AA Title

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

AA Title

Post by Matt »

I have a AA without a Title that I am currently restoring and need to find a way to obtain one so I can be legal. I live in Ohio and they are less than helpful.

Can anyone please help???
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Re: AA Title

Post by jungerfrosch »

Do you have a bill of sale from when you bought it?

I bought a 1948 International KB8 when we were living in Columbus,OH with just a bill of sale. I went to the DMV and they did a title search and came up with nothing, They then had to do a nation wide theft search to verify it was not stolen, nothing again. Then they gave me a packet to fill out and take down to the courthouse. I took the filled out forms and some pictures of the truck for the judge to look at. I gave the paperwork to the judges secretary/aid and she took them to him and brought back the form signed by the judge. I took the form back to the DMV with the signed form and they gave me a title for the truck. Granted it is in the judges discretion to assign a title to you or not, but if all it legit I don't see a reason why they would not....I'm not for sure that you would need a bill of sale, but it would probably help matters.

The total cost was about $30 and some running around, but was not a very complicated system. I would talk to your DMV again and not give up until you talk to someone who knows what they are talking about because there is a system in place for you to be able to get a title.

Tad
Last edited by jungerfrosch on December 13th, 2013, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks Tad I greatly appreciate the info. I will keep trying, its going to take me awhile to finish this restoration.
Txturbo
Model Year: 1930

Post by Txturbo »

Matt wrote:Thanks Tad I greatly appreciate the info. I will keep trying, its going to take me awhile to finish this restoration.
Best thing to do is find a title service in your area. They know all the latest laws, have a working relationship with the DMV and know all the loop holes.
jungerfrosch

Post by jungerfrosch »

Txturbo wrote:
Matt wrote:Thanks Tad I greatly appreciate the info. I will keep trying, its going to take me awhile to finish this restoration.
Best thing to do is find a title service in your area. They know all the latest laws, have a working relationship with the DMV and know all the loop holes.
As I said the process is already established, you just have to find someone who already knows about it or is willing to ask and find out. As I said it only cost me about $30, a title service will cost a whole lot more and get you to the same place in the end.

I'm sure a title service would save you a small amount of effort, but to me not by any means worth the cost. My experience is limited to OH in obtaining a title, but I'm sure most, if not all, states have a system where it can be done.

Tad
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Im in Indiana and just when throw that. {1} have police file out a report for lost title, he will need to varifi the engine # and frame #. Once you have that go to lience branch and fill out forms for a lost title. take with you a bill of sale, if you have one. this will go to big boy's and then your title should come in the mail to you.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I do a lien sale for storage. Cheap and easy.
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1oldman57 »

In Michigan, all I had to do was take in a vin number (I took the number off the motor) and they run a title search.
It took a hour to run the search, then they filled out a title application. In two weeks, I got the new title in the mail.
Jazzjr
Body Type: 187-A
Model Year: 1931

Post by Jazzjr »

This is the Web Site, You want, has the info How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Ohio | BMV

http://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks
jungerfrosch

Post by jungerfrosch »

Jazzjr wrote:This is the Web Site, You want, has the info How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Ohio | BMV

http://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration
I would beware of any information received from dmv.COM. This is a commercial website and has no official information on it, but rather seeks to seem official to get web views. One error I notice on a quick glance is that they state; "Historical plates do need to be renewed for the life of the vehicle except on ownership change." For one thing their statement has a typo as they left out the "not", but it is also factually wrong, the plates are a 50 year registration. Granted for a lot of people this will be in essence the same, it is not technically correct. They also state that registering an historical vehicle is different than a typical vehicle, the title process is exactly the same no matter the age. When one goes to get plates then getting a historical plate is different, and has restrictions.

Here is the official DMV website: (vehicle title FAQ page)
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm#tog
Q:I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do?
A:Contact the Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671.
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

Matt wrote:I have a AA without a Title that I am currently restoring and need to find a way to obtain one so I can be legal. I live in Ohio and they are less than helpful.

Can anyone please help???
Best option is to find an auto title service....they know all the tricks and how to cut thru the red tape. And most important, they know exactly what to say....and what not to say. When dealing with these people it's very important not to offer any more info than necessary....cuz once tgey hear it they have to act on it.