Trany accesory?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Trany accesory?

Post by KimVanOrder »

So, what are the two bolt holes on the side of the 3 speed trany tower for? On the passangers side. What goes on there?

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: Trany accesory?

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

When the emergency brake handle moved from in front of the gearshift to the right side of the transmission, the emergency brake sector and handle was mounted there with two bolts.

Keith
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

the later style emergency brake handle

bah posted same time but yes in more elaborate words what he said^^^^^^

random side question: what was their reasoning for relocating it the 3rd time? (to the side) ive heard they relocated it off the left side because it kept getting knocked and released when the driver exited but why move it from in front of the shiftier to the pass side?
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Stakebed wrote:the later style emergency brake handle

bah posted same time but yes in more elaborate words what he said^^^^^^

random side question: what was their reasoning for relocating it the 3rd time? (to the side) ive heard they relocated it off the left side because it kept getting knocked and released when the driver exited but why move it from in front of the shiftier to the pass side?
I don't know the reasoning for moving the front location to the passenger side of the tower. The reason for the move from the left side of the driver to the center of the cab was when the government required Ford to equip the trucks with separate emergency brakes. Trucks with the lever on the left side do not have separate emergency brakes. The handle operated the service brakes.
And yes the left side lever is very prone to getting bumped and accidentally released by the driver getting in or out. Ask me how I know... :oops:
------------
Dave
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

[quote]random side question: what was their reasoning for relocating it the 3rd time? (to the side) ive heard they relocated it off the left side because it kept getting knocked and released when the driver exited but why move it from in front of the shiftier to the pass side?[/quote]

Just look at the parts and you will see the later style was a cost reduction to manufacture and assemble.
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Post by Hayslip »

A look at the production line in early 1928 the body was dropped onto the frame with the brake handle in place and would have to be slipped through the small slot in the body sill. When they changed the braking system in front of the shift made dropping the cab easier. The "front of the shift" version made the foot rest useless, so they moved it again. Another consideration is the fact that the company needed two body parts for side handles. The English early 1928 Fords had a handle on the far right through a unique sill, the opposite of the USA version. This may be all wrong. I just made it up.
Hayslip
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Hayslip wrote:A look at the production line in early 1928 the body was dropped onto the frame with the brake handle in place and would have to be slipped through the small slot in the body sill. When they changed the braking system in front of the shift made dropping the cab easier. The "front of the shift" version made the foot rest useless, so they moved it again. Another consideration is the fact that the company needed two body parts for side handles. The English early 1928 Fords had a handle on the far right through a unique sill, the opposite of the USA version. This may be all wrong. I just made it up.
That was very funny :)
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org