Early 30 AA Express For Sale

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Early 30 AA Express For Sale

Post by Bradshaw »

Folks,

Coming to this decision has been very difficult for me. I bought this truck in 2002 from a fellow in Michigan. It had been his father's and his project and in their garage at that time for 42 years. My father and I worked on it, he passed away last summer and as much as I would like to finish this truck, I know I will never get it done.

The following is what has been done and the current condition. This is an April of 1930 AA Express with the correct Express Bed(wheel wells), correct right side mount Spare Tire Carrier. The original transmission was dated late April of 1930, but had a cracked case, I don't recall the date of the replacement case. I have 5 of the proper non-reinforced 5 hole Budd Wheels, three are dated 4/30 and two are dated 5/30.

The frame, springs, axles, etc... were sandblasted, treated with phosphoric acid and painted with a flat black paint. All four drums were turned to clean up the ridges inside, new woven brake material riveted to all 8 brake shoes and both rear emergency/parking brake bands. None were arched to the radius of the turned drums. Bearings were inspected, some were replaced in the transmissions,(yes plural, it has the 28/29 Warford under/direct/overdrive), rear axle seals were replace with leather bound seals. The gas tank has the 1/4 turn gas cap, AA radiator has threaded cap. 1930 style headlight buckets. Keyed 30 steering wheel. Front fenders and both Rear Express fenders are here, some prior body work done, some surface rust on rear fenders, but no rust through. The fender spacers are here, one original and two fabricated by my father. Two stamped style rear fender brackets. One original wood beam that sits atop the tapered frame rail and just inside the sheetmetal on the bottom of the Express Bed(use this as a pattern to make two new ones for the truck). Doors have patch panels installed in lower portion of them. Repro seat springs, cab corners. Not sure about upper and lower rear cab panels. I believe a new piece has been added in the bottom of the cab, hole has been cut for Warford shifter. Engine has had the cylinders cleaned up, fitted with new pistons and rings, I believe valve seats installed, NO Babbit work done, will need some in my opinion. The engine that was with the truck did not match the frame number, the guy who did the engine work, re-stamped the engine, but with the wrong type stamps, numbers too small. I believe a new clutch disk was installed with new throw-out bearing. Cowl on driver side had some filler added. Hood and Radiator shroud in good condition, hood had light pitting. New top wood installed but some needs sanding to flush the corners for a smooth look. Complete reproduction brown interior, I believe by Cartouche, saddle brown repro seat covers on the repro seat springs. Padding and everything needed to install the top material included. New glass all the way around. Window regulators for both doors are here, as well as the upper inside door moldings. Reproduction floor boards and black rubber mat. Original outer door handles restored with nickel finish. Original Popout ignition cable restored. Gas Tank float, shims, glass all here. Several Cadmium Plated AA lugnuts to go with the ones that are holding the wheels on. Also have correct front and rear hub caps, blasted and ready for cad plating. Currently there are two Budd wheels of at later vintage on the rear as they have the reinforced bulge, I believe they are dated 1932. Between what is on the truck and the extra, budd wheels there are enough snap rings to mount 5 tires. The complete drivetrain is bolted in the truck, exhaust pipe and muffler included. Cab is bolted down with 4 bolts, radiator, front fenders, Original Long Ford Script Running boards, headlight bar, all bolted down. Gas tank is held to cowl by a few bolts and zip ties. Long Splash Aprons are here, I believe they are reproduction, one original engine splash pan is here. I have built a shipping box on the back of the truck with 4x4 timbers, 2x4's and osb, it is 4' wide, approximately 3 feet tall and 8 feet long. All the remaining parts are packed in the back in bubble wrap and or appropriately packed to prevent damage during shipping. Glass is wrapped and secured in the back with wood bracing against the osb walls and labeled on the outside of the box GLASS HERE. The box is set up so you can remove 4 bolts holding it to the frame and pick the whole thing up from the side of the truck with a forklift. My intentions were to ship this to someone and have them finish the truck, however I have decided not to make that investment in this AA Truck. I have other original parts like the rear teacup light, side view mirror bracket(repo mirror). The Express Bed needs some patch panels/metal work. I purchased new repro outer pockets to replace rusted pockets. The front panel has had some metal work and patches, but needs to be redone to make it right. I also had a metal shop fabricate some long panels that were to be used as patch material for the Express bed sides that I will include. The Express Bed Tailgate and chains are here, however the round rod needs straightening. I have most of the original metal floor strips, only a portion of one outer strip remains where it gets thin as it goes around the wheel well. I have most of the correct mounting hardware for the Express Bed to the frame. I know it will need a couple of small plain angle iron pieces for the front of the bed, some flat plate with holes appropriately drilled to "sandwich" the sills under the bed. This truck also has the desirable 5.14:1 rear axle gears and matching drive-shaft/speedo gears. I always thought this was the perfect AA truck, the best of both worlds; Early sheet metal on the upgraded heavier 30 frame, Warford and high speed gears.

