the rest from scratch. Radar