Took a trip on MLK Day.

Discussion forum for AA related activities, weekend outings, AA stories etc.
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Took a trip on MLK Day.

Post by blgitn »

I took the truck to a local saw mill on MLK day to buy it a new bed.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (97.68 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
I had to wait for the propriator to cut the white oak 4 x 6's. It's cool to watch your boards start as trees and come out as timbers and planks.
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (137.68 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
When I stacked them in the shop to dry they were still looking around for their leaves!!

The truck ran great; plenty of power and willing to go as fast as I wanted. We got to 50 for a moment, but I need to balance the fronts before trying that again!
R/ Roger.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Re: Took a trip on MLK Day.

Post by 1929 AA boy »

That's pretty cool and a gray story to go with it !
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Yes it is quite satisfying to see the wood from tree to plank. I've cut alot of walnut and it is pretty interesting that it comes off the mill looking a pretty sick green color and within a couple of minutes of exposure to the air they turn a nice pretty brown. When you dry them be sure to put plenty of wood slats between the boards and really stack extra weight on top of them to try to keep them from twisting. I usually get several 80 lb sacks of concrete to stack on top of them. The more the better.
Dave
------------
Dave
1wonton
Body Type: Express

Post by 1wonton »

I hope you're not going to use that oak for your truck bed. Oak reacts to moisture and in time will buckle and curl. Use yellow pine or fir if you want it original and stable.
blgitn

Post by blgitn »

1wonton wrote:I hope you're not going to use that oak for your truck bed. Oak reacts to moisture and in time will buckle and curl. Use yellow pine or fir if you want it original and stable.
Of course I am; that's what linseed oil is for. I'm going for the rustic look anyway. :wink:
R/ Roger.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I too used white oak on mine instead of pine or maple. I will not be painting the wood so I wanted a nice looking grain to it. I used a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine on the wood. Rubbed in three coats and once it was soaked in and dry I put a coat of Johnsons Paste wax on it. If you use more than 50% linseed oil it will remain sticky for a long time collecting dirt and dust.
Dave
Attachments
White Oak Bed.jpg
White Oak Bed.jpg (235.33 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
------------
Dave
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

That looks sharp Dave.

Red
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

1crosscut wrote:I too used white oak on mine instead of pine or maple. I will not be painting the wood so I wanted a nice looking grain to it. I used a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine on the wood. Rubbed in three coats and once it was soaked in and dry I put a coat of Johnsons Paste wax on it. If you use more than 50% linseed oil it will remain sticky for a long time collecting dirt and dust.
Dave
Beautiful work...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
1wonton

Post by 1wonton »

blgitn wrote:
1wonton wrote:I hope you're not going to use that oak for your truck bed. Oak reacts to moisture and in time will buckle and curl. Use yellow pine or fir if you want it original and stable.
Of course I am; that's what linseed oil is for. I'm going for the rustic look anyway. :wink:
Don't say you weren't warned. If you keep the truck inside it will be fine but if it sits out in wet weather for a few years the wood will cup and warp. The linseed oil will help but it will have to maintained. Henry never used oak for exposed truck beds for the same reason boats don't use oak for decks. Use yellow pine and paint it the way Ford did it if you want originality and trouble free maintenance.
blgitn

Post by blgitn »

OK, thanks. I wondered why it was so much cheaper than Fir. I've already got this stuff so we'll see how it holds up.
R/ Roger.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

1wonton wrote:
blgitn wrote:
Don't say you weren't warned. If you keep the truck inside it will be fine but if it sits out in wet weather for a few years the wood will cup and warp. The linseed oil will help but it will have to maintained. Henry never used oak for exposed truck beds for the same reason boats don't use oak for decks. Use yellow pine and paint it the way Ford did it if you want originality and trouble free maintenance.
Outside you say,My truck wood have a fit,It wood grumble and groan and what not...
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

what were the boards under the bed made of? boards/beams that go between the bed and the frame rails...
1wonton

Post by 1wonton »

Stakebed wrote:what were the boards under the bed made of? boards/beams that go between the bed and the frame rails...
I think it varied, depending on where the trees came from. Mostly maple or ash or hard pine, judging from the beds I've seen. Oak would probably be a good wood to use for the cross joists since a little twisting would not matter any. Ford owned thousands of acres of Ash and Hard Maple trees around his Iron Monutain mines.
blgitn

Post by blgitn »

The (past) newsletters say all the bed lumber was yellow pine or fir.
R/ Roger.
blgitn

Post by blgitn »

I started marking cuts and drilling holes today. It's gonna look somthin' like this:
Attachments
photo (800x598).jpg
photo (800x598).jpg (266.35 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
R/ Roger.