Backwards dual hi

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Backwards dual hi

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Has anyone tried turning a dual hi backwards to make the low gear a high gear if so what kind of increase in speed am I looking at
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Backwards dual hi

Post by Stakebed »

people have done it but they are very loud and the dual high heats up quite hot after longer use. id asume it wouldnt last long...
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

I have heard that it as been done, but have not seen anything explaining how it was done, the Hi-Low unit cannot be installed switching end for end that I can see as the large end would not clear the brake cross shaft, looking at the internals it doesn't seem likely that they could be switched either.

I use my Hi-Low as a gear splitter, when a grade gets the better of her I shift it into low, (I have a clip on shift lever attached to the rocker pedal) I am now in 3rd gear low range, as speed increases the noise becomes fairly loud, I then shift back to Hi, of course this only helps on grades not top speed, so I would imagine the noise at max speed would be deafening.

I do have a spare Hi-Low unit, I think one day I will take a look, I do have Crosscuts excellent pics, maybe its possible he could chip in on this subject.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

whoops i should mention my knowledge of them is them being used in reverse on standard model A's. cant imagine they would last long in a heavier AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Not sure if it could be made to work. I'm sort of a purist on these trucks so my thoughts are that if you can get the correct high speed rear end that is good enough.
To me it is the ride and not the speed that matters.
Dave
------------
Dave
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

This is gunmetal 2 do you still want the front springs and did you get the pics I sent you?