What are these shims for?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

What are these shims for?

Post by Stakebed »

Putting in a large order and came across these:

http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-ford-a ... HL1094364/

where are these used and to shim what? Especially since their that thin... Says their for 28/29...

Also i saw there are fiber hub bolt washers, where did these go/used for? I assume between the axle nut washers and the hub to keep stuff from oozing out of the keyway but neither of the worm drives i have had these present...
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: What are these shims for?

Post by Bob C »

The shims are used if the u-joint is hitting the u-joint housing inner cap. They move the cap back
for more clearance, see page 311 of the Service Bulletins.

Bob
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

ohhh ok i see
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Stakebed,
When I had my rear brakes apart I ordered these hub gaskets, they are fiber washers about the same size as the axle washer, they obviously cant be used there, I believe there was a smaller seal at one time that fitted in between the hub and axle shaft, probably done away with as obsolete.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1855
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Bob C wrote:The shims are used if the u-joint is hitting the u-joint housing inner cap. They move the cap back
for more clearance, see page 311 of the Service Bulletins.

Bob
Exactomundo nothing to do with the hub.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

those fiber washers does go next to the hub on the axle shaft then then metal washer then nut.tighten then place a cottage key and bend over the flat end of the cottage key.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

Shelby,
I have to respectively disagree with you, I don't believe a fiber washer would maintain the load that the hub and axle support, they would most likely crush after torqueing the axle nut.
I sent these back and discussed this with Snyders, they were clueless on this subject, this part # A-4244-A I do not see in the green Bible or A MAFFI search, it is believed a smaller seal was installed in the space between the shaft and hub at sometime but later deleted as obsolete.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

yea i was curious about that washer eventually deteriorating. onyl thing i can see it sealing is what little grease would (shouldnt) leak out of the keyway... Even then if the proper hubcaps are installed it would still have to fill up that hubcap...

Would it be safe to say i wouldnt need a drive shaft shim kit if mine didn't have one before?