bed strip hole spacing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carnut14
Body Type: don't know
Model Year: 1929

bed strip hole spacing

Post by carnut14 »

Does anyone have measurements for what the whole pattern should be for the 96" long flat bed? (the spacing on the strips)

I measured hole to hole for the six cross beams and the spacing was not equal. perhaps it is not ment to be?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: bed strip hole spacing

Post by Neil Wilson »

Below are Ford platform dimensions. Note that there is no 96" long platform.
Attachments
AA Platform Dimensions.jpg
AA Platform Dimensions.jpg (84.73 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by carnut14 »

I measured the wheelbase at 131 1/2

but the aft end of the bed has been modified as the stakebed pockets have been cut off. The five ribs between the cab all appear to be in the correct place. Overall the bed measures 99 1/4.

My plan for now is to finish the bed san rear stake pockets. Oak with polished stainless strips. What confuses me is that there are five ribs, each with a hole that, front to rear are not on repeatable pattern.

Is the pattern of holes in the strips available?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

To identify the model of your platform, it is probably best for you to post a picture of the overall platform you have. I don't know what you mean by "rib". There is not much since worrying about skid strips until the platform is identified.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Re: bed strip hole spacing (warning potentially diserbing ph

Post by carnut14 »

hopefully attached is a picture. also hopefully I have not insulted any traditionalist.

as you can tell the end of the bed has been modiied, the part that I call "ribs" is visible as there is no wood.

My goal is to make this truck as correct as possible, yet make it a good driving hot rod. ( drove it last week for the first time!)

Can you tell what bed this is?
Attachments
655.jpg
655.jpg (135.53 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The platform body looks like an 88-A to me. And, it sounds like it is the original length as 99-1/4" is about the same as 99-3/32" for the length of the side rails. The ribs were named cross members (or sills). There are six cross member (counting the rear cross member).

The information I have regarding the hole location is measured from the rear of the skid strip as shown below:

Hole Spacing - Centerline of holes
measured from crimped end
Hole # Decimal Fractional
1 1.0” 1”
2 9.25” 9-1/4”
3 17.50” 17-1/2”
4 26.625” 26-5/8”
5 35.75” 35-3/4”
6 47.375” 47-3/8”
7 58.875” 58-7/8”
8 68.375” 68-3/8”
9 77.812” 77-13/16”
10 87.187” 87-3/16”
11 96.75” 96-3/4”

It would be better to have measured the holes from the front end. Holes 11, 9, 7, 5, and 3 are at the cross members #1 thru #5. The other holes are between cross members. Maybe you can reverse the calculations and see how your platform compares. Example: hole 11 to hole 9 is 18.948" (i.e. distance between cross member #1 and #2). Hole 7 to hole 5 is 23.125". So, cross member spacing is not equal.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82a

Post by Radar »

Cool ride! Looks like you're kickin my butt gettin your project on the road. What's under the rear,a four link and coilovers? Somewhere I have an old street rod mag from the early 70s with a very similar looking truck SBC,glide, and 9in Ford. Hope we could get together and cruise someday. Radar
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: bed strip hole spacing (warning potentially diserbing ph

Post by spectria »

carnut14 wrote:hopefully attached is a picture. also hopefully I have not insulted any traditionalist.

as you can tell the end of the bed has been modified, the part that I call "ribs" is visible as there is no wood.

My goal is to make this truck as correct as possible, yet make it a good driving hot rod. ( drove it last week for the first time!)

Can you tell what bed this is?
It is your truck and there is NO substitution for cubic inches!
It looks plenty good to me and I am a traditionalist.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

It looks like another AA has been destroyed to me. :(
carnut14

Post by carnut14 »

Thanks Radar it is a 9" ford (just replaced this weekend!) with coil overs and a four link setup. I will need to tinker with the coilovers as they are a little light for the stock bed thickness. Going whole hog with the 5/4 thick red oak and polished stainless strips. Motor is a slightly warmed over 400, dropped front axle with stock (not reversed eye) spring. Rides really well and fun to drive.

To those who were concerned that another AA was destroyed rest assured it was destroyed when we started. Now with the exception of the paint, all the sheetmetal is stock. With the exception of the four link the frame is stock and the bed would have been 'cept someone torched the end off before I aquired it. In conclusion if someone wanted to restore big-red they could unboult the hot-rod stuff and have a well restored platform to start with. First I'm going to drive the heck out of it! :D
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

carnut14 wrote:Thanks Radar it is a 9" ford (just replaced this weekend!) with coil overs and a four link setup. I will need to tinker with the coilovers as they are a little light for the stock bed thickness. Going whole hog with the 5/4 thick red oak and polished stainless strips. Motor is a slightly warmed over 400, dropped front axle with stock (not reversed eye) spring. Rides really well and fun to drive.

To those who were concerned that another AA was destroyed rest assured it was destroyed when we started. Now with the exception of the paint, all the sheetmetal is stock. With the exception of the four link the frame is stock and the bed would have been 'cept someone torched the end off before I aquired it. In conclusion if someone wanted to restore big-red they could unboult the hot-rod stuff and have a well restored platform to start with. First I'm going to drive the heck out of it! :D
No Worries!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org