Rim Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Greg Liekweg
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Rim Question

Post by Greg Liekweg »

Dropped my front rims and front bumper brackets of at the sand blaster Monday. Should I paint , Powder coat, or Por15 then Clear coat the Por15 The Rims? What every ones opinions? Thanks :?:
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: Rim Question

Post by flatford39 »

I would either paint or powder coat but I wouldn't Por 15 them since they were sandblasted. As much as we use our trucks I suspect paint would be just fine.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Greg Liekweg wrote:Dropped my front rims and front bumper brackets of at the sand blaster Monday. Should I paint , Powder coat, or Por15 then Clear coat the Por15 The Rims? What every ones opinions? Thanks :?:
Powder coat chips easily...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

[/quote]Powder coat chips easily...[/quote]

I have never seen powder coat chip. In my experience it is nearly bullet proof.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

really? i see powdercoat chip all the time and once it does your SOL because water gets absorbed like a sponge underneath it...plus there is no "touchups" in powdercoat. por 15 and regular paint you can easily.

I painted mine por 15, i plan to topcoat the exposed areas with rustoleum eventually but for now i sandblasted them to get that ring groove absolutely clean then por 15'ed all of it. Por 15 leaves a nice smooth surface and will prevent rust from forming underneath the tire.

por 15 sticks GREAT to sandblasted material, nice and grippy for it

but i have heard of people using plain ol rustoleum and it works just fine.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

I have seen powder coat flake off and it was obvious that it was poor prepping that caused it, the surface area was smooth lacking a key to hold to, I had my wheels and rings sand blasted and powder coated 5 years ago and see no problem.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I guess the place that does my sandblast and powder coating know what they are doing and do it well. Acme in Van Nuys, CA
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Interesting that powder coat does not stick well to a nice smooth original surface, but will stick well after sandblasting.
Good to know!
I just do it all the same way Henry did: in this case, paint, or cad plating on the lock rings.
Greg Liekweg

Post by Greg Liekweg »

Now the next question. Por15 is not UV. Protective. Does it have it's on Clear coat, or can I use Automotive paint clear coat over it?
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Greg,

If you are using POR15, you can use their clear coat or another clear coat. Just make sure that you follow the preparation directions.

Red
Greg Liekweg

Post by Greg Liekweg »

Well I'm painting the cab now, So I think I'll just paint the rims also. Thanks for all the reply.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Greg Liekweg wrote:Well I'm painting the cab now, So I think I'll just paint the rims also. Thanks for all the reply.
I vote, Prime then paint rims. Plate the lock rims as original. Do it now or do it latter. You know you want to do it correctly!! :shock:

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Greg - If you choose not to cad plate your lock rings at this time you might consider using the rustoleum silver hammered finish spray paint on them. If you apply several coats leaving just enough time to let it get tacky between coats it will reduce the hammered look considerably. Looks a lot better than straight aluminum paint I've seen used. Not nearly as stark looking.

Dave
------------
Dave
Greg Liekweg

Post by Greg Liekweg »

1crosscut wrote:Greg - If you choose not to cad plate your lock rings at this time you might consider using the rustoleum silver hammered finish spray paint on them. If you apply several coats leaving just enough time to let it get tacky between coats it will reduce the hammered look considerably. Looks a lot better than straight aluminum paint I've seen used. Not nearly as stark looking.

Dave
Thanks for the info.