Valve noise - I think?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Valve noise - I think?

Post by s147881 »

While driving my aa truck last week there seemed to be some valve train noise when engine was turning higher RPMs. Can you adjust the valves without removing head? I used straight 30 weight oil - should I have added something heaver?
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Re: Valve noise - I think?

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Can you describe the noise better?
How much advance were you using (Spark knock-Ping)?
s147881

Post by s147881 »

I drove the truck 20 miles yesterday and believe it was spark knock. Advancing the timing corrected most of the noise. Before we left we added one quart of oil and drove around 12 miles to ball game with minor oil leakage. On the way home I decided to open it up and drove home at 45 mph. When I pulled into the garage oil was running down from engine and left in drive way was a path of oil drops. It looks like I have some significant blow by at high RPMs. I put new rings in it when I had the engine out. Is there a good fix for the oil leakage while I wait for the rings to seat?
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

You didn't say the location of the oil leak. Could be blowing out filler tube, front or rear main seals, bad gasket somewhere? The fix will depend on where the leak is.
BTW overfilling crankcase oil is never a good idea with any engine. If you overfilled it, bring it down to the correct level, then see where it may be leaking.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

If it was spark knock I would think advancing the timing would only make it worse. Where is
the oil coming from, the breather or the rear main?

Bob
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

s147881 wrote:I drove the truck 20 miles yesterday and believe it was spark knock. Advancing the timing corrected most of the noise. Before we left we added one quart of oil and drove around 12 miles to ball game with minor oil leakage. On the way home I decided to open it up and drove home at 45 mph. When I pulled into the garage oil was running down from engine and left in drive way was a path of oil drops. It looks like I have some significant blow by at high RPMs. I put new rings in it when I had the engine out. Is there a good fix for the oil leakage while I wait for the rings to seat?
Did you follow any loading procedure to help break in the rings? Who honed the cylinders, pattern, cleaning the abrasive out after?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

It sound like a classic case of being over filled with oil, possibly the wrong dipstick, or the fill cap pushed down to far, if you do not see a lot of blue smoke coming from the fill tube when running then I would say the rings are ok.
s147881

Post by s147881 »

Did some checking yesterday and found the baffles in the filler tube bent allowing straight shot of oil splashing out. Crank case was 3 quarts low after just 20 miles. There was no pressure coming out of tube but oil was splashing out. I had some help from a friend - thanks Stu. I was also able to correct my idle issue by bending the throttle arm on the fire wall. What's the best way to get the filler tube out?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I put a metal "Chore Girl" pot scrubber in my breather tube. It really helps capture oil mist coming out the breather tube. When adding oil it pours right through it.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

"What's the best way to get the filler tube out?"
You just pull it out with your hand. Give it a little back-n-forth while pulling to loosen it.
Henry recognized the problem of oil splashing out the filler tube and kept redesigning the baffles to be more effective. I think there are 4 different versions. I'm sure many AA-ers here have some extras if you need one.