Hello, new guy here.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Imnangell
Body Type: Fire truck
Model Year: 1930

Hello, new guy here.

Post by Imnangell »

Hi everyone,
I consult for a Town that has a 1930 Ford Model AA fire truck. The Town does not appropriate money for its maintenance. Therefore, I am going to take it upon myself to get the truck running.

I have heard that it will start, but stop running after it has warmed up. The Town did have a mechanic on staff to maintain it, but this problem puzzled him for a couple of year before he retired. I think there is rust in the tank, which plugs the fuel line/carburetor. Thoughts? Also, are there any issues starting the truck after three years sitting?

I have pictures of it, but I can not post them with my phone. I will post them later.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Re: Hello, new guy here.

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Will the truck start after it die after about 5 mins. choking it. If so it may be a fuel problem. If you are getting fuel to the carb. and can drain gas for the cab. after it dies, If it don't start check to see if you are getting a spark at the points and to the spark plug (you need a blue spark not red or yellow) You may need to replace the condenser in the distributor!!! Good luck!!!Shelby, Louisiana.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Imnagell:

You could unhook the gas line from the gas tank. Then, jury-rig a clean gas can so that it screws onto the gas line to the carb. If the truck keeps running, then you'll know that it's crud in the gas tank that's causing the problem.

Good Luck!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal »

Just wanted to say Hello and Welcome to the form. Good luck with the truck post some pics if you would please.
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

It could be something as simple as the gas tank cap not venting properly - try running it without the cap. It could even be the junction box on the firewall shorting out once the warm-up takes place. Keep searching, and very best of luck. Keep us posted.
gunmetal

Post by gunmetal »

Is the condensor in distributor getting hot and failing so it dies.
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1oldman57 »

You could check the ignition coil by taking the coil wire off the distribitor and holding the wire an inch from a head bolt while
turning the motor over. You should get a bright blue spark. I had a coil that would get hot on the outside and then not
produce a good spark.
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

Thanks for all the advice.

I did plan on bypassing the gas tank with a small tank. I was planning on replacing the points and condensor, but I will accelerate that process.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

What town? I am sure we have someone nearby who can lend a hand.
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

Here are some pictures of the fire truck.
Attachments
IMG_0027 (2).jpg
IMG_0027 (2).jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
IMG_0026 (2).jpg
IMG_0026 (2).jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
IMG_0025 (2).jpg
IMG_0025 (2).jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

Here are some more.
Attachments
IMG_0030 (2).jpg
IMG_0030 (2).jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
IMG_0029 (2).jpg
IMG_0029 (2).jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
IMG_0028 (2).jpg
IMG_0028 (2).jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

The Truck belongs to the Town of Newmarket, NH. The Town is a NH seacoast town, which is more famous for its hand tub than its fire truck. To find out what a hand tub is (which is a horse drawn fire pumper), check out the hand tub parade at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIBXcyHOOQ.

I think it will be good for the community to have something that will bring it together.

How do I know it is 6 or 12 volts? I suspect it is a six volt system, because the condenser has not been updated to a modern style. Regardless, I found the gas tank full of fuel, which smells like turpintine. So, I am going to drain the fuel and clean the carb next week while putting mystery oil in the cylinders and working them out prior to starting it.
gunmetal

Post by gunmetal »

make sure you put oil down the distributer shaft hole. and in value compartment. this is were oil start oil the main bearings from. Thanks for the pics. Wish you the best of luck and wish I was there to help.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Reminds me of my brother buying a 28 Roadster pickup back in the sixtys. We towed and or pushed that car for miles and it would not start. Of course now you ask the 'Ol man' who simply replied "Did you turn the fuel on?" Started right up-Dads are really smart-all you have to do is ask!! Is the fuel shut-off open all the way? But the smell of the fuel is a dead givaway.If it's old fuel it will probably still work but the new fuel they sell you now doesn't keep. Anybody else notice that? Den
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

farmerden wrote:Reminds me of my brother buying a 28 Roadster pickup back in the sixtys. We towed and or pushed that car for miles and it would not start. Of course now you ask the 'Ol man' who simply replied "Did you turn the fuel on?" Started right up-Dads are really smart-all you have to do is ask!! Is the fuel shut-off open all the way? But the smell of the fuel is a dead givaway.If it's old fuel it will probably still work but the new fuel they sell you now doesn't keep. Anybody else notice that? Den
HA! that sound''s like when I bought a 27' roadster pickup 50 buck's!!!!buddy and I pushed the car for about 3 MI. some down hill,What a rush at 12 years old!!!!Them thing's need gas????? YEP!!!..................