rust free mystery windshield frame?

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

rust free mystery windshield frame?

Post by birdacre »

i recently purchased a windshield frame that was labeled ford 28-29. upon attempting to put it into my 28AA i found that it is 1.5 inch too tall and 2 inch too narrow. any ideas out there? i even sized it up to a 32 ford, still too big. looks exactly like all other model a frames, manual wiper collar, brackets on side for openers. any help would be apprecited, would like someone to put it to use, it is solid, just surface rust. kevin in CT
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: rust free mystery windshield frame?

Post by ModelAkid »

It's a Model T windshield frame.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for advice, the actual exact numbers are: height 17.5 inches corner to corner and length 43.5 inches corner to corner. the collar for the hand windshield crank is 13 inches on center from corner. could you check this with your windshield to confirm. i then can offer it for sale and honestly tell someone what it is for: thanks in advance, Kevin. hope it is ok to be in this section because i will post it for sale once i know what it is.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

On second thought, maybe not Model T. I had the same problem with a frame I picked up at a swap meet that looked like but turned out not to be Model A. I don't have it anymore.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

I believe that Model A windshields are different than AA windshields 1928- Early 1930. I could be wrong.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i spoke to neil wilson who heads the aa club and he confirmed that a and aa windshields are the same. i also looked at my uncles 26 tudor model t coupe and this windshield is exactly the same. i can post photos for anyone that would like to see them. i would like to sell it, it is solid with only surface rust. solid glass and no hinge. i am told it is a valuable desirable window. any offers? kevin in ct
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

birdacre wrote:i spoke to neil wilson who heads the aa club and he confirmed that a and aa windshields are the same. i also looked at my uncles 26 tudor model t coupe and this windshield is exactly the same. i can post photos for anyone that would like to see them. i would like to sell it, it is solid with only surface rust. solid glass and no hinge. i am told it is a valuable desirable window. any offers? kevin in ct

If they are the same why can't you mount an "A" wiper motor on a truck windshield?
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Chris, which year trucks do you mean, and what type wiper motor?
In 1930-31 A's and AA's did use the same vacuum wiper motor.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

ModelAkid wrote:Chris, which year trucks do you mean, and what type wiper motor?
In 1930-31 A's and AA's did use the same vacuum wiper motor.

Being as this thread is about '28/'29 windshields that is what I am talking about.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Being as this thread is about '28/'29 windshields that is what I am talking about.[/quote]

Then you have me confused because you mentioned wiper "motor" and the Standards say all '28-29 commercial vehicles used a hand operated wiper until April 1930. (p. 20-1)
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

ModelAkid wrote:Being as this thread is about '28/'29 windshields that is what I am talking about.
Then you have me confused because you mentioned wiper "motor" and the Standards say all '28-29 commercial vehicles used a hand operated wiper until April 1930. (p. 20-1)[/quote]

That is my point. If the '28/'29 A and AA windshields are the same they why can't you put an A wiper motor on an AA?
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

OK, so if you are not concerned about originality and you want a vacuum wiper motor on your '28-29 AA instead of a hand wiper, you could install an A windshield frame on the AA with a vacuum motor. A & AA truck cabs are the same so the windshield frames are the same except for the holes for the different wipers.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

ModelAkid wrote:OK, so if you are not concerned about originality and you want a vacuum wiper motor on your '28-29 AA instead of a hand wiper, you could install an A windshield frame on the AA with a vacuum motor. A & AA truck cabs are the same so the windshield frames are the same except for the holes for the different wipers.

My AA is a daily driver with several safety and performance upgrades. It is not for Blue Ribbon Judging. If I am making a 400 mile trip in bad weather I don't want a manual wiper.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

if your making a 400 mile trip in your AA your one tough hombre
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

rollingsculpture wrote:if your making a 400 mile trip in your AA your one tough hombre

I have done it more than once. But truth be told I was younger then.