Another thread about 1928 AA rims

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
marcel kristoff
Body Type: flat deck
Model Year: 1928

Another thread about 1928 AA rims

Post by marcel kristoff »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been reviewing and researching on the site and I can't find an answer yet. I recently acquired a 1928 AA with solid disc wheels. The previous owner was restoring the truck but passed away. It has four tires mounted on these rims and has two new tires waiting mounting on 2 more solid disc rims. He wanted it to have duels but we can't seem to figure out how they would mount together. How would you check the air on the inside tire? This is a Canadian truck. I have seen a variety of different rims on this site, but not the ones I have. Who is the expert on this site regarding wheels?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Another thread about 1928 AA Wheels

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - Ford part lists use the term "wheel" rather than "rim". So, "wheel" would be required to find the various parts in the listings.

For US production, and for 1928 through February 1929 the AA originally had steel spoke wheels. Starting in March 1929 through December 1929 there was a disk wheel (with six openings) used in production. These AA's did not have dual wheels. Starting January 1930 and five opening disk wheel started production and these wheels could be used as duals. These wheels can not be used on the prior 1928-1929 AA's.

You can lay under the truck and check the air pressure.

Canadian trucks may be different.

You can check http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1000-wheels/ for information/photos of US production wheels.

I suggest that you post pictures of the wheels and rear axle. The AA may not have 1928 or 1929 parts.
Regards, Neil Wilson
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Another thread about 1928 AA rims

Post by spectria »

marcel kristoff wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been reviewing and researching on the site and I can't find an answer yet. I recently acquired a 1928 AA with solid disc wheels. The previous owner was restoring the truck but passed away. It has four tires mounted on these rims and has two new tires waiting mounting on 2 more solid disc rims. He wanted it to have duels but we can't seem to figure out how they would mount together. How would you check the air on the inside tire? This is a Canadian truck. I have seen a variety of different rims on this site, but not the ones I have. Who is the expert on this site regarding wheels?
Welcome to the Forum. Neil is THE expert on wheels and rims and spokes and pretty much all else AA...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

The Canadian parts book shows a solid disc wheel with just one cutout
for the valve stem, number AAC-1015-B-2-R. I don't see how you
could run duals though. Do you have the Timken rear axle like the one
in the picture?

Bob
Attachments
Chassis3.jpg
Chassis3.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Chassis2.jpg
Chassis2.jpg (135.17 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Bob, thanks for the pictures of the Canadian Timken rear. My '29 AAC has that rear but wooden spoke wheels. You wouldn't have another of those steel channels that the service brake cable runs through in back of the rear. My truck is missing that piece. I saw the tiny picture of it in the Canadian parts book, but never saw a good actual picture like the one you posted.

Thanks, Keith
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I don't have any parts, I just found the pictures that somebody posted
on the internet and saved them.

Bob