Budd wheels and Dual wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
JPP
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Budd wheels and Dual wheels

Post by JPP »

Hi, I am new to restoring and new to model AA. I have a 29 AA, serial numbers say so. I have an AA motor and a AA four speed transmission. The truck has single rear wheels, but how do I know if my track will accommodate dual wheels in the rear? I have 17 leaves in each of the rear springs and the rear is symmetric so I believe no worm drive. I also nee help identifying brake line travel, sound nuts but no books really call it out. Thanks I have a million more questions but lets start slow.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Budd wheels and Dual wheels

Post by Bob C »

If your wheels have 5 holes in the outer edge of the center (not lug nut holes) then you can run duals.
If they have 6 holes then no. Picture is 5 hole wheel.
Attachments
xP.189.8214_Ford1930ModelAATruck_12-15-1930 - crop 2.jpg
xP.189.8214_Ford1930ModelAATruck_12-15-1930 - crop 2.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 12376 times
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

Not necessarily, there were 2 different styles of budd wheels. The ones you show have a rib outside of the bolt pattern. The other style doesn't have the rib so I believe that you can't run duals.

Red
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

All '30/'31 AA's were offered with optional dual wheels (excluding those with single rear fenders). Either style of five (correction) spoke wheel (or a combination of them) can be used as duals.
Last edited by Neil Wilson on July 26th, 2011, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Neil Wilson wrote:All '30/'31 AA's were offered with optional dual wheels (excluding those with single rear fenders). Either style of six spoke wheel (or a combination of them) can be used as duals.
Neil, I'm confused, I thought the 6 spoke slotted (6 hole) wheel fit early AA's and did NOT work for duals???
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
JPP

Post by JPP »

Ok, well is there any other measurement, hub width, real axial dimension. The problem I have is the truck came with four wheels mounted all with five holes and an extra set of wheels with six holes. I thought the easiest way to determine was to understand what the off set of the bolt flange was to the center line of the rim? So dual rims had an off set of 4 inches and regular budd wheels had an offset of three inches, etc. Help.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

spectria, My mistake - the '30/'31 AA wheels are the five spoke (not six) and I have corrected my post.

JPP, All '30/'31 AA wheels are the five spoke design, used as front and rear wheels. Any can be used as duals. The '29 AA's had the six spoke wheels which are not designed for duals.

You need to post some pictures of your truck. If you have a '29, then the '30/'31 AA five spoke wheels will not fit. Since you indicate that these wheels are on the truck, then you likely do not have a '29 AA. What makes you say that is the year you have? Titles and prior owners don't mean anything when identifying the year of your truck.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by JPP »

The frame is stamped AA2607252, and Steve Plucker tells me that it is a 29. And that it was built in Dearborn in November.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

If the engine was stamped in November then I think there is a possibility
it is a 1930.

Bob
JPP

Post by JPP »

The engine was stamped in April 1929
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

The center hole on the early 28/29 6 slot 6 spoke Budd wheel is a different (Larger/smaller?) size and so is the hub on the 28/29 Rear Axle. The early wheel also has a different bolt pattern, as I have both types of Budd's, some on an old trailer made from the rear of an early truck and I tried to mount wheels from the late truck on it, and they would NOT bolt up.

I am hoping to get to the trailer and measure the wheel hub center and pattern and post here to put this question to bed for all.

The Late Budd wheel, 5 spoke, 5 slot had a different (Larger/smaller?) center hole and matching bolt pattern. These do not fit on the Worm-drive early rear axle.

Could someone state why you can't put duals on an early (un-fendered rear) using the early wheel, was it because the tires would actually touch? It's allot of work to actually test this theory (those damn wheels and tires are HEAVY!) I suspect Wheel Offset being insufficient is the issue.

BTW, I would love if all these wheel/Rim/Ring questions could be condensed into a single thread and put at the top of the Thread list as one of those you gotta read this thing some boards have.

Opinions?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

JPP, The number on the frame is the number that was on the original engine. If the
engine number does not match the frame number then it has been replaced.

Bob
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

All AA wheels have the same bolt pattern except the 1931 steel spoke wheels (which have a larger bolt pattern).

The '29 disk wheel dishes inward and they are simply not designed to be used as duals. Just set two wheels together (without tires) in any direction and it is obvious that they will not bolt together.

A frame stamped with ID AA2607252 means that the original engine was assembled in November 1929. When the engine was installed into the frame, the ID was stamped on the frame. That does not make the AA a '29. There was an excess of engine production resulting in a one to three month lag between the building of an engine and the assembly of the A or AA.

If the #4 frame cross member is flat across the top, then the AA is a '30/'31.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by JPP »

Is the # 4 cross member the last one or the one before it? The last one is flat but the one before it has a hump to it. Oh the frame is 1311/2 inches long center to center wheel base
JPP

Post by JPP »

Ok! So I went back and looked! I have shallow 6 hole rims on my truck, presently and have 4 five hole wheels that came with it. Yes it looks like the 5 holes could bolt together to be dual. They look different enough that they would not retrofit onto my rear axial. Sorry for the confusion.