Long mirror arm

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Long mirror arm

Post by Stakebed »

Does anyone have dimensions of the long mirror arm? Seems like it would not be a hard piece to have cast (aluminum would be just fine) if one has a good one to get a pattern from... Seems theres alot of us in need of it where a small run on a relatively simple piece (about like a less complicated taillight bracket) could be slightly profitable if one has connections. I do not unfortinately :( but thought I would float the idea out there.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

1929 AA Mirror Bracket

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:Does anyone have dimensions of the long mirror arm? Seems like it would not be a hard piece to have cast (aluminum would be just fine) if one has a good one to get a pattern from... Seems theres alot of us in need of it where a small run on a relatively simple piece (about like a less complicated taillight bracket) could be slightly profitable if one has connections. I do not unfortinately :( but thought I would float the idea out there.
You don't say - but I am guessing you are asking about a 1929 AA and an 82-A closed cab. Mirror bracket AA-17745 was used 3/29 through 6/30 for AA's with stake bodies. It was 11-1/16" long.

An original could be used as a guide to make a pattern. I don't know a pattern maker. The pattern would need to be slightly longer to allow for shrinkage during casting. The enlarged pattern would then be used to make a mould. The mould is used to make wax replicas which are then used to make the cast parts. The threaded end would need to be machined. All these steps take lots of time/money. The total cost would need to be determined and then enough pre-sold before a runs is started.
Regards, Neil Wilson
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Re: Long mirror arm

Post by macswoods »

I know that I seem to Make do to put my truck on the road. But I used this idea to make my mirror arm longer. I made a tapered extinction into the end of the arm and put shrink tube on it ,can hardly tell, now I can see past the stake bed. Worked for me ,not an original long arm,it's on the road ! Mac..
Attachments
P1030921.JPG
P1030921.JPG (235.39 KiB) Viewed 11721 times
P1030920.JPG
P1030920.JPG (227.42 KiB) Viewed 11721 times
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Does anyone have dimensions of the long mirror arm? Seems like it would not be a hard piece to have cast (aluminum would be just fine) if one has a good one to get a pattern from... Seems theres alot of us in need of it where a small run on a relatively simple piece (about like a less complicated taillight bracket) could be slightly profitable if one has connections. I do not unfortinately :( but thought I would float the idea out there.
mirror dims.jpg
mirror dims.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 11715 times
Count me in for a couple of replica long mirror arms for a 82-B closed cab, anyone out there with a 3-D printer?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

prototype casting process: I used to teach foundry in a vocational center and there is a way to really simplify the Process for making ' short ' runs of parts. One can use an existing part, fill the drag 1/2 full of sand, put part in and pack it to the parting line. Add your parting power and riser, fill the cope the rest of the way, split, remove part and riser, pour in the casting material and you have your part. Shrinkage is so minimal over that length you will not notice unless you measure it. The real issue is finding a place that can melt your metal.. ( I'd suggest your local high school vocational center)..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

KimVanOrder wrote:prototype casting process: I used to teach foundry in a vocational center and there is a way to really simplify the Process for making ' short ' runs of parts. One can use an existing part, fill the drag 1/2 full of sand, put part in and pack it to the parting line. Add your parting power and riser, fill the cope the rest of the way, split, remove part and riser, pour in the casting material and you have your part. Shrinkage is so minimal over that length you will not notice unless you measure it. The real issue is finding a place that can melt your metal.. ( I'd suggest your local high school vocational center)..
yea thats what I was thinking of... just something that looks right and is close enough to the original from 5 ft away you wouldn't notice (and surely 99.95% of the public wont notice) but does its job of being able to see. Our highschool had this same process and just melted down old chunks of aluminum lawnmower heads/blocks (doesnt have to be iron) to cast things. We had to cast our own aluminum vice jaws and machine them to spec. Cast all sorts of belt buckles and whatnot too. Leftover riser metal went back in the kiln. Nothing a belt sander and a drill press couldn't finish to mount a mirror.

