Title to the AA is before that of the AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rien
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Title to the AA is before that of the AA

Post by Rien »

I would like to know what someone else thinks about this oddity.
Engine and frame number (the same): (star) AA4264490 (star) approval was January 14th 1931
number written on the inside of the wheels: 3-31 (assuming march of 31)
Title: AA stakebed 1930 with the same Vin number as the truck
transmission: (AA-7006) (WG) (1) (MF or NF) I do not know what this means, other than it is a
general model number, nothing too specific.
rear-end: 7-36; 5.14:1----I dont know how this piece of information will help

Combination of all parts: Late 1930 to Early 1931

Short of my truck reaching 88 mph and having doors that open vertically, may somebody supply a logical reasoning as to why the vehicle was given a title before it was made?

thanks Mike v. florida for the approval date
John - NNY

Re: Title to the AA is before that of the AA

Post by John - NNY »

It is not just a question of 88 mph and gull wing doors. There is also the question of 1.21 gigawatts. That aside, record keeping and titles were far less precise than they are today. Someone in the past may have though it was a 1930 and wrote that on a new title. Wheels got swaped all the time.
John
NNY
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The only useful information you have listed is the AA4264490 stamped on the engine and frame. The engine was assembled in January 1931. So, the truck probably came off the assembly line in Feb, March, or April of 1931. A picture of the side-rear of the frame would id if it is the one put into production starting March 1931.

The truck is not a 1930. What is “approval” date? I have not heard of that term.

The title info. means nothing (just made up stuff at some time by someone applying for a title).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA

Post by Rien »

By approval date I meant the date at which it was assembled.
The truck also has a 1930 license plate on it, I know they can be easily switched around, which is why Im currently looking at getting a history report of it. As for the license plate, the year on it is the year it was produced, not expired right? If it is the year produced, how does one know when it expires?

I do agree with you all about the 1930 title, it is most likely incorrect since its the only piece saying its '30 not '31.
Attachments
dualies driver side compressed.JPG
dualies driver side compressed.JPG (165.52 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
left rear spring compressed.JPG
left rear spring compressed.JPG (281.08 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
truck on trailer compressed.jpg
truck on trailer compressed.jpg (83.82 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Rien wrote:By approval date I meant the date at which it was assembled.
The truck also has a 1930 license plate on it, I know they can be easily switched around, which is why Im currently looking at getting a history report of it. As for the license plate, the year on it is the year it was produced, not expired right? If it is the year produced, how does one know when it expires?

I do agree with you all about the 1930 title, it is most likely incorrect since its the only piece saying its '30 not '31.
If You Manage to get a "History Report" about your truck, please let us all know where that came from, it would be worth allot for many of us.

If you are thinking Carfax, they don't go back that far and use the modern 17 digit number which began in 1983(?)
I couldn't even get a report on a 1980 car I had...

I agree it's a 1931, and I also agree the titles in them days was wrong all the time... :)
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

So, where did you find the "Assembly Date"? I have not seen such information.

A plate for 1930 would be the year of the plate. A plate attached to a vehicle does not mean anything in identifying what year the vehicle is. Some prior owner has gotten the title you have with its incorrect information. That same prior owner must have believed it was a '30 and found a 1930 plate to put on it. Back then a new plate was issued each year. They didn't use the year/month stickers like being used today.

I see that the left rear wheel is the 4-31 and prior design. On the inside (between two wheel bolt holes is a date for the wheel. Again, the wheel does not prove the year because they got changed around over the years. Example - the attached shows the a date stamping of 1-30.
Attachments
x1-30 C-18569 Wheel 1.jpg
x1-30 C-18569 Wheel 1.jpg (80.61 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bud valerius »

I don't what state you are in , some states didn't require titles until later years for instance Kansas ask all vehicle owners to title their vehicles in 1937 .The owner would tell the county tax collecter the year and vin # . If the engine had allready been changed the numbers might not match the frame . I have purchased several AA's from the original owner with the 1937 title and thougth it was strange until I sold a AA to Mystic Sea Port the currator for them took some courses from McPherson College and they did the research there . Bud Valerius