Worm end cap question and safety wire

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Worm end cap question and safety wire

Post by Stakebed »

Got the halves together yesterday (whew!), didnt have alot of time tonight to play with it but got the rear cap on but have some questions:

I know the 4 bolts that hold it on have holes drilled in the heads for safety wire. Anyone have an idea of how it looked as in correct way to wire these? Do all 4 holes in the heads have to be indexed the same way?

My rearend is the later 29 worm with the side hump for oil to drain and lube the thrust bearing, i used the later cap with the small 1/4" pipe plug hole if that makes any difference.

Also the torque tube to axle bolts: they also have holes drilled for safety wire - any correct way to do these?

Thanks - not alot of pictures showing these bolts safety wired around the web, is there a reason why you guys dont?
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Worm end cap question and safety wire

Post by spectria »

Stakebed wrote:Got the halves together yesterday (whew!), didnt have alot of time tonight to play with it but got the rear cap on but have some questions:

I know the 4 bolts that hold it on have holes drilled in the heads for safety wire. Anyone have an idea of how it looked as in correct way to wire these? Do all 4 holes in the heads have to be indexed the same way?

My rearend is the later 29 worm with the side hump for oil to drain and lube the thrust bearing, i used the later cap with the small 1/4" pipe plug hole if that makes any difference.

Also the torque tube to axle bolts: they also have holes drilled for safety wire - any correct way to do these?

Thanks - not alot of pictures showing these bolts safety wired around the web, is there a reason why you guys dont?
Type: safety wire techniques into Google images and you will get a plethora of info. Point is, as you wrap and tighten and move on to each bolt your technique should maintain pulling in the tightening direction of the bolt head, or nut. ck youtube also.
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.89 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
CalAv04.jpg
CalAv04.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Yea i gotta get a pair of the special pliers and give it a few tries. Im mostly wondering why i don't see many restored trucks using safety wire. I got a spool of legit safety wire from Snyders a while back.

I gotta clean all the dried RTV off and touch up a few spots with paint but ill wait till i get it on the truck, gonna be a few more dings and bruises i think before its said and done.
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

Most guys who work on airplanes (large and small) do a lot of safety wiring and I have found them willing to not only loan me their tool, but also be more than willing to tell me what I did wrong when I used it. If you act dumb enough, rather than loan you their tool, they might just do it for you. Also, guys who have the tool seldom run out of the right size and type of wire.
You might also consider looking for the tools at a places that sell used tools including pawn shops and estate sales but be prepared for the person selling these tools to not even know what to call them or know what they do.
As far as why safety wiring is not as popular any more, I think it was the invention of Loctite.

Dave
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

For the handful of times I plan to use the pliers harbor freight sells a 6" and a 9" for about $10 a piece. Plus always have a lifetime warranty and a 20% off coupon so even if they only last a few times its worth it haha.
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Post by blgitn »

Very helpful! Thank you! :D
R/ Roger.