Anti freeze or water.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Anti freeze or water.

Post by KimVanOrder »

Getting ready for the new driving season and was wondering what the thougts are on using Anti Freeze Vs. Water in the radiator. Is one better than the other for cooling. I plan on using "water wetter" with either. Is there an anvantage to Anti freeze?

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Anti freeze or water.

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

If it were me I would flush the engine to kill the rust in the block and also the radiator then add antifreeze and distilled water or premixed antifreeze. That way you will keep down the rust. There is always a chance of a hard freeze :?: Don't add any tap water, this will start a rust cycle all over again. :!: :!: :!: Shelby, Louisiana.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Antifreeze!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------
Dave
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Anti Freeze it help the rust problems and also makes it so the engine will run cooler, and has a higher boiling temp.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:If it were me I would flush the engine to kill the rust in the block and also the radiator then add antifreeze and distilled water or premixed antifreeze. That way you will keep down the rust. There is always a chance of a hard freeze :?: Don't add any tap water, this will start a rust cycle all over again. :!: :!: :!: Shelby, Louisiana.

Shelby. Flush with what to kill the rust? Radiator cleaner?

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Muriatic acid will clean things well. Be sure to do a massive flush with water & Baking Soda when finished to clear it out.