headlight socket at the wiring harness

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

headlight socket at the wiring harness

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

:( but the replacements headlight sockets at the connection of the wiring harness is not made right to fit the connectors. they are about a half socket off. Everyone that I've bought is this way. Usually the insulation is off the wires on the old light harness. If you have bought new ones and they short out or don't work, , change out the metal ferrell from the old socket to the new wire harness with the new insulator in place, this is very easy to do, where it goes out the headlight bucket to the wiring harness, use an old Ferrell off and "ole" light wire set and your lights will work again for you like they did for Henry. Here is a picture of the 2 referrals notice where the wires are in reference to where the line up notches in the socket in reference to the wires :? I called Macs and tole them about this 5 or 6 years ago, they said no one has complained about this :!: Shelby, Louisiana.Sacramento now :!:

Sorry about that :oops: That may also the old socket holder :oops: again
Old Socket with new wires line per fit (very good) head light plug extended with wires extended through it
Attachments
DSCN0074.JPG
DSCN0074.JPG (120.99 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
new folder 184.JPG
new folder 184.JPG (137.09 KiB) Viewed 8574 times
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on September 21st, 2015, 7:43 am, edited 12 times in total.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: headlight socket ar the wiring harness

Post by Stakebed »

i dont see a picture...
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

From my experience, Mac's has no hands on knowledge. They are just a big warehouse pushing out orders. Call, Brattons, Bert's or Snyders next time you order parts. They will get you threw the problem IF there ever is one! :D
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

This is what I am talking about in the headlight plug :!: Shelby, Louisiana
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on September 21st, 2015, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Do anybody see the differences in the 2 ferrells. The ferrell on the left in both pictures is the new replacement. the one on the right is the old original ferrell. The picture on the right in the top has the old original ferrell with new insulator and wires Unfortunately they work great :!: Shelby, Louisiana.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Last post :( :D Shelby, Louisiana.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Last post :( :D Shelby, Louisiana.
?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Spectria, I'm back, My computor shut down and I'm just getting back into the clubs forum a few minutes ago. I sold my house in Louisiana and now living in Sacromento. I left all my As and AAs and parts in Louisiana for now . All that I brought was the hub pull that I had made. I can't get into my pictures now, but Iposted it earlyer :D I'm back :!: Shelby, Sacromento
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Maybe I can post pictures now :?: Test run :D This is a '31 coupe that I started restoring this was taken only a few days before moving to Sacramento. Shelby :) :) Sacramento.

The two top pictures are before and the bottom one is altogether 100% NO RUST or BONDOW all new metal or ole repaired. I couldn't finish before I left Louisiana.Painted picture is how it was when I left.
Attachments
P2050045.JPG
P2050045.JPG (126.55 KiB) Viewed 7928 times
P2030041.JPG
P2030041.JPG (156.88 KiB) Viewed 7928 times
DSCN0926.JPG
DSCN0926.JPG (135.69 KiB) Viewed 7965 times
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on May 26th, 2015, 10:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Maybe I can post pictures now :?: Test run :D This is a '31 coupe that I started restoring this was taken only a few days before moving to Sacramento. Shelby :) :) Sacramento.
Are you going back to get all your Car/Truck stuff?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

NO, I have T-O-O many to haul and would have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to store them. I will probably go back for my L-31 coupe. I do know if 'ill live long enough to haul a 57 yr. collection :wink: Shelby, Sacramento
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by macswoods »

With you being in Sacramento you will not have to buy parts on line, with Sacramento Vintage Ford
in town. I have been there a couple of times, is a neat place to visit. Good luck on your moving, I
hope I do not have to do it again, tooooo much stuff. Mac.......
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

This is what the coupe went through in transition to being green!

Sept. 18 2015 On the coupe that That I was restoring, It is 100% metal, Only used less than a half qt. of metal to metal on the whole body :D . Every single part and panel -bolt and nut and rivet was removed repaired or replaced. I ordered some replacement panels that did not work, so I made panels or cut them down and welded them back together. The replacement sub-rails were a joke :( I had to re bend the front where the floor-board fits. The rest would be out of sight . The right sub-rail was 1/4" longer than the left. Put it altogether and find this. It was hell to correct. Shelby, Sacramento.
Attachments
P2190054.JPG
P2190054.JPG (271.55 KiB) Viewed 7928 times
SHELBY MESSER

Re: headlight socket at the wiring harness

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I'm sure everyone has had problems with the replacement head light socket. Remember that the original ones worked for some 60 to 85 years. An the new head light socket assembly will not work just out of the pack :cry: If Any one is interested, I'll help to solve your problem. I do not have any parts as all my A-AA parts are in Louisiana. but I would round up what is needed to solve your problem :!: Shelby, Sacramento

875 persons have looked at this post, so there is problems out there with the light socket :!:
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Re: headlight socket at the wiring harness

Post by ModelAkid »

Shelby, just so you know, the counter is the number of visits, not visitors. If I look at the thread twice I am counted as 2.