Building a shed for the truck

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Building a shed for the truck

Post by spectria »

Hardhatz wrote:A guy I know in Upland Calif did a quickie under-cover addition to his garage. Had it all prepped, and got his contractor buddies to throw it up on one Sunday.
Got red-tagged by the Building Dept. on Tuesday morning... :evil:
Damn IT! :x
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Post by modeleh »

Hell froze over here this weekend and I finally got my roof finished and the AA moved out of my workspace into the shed it helped build. They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I can tell you the Romans must have worked alot faster than me. I still have alot of work to do, finishing the sheeting, siding, doors, and ceiling/storage area on the right side bay. I have sort of been sidetracked by a Falcon convertible I bought for my wife after selling the other AA that I had and we took in another hound that needed a new home. Henry isn't totally thrilled with having to share the spotlight and I think Waylon has too much energy for him, he doesn't stay still very long.

vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Now that's a garage! I really couldn't appreciate the size until you put the truck and trailer in there. I'm so jealous! :mrgreen: Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
spectria

Post by spectria »

vtwinsideways wrote:Now that's a garage! I really couldn't appreciate the size until you put the truck and trailer in there. I'm so jealous! :mrgreen: Luke
Green with ENVY! (anybody know the codes for different colors? or just accept that I am color blind!)
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by Radar »

Wow a big new garage, old trucks, and happy dogs!!!!!! could life get any better? Radar
lookin-backtexas
Body Type: Stakebed

Post by lookin-backtexas »

modeleh -
I just read through your "shed build" postings which you started in December 2010 and wanted to get an update - your last post was March 2011. Can you bring us up to date?

I laughed at a couple of comments made about the amount of junk we all acquire over the years and never having enough storage space. I like to call it "Fred's Theorem - the amount of junk we accumulate expands exponentially with the amount of space we have to store it in." I designed and built a 60 x 80 foot building with a full loft to store all the extra car parts upstairs and assumed I'd have room to easily park 12 vehicles inside - ended up having to park a 16' trailer and two tractors outside. :shock:

Bring us up to date with your build, I'm curious to see the finished project.

Thanks,
Fred
If you are not driving your AA truck you might as well be collecting clocks!
ImageImage
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Not definetly sure but I think modeleh was selling his work horse a while back.......Wished I had waited another year.
lookin-backtexas

Farrell In Vancouver wrote:Not definetly sure but I think modeleh was selling his work horse a while back.......Wished I had waited another year.
Farrell: Even if he sold the AA, I'd still like to see how his "shed" came out. It's like reading through all the garage build stories on the Garage Journal and seeing the step-by-step progress guys make and anxiously waiting to see the completion or walking out of a good movie halfway through and later wondering how things ended. :cry:
Fred
ImageImage
Farrell In Vancouver

I agree Fred it was an excellant read and I too wish he would show us how it all turned out. I hope one day to have such a shop/shed where I can keep the toys. The wife would probably keel over the day I told her she could now park in the garage!
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I work really slow, and the shed is still a long way from how I envision it, but it is coming along I suppose, as I continue to scrounge for bits and pieces. So far I am into it for less than $5000. The concrete for the foundation was $800, the used metal roofing was $500, used cedar siding on the front was $180, the right side was painted white when I got the wood so I painted it brown to match the free vinyl siding I got for the end wall. The left side is the remainder of the used siding, but turned over to show the bare wood side and installed vertically. It was my intention to make it look like two different buildings side by side. This would allow me to exercise my cheap-ness by not needing to find a whole bunch of the same stuff. The double insulated door was $500, The barn doors were rollup doors I got for free, then bolted all the panels together and hung them on end. The door tracking was around $200, some of it I already had. All the lumber and sheeting was just under $2000.
I worked for awhile as a sawyer at a small sawmill and was able to get some rough sawn lumber home for free, which built the stairs and some of the floor joists for the parts storage on the one side. The next big expense will be the concrete to pour a slab on the one side. I think the side with the trailer will remain gravel.
Eventually, I want to put a cement sidewalk along the front and put my old chest style coke machine in front of the window. I have half of the right side insulated with insulation I got for free from someone who was tearing down a house. I am still deciding what to do for the inside walls on the right side.

I still have to build a short roof or some kind of old looking flashing over the door tracking and put battens on the siding boards. I found an old looking street light fixture in a scrap pile and thought it would add to it.

This shows the hinged staircase I built, and made hinges for, so that it can be lifted up out of the way by an electric chainfall that I salvaged out of a scrap bin.

I still have my AA. I had it listed locally for about a month and showed it to a few idiots who either didn't have a clue what they were looking at, or were expecting a show truck. Hopefully, I will make some time to use it this year, but I have way too many irons in the fire so time will tell.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Wow! It looks Vintage, and really glad to see the AA still home!
You really know how to Salvage! It looks great!
lookin-backtexas

modelel:
Thanks for bringing us up to date - looks great! Your comment "I worked for awhile as a sawyer at a small sawmill and was able to get some rough sawn lumber home for free" made me think of the old Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time." :mrgreen:

If you're not familiar with it or want to refresh your memory, here's the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6i6g0JLKIw

Thanks,
Fred
ImageImage
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Oh, I know it well. I'm not ashamed to say a few things have made it out in a lunch box, but never a mobile home! :wink:
Farrell In Vancouver

Awsome job! And I am glad the AA is still ready to assist you in the future.
I really liked the trick stairway, now you see it now you don't!
I have been looking for a old slide type ladder to use in my garage for access to the loft.
Nice to hear from you modeleh.