Hub puller woes

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Hub puller woes

Post by s147881 »

KVO- thanks for the offer but I with my son I do have plenty of help. I will try another heating cycle today along the key way. Thanks
s147881

Post by s147881 »

Two more heating cycles and the hydraulic jack gave up. Keeps loosing pressure. Not a problem as I have a screw jack that will work. I need to do some machining on the top as it has some lettering cast into it. The screw jack will maintain pressure during complete heating cycle. Emptied 2nd acetylene cylinder-50.00 gone!
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'm assuming you have some machining capabilities. You may as well make a hub puller with a Very fine thread screw in it. The fine thread will give you the most pulling power and be sure to use a long nut or double or triple nut so you will not strip the threads. So anti-sieze compond on the thread also just to be sure. Then crank it up and put the heat to it.

Good luck..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

I'm not an expert on AA WHEEL wheel removal but I don't think all that much heat is helping because you don't want all of the heat transferring to the axle because it will expand along with the hub. Also I would use the old wheel to transfer the hole pattern to a piece of steel at least 1/2" thick. That wheel is too thin and it may flex. Just my thoughts.
s147881

Post by s147881 »

I tried two more heating cycles today and the hub did not come loose. I upgraded my gas and was able to get entire end of hub Red Hot! Still would not come loose. Sunday I am going to try one more time before cutting the hub off. My friend said I should heat everything red hot and then pour cold water on the hub to shrink it and make it pop off. Anyone done this before? I have two replacement hubs so I am not to worried about damage to the hub at this point.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

s147881 wrote:My friend said I should heat everything red hot and then pour cold water on the hub to shrink it and make it pop off..
Not only will this damage the hub it will also damage the axle. Heating and quenching hardens the metal and makes it brittle.
dyoungs
Body Type: AA

Post by dyoungs »

Your to the point that you might be cutting the hub off with the torch..... That is what I had to do...
dyoungs
Body Type: AA

Post by dyoungs »

Sorry, I forgot to add the part that it is easier to find a new hub,(but I think I saw that you had another one) vs the whole trouble of having to rig the rear end apart to replace the axel and all that fun.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:
s147881

Post by s147881 »

I heated one more time and no luck. I moved to demolition phase. I was able to cut and break the cast brake drum off. Removed all the rear stud nuts and removed drum pieces. Put nuts back on. Found emergency brake gone from inside. Not sure why? Using cutting torch cut end of hub back 2.5 inches along the key way. Could see separation on both sides of key. Put puller back on and it still would not budge. Re-heated hub red hot and beat back side with hammer. Still would not come off. I will be cutting thru the bearing holder next to allow me to cut down thru hub. I am thinking of using a cutting wheel above the key. I will not be able to get all the way to the back without hitting the axle were the cage bearings ride. Any ideas?
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

You can use a cutting torch to cut the hub right down to the axle without any damage to the axle if you are careful.
The trick to cutting something that is stuck to a shaft or axle is concentrate your torch heat only on a small area of the piece your cutting off and when that small area is hot enough trigger the oxygen and cut only a small amount. Cool it with water and then start the process all over again.
The idea is to not allow your axle to ever get hot enough that the torch will cut it when you trigger the oxygen burning the hub away.
Cut along one side of the axle skimming away material from the side. (flame parallel to the axle not at the axle)
Once you get one side cut to the axle do the same on the other side.
Patience.... don't get the axle itself too hot when cutting the hub.
As long as your axle itself isn't as hot enough to burn away your torch flame can play across it while cutting the hub away.
A torch doesn't actually cut steel it causes the metal to burn after it is pre-heated to a point where when the pure oxygen is added causing it to burn away.
------------
Dave
s147881

Post by s147881 »

Last night I finally got the hub off with no damage to the axle. I used a cutting torch to remove hub material from above key way - back about 3 inches. I was able to pry the key up out of its grove, bend it in a right angle and tap it out with a hammer. I then cut up the hub with a cut off wheel all the way back and across the bearing holder. Then using a chisel I hammered it into the cut to separate the hub. Still would not move - so I put the rose bud on it and heated it to red hot. Then hitting the back side with two pound hammer the hub finally let loose. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - that was the single most difficult thing I have ever done.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

s147881 wrote:Last night I finally got the hub off with no damage to the axle. I used a cutting torch to remove hub material from above key way - back about 3 inches. I was able to pry the key up out of its grove, bend it in a right angle and tap it out with a hammer. I then cut up the hub with a cut off wheel all the way back and across the bearing holder. Then using a chisel I hammered it into the cut to separate the hub. Still would not move - so I put the rose bud on it and heated it to red hot. Then hitting the back side with two pound hammer the hub finally let loose. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - that was the single most difficult thing I have ever done.
Pictures would have been great :wink:
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Well done!!!!
------------
Dave
s147881