AA memerories

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

AA memerories

Post by Radar »

Last weekend my two youngest grandsons John 8 and Luke 6 as usual came to check on paps truck. They wanted to hear stories about my dad and pap when we used the AA on the farm so we cracked open some HI-C drink boxes and sat in the garage forthe bed t some stories. My mind went back to a simpler time over a half century ago when my pap had his huckster route. I told them how we loaded that old truck every Thursday for our weekly trip to the city about 40 miles round trip. Sacks of potatoes,cabbage,beans,broccoli,
caltiflower,and whatever was in season. we started early on our trip around 6:00 am to make our rounds to mom and pop stores and households in the smokey steel town. I was the runner helping to carry the orders to the customers doors and collecting their orders for the next week. At the end of the day Pap and I would always stop at Coney Island Lunch. Ican still hear him say "how many do you think you can eat boy" refering to their hot dogs that were 20cents each or 3 for 50cents. About 3 I'd say and he'd get order "a bucks worth and 2 cokes". What a treat for a hillbilly farm kid! On the ride home he would always practice singing the hymns for Sunday church Pap was the choir director and had a wonderful tenor voice. I rarely stayed awake the whole ride home. What great memerories of growing up. I wish I had pictures of him and I and the truck at work but all I can do is share these great times in words. I have alot more to share if you guys want hear them.

Radar
A-Town Bob
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA memerories

Post by A-Town Bob »

Nice story.... thanks for sharing!
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Loved the story. Keep them coming... :wink:
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Radar,

More stories, please. Thanks for sharing! I encourage others to share their AA stories too. Especially, the history behind their AA's. Stories encourage all of us to get to working on our AA's to put them back on the road and create more great memories!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

One day back in the early 1970 my Early 1930 AA was loaded to the gills to go to the Sepulveda land fill in Los Angeles. It is a long steep hill up to the landfill and the old overloaded AA just couldn't pull the grade. So it was turned around and the four speed placed in reverse it backed up the mile long hill. It weighed in at 6,800 pounds. That is quite a load but the old AA never complained about it. :)
This picture was taken of it during that same year. Notice the bed made of mining car track and diamond plate steel. Very heavy.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

Sound's as tho it had a load before it started,One heavy bed I bet!
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

miner art wrote:Sound's as tho it had a load before it started,One heavy bed I bet!
I am saving that bed to sell for scrap when I retire and inhance my pension. :D
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Out here scrap iron is about $200 a ton for prepared steel, so you won't be enhancing your pension by much. Good luck though.

Red
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Post by nreed »

Here in east central Indiana scrap is going for 360.00 a ton. Still not worth scrapping a AA but it sure increases the traffic past my place with every thing from junk fencing to school buses and combines. We have a scrap yard with a crusher and baler just 2 miles north of us which makes mowing the side ditches challenging with all the junk that falls off the loads.
miner art

Post by miner art »

nreed wrote:Here in east central Indiana scrap is going for 360.00 a ton. Still not worth scrapping a AA but it sure increases the traffic past my place with every thing from junk fencing to school buses and combines. We have a scrap yard with a crusher and baler just 2 miles north of us which makes mowing the side ditches challenging with all the junk that falls off the loads.
All good stuff falling, AA mana from passing truck's EH!! :lol:
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Reds34 wrote:Out here scrap iron is about $200 a ton for prepared steel, so you won't be enhancing your pension by much. Good luck though.

Red

At $200.00 a ton I should get at least 50 bucks. :D
Radar
Body Type: 82a

Post by Radar »

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing this stuff. One of the original bill of sale for my AA when Pap bought it new, his Gulf card from the 1930's and me with my truck early 1960's Radar
Attachments
DSCN0866.JPG
DSCN0866.JPG (20.87 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
DSCN0864.JPG
DSCN0864.JPG (30.77 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
DSCN0863.JPG
DSCN0863.JPG (30 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
miner art

Post by miner art »

Great photo's, thank's for sharing,Back in time., I believe I will have two,here is $ 1500 in 20 dollar gold coin. Be like buying a new truck nowaday's 51,300.00.$.EACH!!!