Is it worth something

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1builder
Body Type: aa flat bed
Model Year: 1930

Is it worth something

Post by 1builder »

Hello AA world. I have acquired my first prewar truck. The former owner is the son of the original owner. He thought it was a 29 or 30. I am going to describe it the best I can. It is a closed cab, 4 cyl, 4 speed, dual tires on bud wheels, flatbed. There is a wood frame in the roof. The truck is rough but complete. All the wood is rotten along with the interior. I understand the engine number is also the vin? I am only interested in the frame and sheet metal. Does the running gear have any value? I have many more questions but I'll start with this. Thanks for any help.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Is it worth something

Post by spectria »

1builder wrote:Hello AA world. I have acquired my first prewar truck. The former owner is the son of the original owner. He thought it was a 29 or 30. I am going to describe it the best I can. It is a closed cab, 4 cyl, 4 speed, dual tires on bud wheels, flatbed. There is a wood frame in the roof. The truck is rough but complete. All the wood is rotten along with the interior. I understand the engine number is also the vin? I am only interested in the frame and sheet metal. Does the running gear have any value? I have many more questions but I'll start with this. Thanks for any help.
Post a photo or email one to me and I'll post it, then it can be accurately identified.
Are you planning to channel and lower it?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

yea a picture would help, late 29-31 if its got a 4 speed

"vin" or serial number is on the left side frame rail under the cab, engine number is just that, was very common to swap out engines with model A cars as they are identical. if you can give us that number we can tell you a bit about when it was made.

frame number is the true number tho.
1builder

Post by 1builder »

I will post some photos. Is the cab sheet metal on the AA the same as the A. I need to replace the cab c owners and a couple inches of the rear cab. I also have to rebuild the bottom of the doors. Yes it will be low. Old school hotrod is the plan. No chrome, no billet, no over priced rims, no LS engine. Just a nice clean dependable hotrod.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

What area are you in. If your in the new england area I may be interested in the drive train.
1builder

Post by 1builder »

Almost dead center of Wisconsin. Pittsville to be exact.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

1builder wrote: I am only interested in the frame and sheet metal. Does the running gear have any value? I have many more questions but I'll start with this. Thanks for any help.
Sounds like another great old truck is going to get destroyed.
1builder

Post by 1builder »

Hope this turns put.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (221.29 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (221.29 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

late 30 -31, looks like a decent one
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Looks like a decent 30 Cab. All sheetmetal will work with the passenger series car. Don't scrap that stake platform. A lot of us are looking for parts from them. The chassis are AA only except for the front ends. They are the same as the passenger car for the most part.
1builder

Post by 1builder »

Thanks for the info. I read that the king pins on the front axle are larger on the AA than they are on the cars or pick ups. I plan on building a hotrod, yeah I know some think I'm a SOB for "destroying" this truck. Do the car or pickup spindles work on this axle?
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

1builder wrote:Do the car or pickup spindles work on this axle?
No.
1builder

Post by 1builder »

After getting the cab off this is the number I found ☆AA3640431A☆ can anybody decode this?Left frame rail, top, under the cowl. I am unable to read most the digits on the block but the ones I could read matched.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

1builder wrote:After getting the cab off this is the number I found ☆AA3640431A☆ can anybody decode this?Left frame rail, top, under the cowl. I am unable to read most the digits on the block but the ones I could read matched.
You can find a list of A and AA engine numbers at http://aafords.com/aa-information/#men.

The last number was 4,849,340. Your show an "A" at the end and that should not be there.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Sadly another survivor is about to be destroyed. :-)