The truck has been inside out of the rain, but not in a temperature or humidity controlled environment from 2002 until September of 2013. There are small places on the frame where some surface rust has started. The engine also has rust "bleeding through" the paint.

As I mentioned before, I will try to get photos uploaded as soon as I can.

I will consider all Serious Offers for this truck, I don't know that you will find an Early 30 AA Express as complete and as good a condition as this one very often with the hard to find pieces included. I am in no hurry to sell the truck, and I wanted to offer this to the Model AA Truck Club folks. I hope this lands where it will receive a proper revival to an AA Truck. I have nothing against hot rodding, I just would hate to see such a rare and complete truck assembled in that fashion.

As an added bonus, If the truck sells, I will offer the purchaser an option to purchase a rare accessory for the AA trucks, a working Servis Recorder that also has a face mounted clock, a key to lock the case, a key to time the external clock, and a box of wax charts to go with the Servis Recorder.

If someone from Virginia purchases the truck, I also have a set of restored 1930 Virginia Truck Plates with a TXX-XXX.

My wife has asked me several times, "are you sure this is what you want to do?".... I will probably regret it one day, but for now I think this is the right thing to do.

I did find some photos of the truck so they are included below.

Bradshaw
Attachments
IMG_4108.JPG
IMG_4108.JPG (453.79 KiB) Viewed 15001 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (298.37 KiB) Viewed 15001 times
driver side.jpg
driver side.jpg (209.94 KiB) Viewed 15001 times
Bradshaw

Re: Early 30 AA Express For Sale

Post by Bradshaw »

More Pictures.

Bradshaw
Attachments
IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG (378.89 KiB) Viewed 14999 times
IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG (459.21 KiB) Viewed 14999 times
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG (438.75 KiB) Viewed 14999 times
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

Last photo for now.

Bradshaw
Attachments
IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG (326.74 KiB) Viewed 14999 times
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

I Forgot to mention that I have a CLEAN VIRGINIA TITLE for the 1930 AA Truck.

Bradshaw
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Can you message me a phone number ?
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

I will take $9000 for the Early 30 AA Express with clear Virginia title.
Correct spare tire carrier, 28/28 Warford 3speed auxillary transmission, correct
AA Express bed, tailgate, correct mounting hardware to bolt bed to frame,
Restored door handles and correct pop out ignition cable. See description
Above for all details. Bradshaw
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

The first $8,000 cash takes it, clear title and all. Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Since the important part of an AA express is the cargo body, mounting hardware, and rear fenders, its seems that those items should be shown. What say you? That is the selling point of the truck.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bradshaw »

That's a very good point. It will take some time to get the bed and parts unpacked
From the wood shipping container on the back. Fenders are more accessible, I will
Have find the mounting hardware, but I can say, some of it was purchased from you
Neil, through the person I was considering to have finish the truck. I have a long day at
Work tomorrow, maybe I can get more pics by the end of the week. Bradshaw.
robie
Body Type: 157"
Model Year: 1931

Post by robie »

Got more pictures to post. I'm near you and am interested.
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

Hope to get pics tomorrow evening. If not Friday or sat. Bradshaw
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

Several Pictures to follow of Express Bed Front, two side panels, tailgate, Rear Fenders, mounting hardware for bed to frame.
Attachments
IMG_5491.JPG
IMG_5491.JPG (491.4 KiB) Viewed 14049 times
IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5490.JPG (427.03 KiB) Viewed 14049 times
IMG_5489.JPG
IMG_5489.JPG (469.99 KiB) Viewed 14049 times
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »