Stake Bed Rails - Securing them in bed "pockets"

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carlsoncg
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A
Model Year: 1928

Stake Bed Rails - Securing them in bed "pockets"

Post by carlsoncg »

My AA overheated again on 50 mile drive despite stopping x 4 times to cool and add coolant. So decided to have towed to shop to see if I had bad water pump, etc. During tow on top of a flat bed roll on tow truck we hit a bump and one, then three other of my (bueatiful) rails bounced out of the bed and landed on the road. Fortunately the only damage was to the rails and wood (no other vehicles involved). The cost to refinish stakes and replace the damaged oak is substantial, but I do not want this to happen again.

Looking on inside of rail pockets I see about a 3/8" hole in center of each that suggests there may have been a pin or bolt that secured each rail to the bed to prevent them bouncing out of an unloaded truck. Has anyone seen any type of mechanism I can duplicate to "lock" the rails to the bed?

Thanks, Carl
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: Stake Bed Rails - Securing them in bed "pockets"

Post by KimVanOrder »

A bolt.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Do you have the locking stake? The locking stake on my truck holds down the next rack which holds down the next rack etc. etc. I fabricated a lock mechanism from President Neil's drawings.
Attachments
lock drawing.jpg
lock drawing.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
lock replica.JPG
lock replica.JPG (286.27 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
Ulysses6
Body Type: 89A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Ulysses6 »

AAholic, any other views of and parts used for your replica ?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Stake Racks - Securing into Platform Pockets?

Post by Neil Wilson »

carlsoncg wrote:My AA overheated again on 50 mile drive despite stopping x 4 times to cool and add coolant. So decided to have towed to shop to see if I had bad water pump, etc. During tow on top of a flat bed roll on tow truck we hit a bump and one, then three other of my (bueatiful) rails bounced out of the bed and landed on the road. Fortunately the only damage was to the rails and wood (no other vehicles involved). The cost to refinish stakes and replace the damaged oak is substantial, but I do not want this to happen again.

Looking on inside of rail pockets I see about a 3/8" hole in center of each that suggests there may have been a pin or bolt that secured each rail to the bed to prevent them bouncing out of an unloaded truck. Has anyone seen any type of mechanism I can duplicate to "lock" the rails to the bed?

Thanks, Carl
Carl, I believe you are referencing the stake racks. You do not indicate which platform your AA has (there were four different platforms). I am guessing it is the first platform (the 88-A) which had more than one design. An article titled "AA Truck Talk - Equipment for the 88-A Platform" is found at https://aafordscom.ipage.com/aafords-pdf/88ae.pdf. Please let up know which platform you are referencing.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by carlsoncg »

Neil, Thank you. Looking at the stake bed and stake rack drawings at the link you provided I definitely have a 88A platform with 188A Stake Racks Version 3. When the truck was restored back in 1989-91 the restorer must have had a copy of the original Ford drawings (from where you got your drawing package) as it matches your drawing exactly, except they did not order/buy/install the locking stake that AAcholic sent a picture of (Thanks). I am sending your article to the restorer who will look at the rear right center stake pocket to see if it has the mortise to receive the locking stake mechanism. As your article points out the 188A Stakes (Style "B") have no hole that corresponds to the hole in the inside of the pocket, so it is no longer possible to use a bolt to secure the stakes racks to the bed without through drilling all the stakes/stake pockets. Assuming the rear right center stake pocket is as it should be, I should be able to add the locking mechanism to that one stake, which will in turn lock the left rear stake rack, and the rear left and right side stake racks, to the bed. Interesting is it not that when you leave out one simple feature such as this in a restoration how it can have major consequences such as bouncing 4 stake rack assemblies out on to a public highway. Fortunately the only damage was to the stake racks themselves, and my wallet.

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Carl
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

original and repro locking stakes
Attachments
locking stake.jpg
locking stake.jpg (190.45 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg (214.11 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

AAoholic, Thank you. Your pictures are great. I see from Neil's article that the center stake racks on each side are not locked (so they can be removed to load from side without having to remove 3-4 rear stake racks). I guess they are less likely to bounce out...?
Your truck looks nice by the way .
Carl
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

AAholic, Where did you have the new stake locking mechanism made? I was wondering if he had anymore or could make one for me. Might be cheaper than my guy starting from scratch...

Thanks, Carl
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

Carl, I made it myself really not too difficult just 5 pieces I'd offer to make you one but I don't have the time right now.