Spindle Bolt and Bearing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
spdway1

Spindle Bolt and Bearing

Post by spdway1 »

:arrow: What is the right and left spindle bolt? I see the tops are off set for the actuator arms.

:arrow: What way up or down does the spindle bearing go? I see the sides are different, my kit from Snyders only include a felt for the brake rod that goes threw the spindle.

Thanks!
Don Jr. 8)
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Re: Spindle Bolt and Bearing

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, here is a picture of the passenger side front brake area. Steve.
Attachments
kingpin.jpg
kingpin.jpg (288.87 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Here is a better picture. The "ball" leans forward with respect to center line of the axle. The bearing is below the axle. Slip the pin in but before driving the wedge retaining pin completely home place the brake shaft assembly in place to make sure everything lines up correctly. I have had two instances where the notch in the kingpin where the wedge retaining pin is cut is cut at the wrong angle. Then the brake shaft assembly cannot line up properly and the brake actuating pin gets bound up. I just welded up part of the notch and reground the notch at a better angle to fit. Steve.
Attachments
kingpin1.jpg
kingpin1.jpg (206.54 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi again, I used an air powered cutoff tool to re-cut the notch in the kingpin. Am I the only one that has these funny problems? Steve.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Maybe you got a BB spindle bolt I think the location of the notch is different than on the AA.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

The spindle bolts for 30-34 are the same.

Red
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

My problem is that I can not get my brake pin to line up with the actuator. It does not hit the little push part. Almost like I have the king pin on the wrong side, but I do have it like the pictures.

I understnad the bearing goes under the axle, but what side is up and what side is down on the BEARING, the two sides of the bearing are different.

Thanks 8)
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Don,
The brake cross shafts are left and right have you tried switching them?, the bearing will have an opening on one side and should face down.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Steve, If you had to recut the slot in the king pins they may have
been for 35-37.

Bob
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

The one set of spindles that I modified were on a doodle bug and I needed all of the brakes to work, and discovered that the notch was cut at the wrong angle which caused the brake actuating rod to bind. The Kingpin could have indeed been off of a later truck. The other set was a NOS swap meet set that was unmarked so it could have been for a later year as well. Beats a $160 new set. Does anyone know where just the bushings are available for the 30-31 AA truck pins? Thanks, Steve.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Steve,

Good luck on the bushings. You can try Bert's and Tam's, I got some from both of them before. No one reproduces them now. I believe Eric Moore has some NOS ones too- E. Moore screen name here on the forum.

Red