- sure an exact down to the 1/128" would be ideal made from iron but yes I understand that takes alot of time and money and very little need
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Stakebed wrote:
KimVanOrder wrote:prototype casting process: I used to teach foundry in a vocational center and there is a way to really simplify the Process for making ' short ' runs of parts. One can use an existing part, fill the drag 1/2 full of sand, put part in and pack it to the parting line. Add your parting power and riser, fill the cope the rest of the way, split, remove part and riser, pour in the casting material and you have your part. Shrinkage is so minimal over that length you will not notice unless you measure it. The real issue is finding a place that can melt your metal.. ( I'd suggest your local high school vocational center)..
yea thats what I was thinking of... just something that looks right and is close enough to the original from 5 ft away you wouldn't notice (and surely 99.95% of the public wont notice) but does its job of being able to see. Our highschool had this same process and just melted down old chunks of aluminum lawnmower heads/blocks (doesnt have to be iron) to cast things. We had to cast our own aluminum vice jaws and machine them to spec. Cast all sorts of belt buckles and whatnot too. Leftover riser metal went back in the kiln. Nothing a belt sander and a drill press couldn't finish to mount a mirror.

- sure an exact down to the 1/128" would be ideal made from iron but yes I understand that takes alot of time and money and very little need

or you could make your own foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Oh Dear!! what have we started now? :shock: :lol: :D
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Or! :idea: A good tool guy could fold one up from 1/8" flat stock. Saw out a blank, big old hammer and vice and bend one to shape. Then you could make it as long as you want.

Note also the 28 has the mirror mounted off the visor bolts. Higher so it is over the top of the racks. ( I think )! :idea:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
carlsoncg
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A

Post by carlsoncg »

Add my name to the long mirror bracket list for the right side and the left (though I still do not know where to mount the passenger side mirror...) as someone suggested, the visor screws seem like a way to mount a passenger-side mirror without messing the hinges up...? One of my earlier Posts pointed out two nice long mirrors:

Side mirrors: Got my first copy of the Doubler AA'er (Issue 22 April 2016) late last week (great publication Neil) wish it came as often as the MACCA Restorer.The Vaughan's and Jim's truck (bottom picture page #8) has the exact side mirrors I am looking for, how do I got one(s) like that? It looks really long and maybe adjustable? Of course I have no mounting holes on the passenger side window frame like this 1930 AA has...

Now we just need to have The Vaughan's and/or Jim to let someone "borrow their mirrors" to cast or fold new long brackets... :? :)

Carl
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

All, I am having my short drivers side mirror lengthened and a duplicate (attached to wind shield pillar, not door hinges) made for the passenger side. I will pass on dimensions and photos when done. They may be willing to do others.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Cool! please do post pictures. I think a large chunk of us just want something functional and looks period correct VS actually ford made correct...
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Stakebed, I was at Hershey this weekend and there were two AA's with extended side mirrors and side mirrors on the passenger side. Unfortunately the owners were not at their trucks to tell me where they got them or if they had them made...
carlsoncg

Re: Long mirror arm - source

Post by carlsoncg »

StakeBed, Enfield Auto Restorations has made two extended side mirrors for me. I have attached pictures (sorry for quality, but site kept saying picture too large...). They are now in for painting and I will sent Pix of final version, but he is willing to make others for anyone interested. He started with the short one on the Drivers side, made it longer and duplicated it for the passenger side also connecting it to the "A" Pillar (wind shield frame) like the original driver's side was connected on my 1928. Hopefully duplicates won't be as expensive as mine were, but mine included replicating the "A" Pillar connection on the passenger side. Ray's website link and email address follows:

http://enfieldautorestoration.com/ Email: info@enfieldautorestorations.com

Cheers, Carl
Attachments
IMG_1407 800.gif
IMG_1407 800.gif (220.41 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
IMG_1405 800.gif
IMG_1405 800.gif (168.84 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Long mirror arm - source

Post by Chris Haynes »

carlsoncg wrote:StakeBed, Enfield Auto Restorations has made two extended side mirrors for me. I have attached pictures (sorry for quality, but site kept saying picture too large...). They are now in for painting and I will sent Pix of final version, but he is willing to make others for anyone interested. He started with the short one on the Drivers side, made it longer and duplicated it for the passenger side also connecting it to the "A" Pillar (wind shield frame) like the original driver's side was connected on my 1928. Hopefully duplicates won't be as expensive as mine were, but mine included replicating the "A" Pillar connection on the passenger side. Ray's website link and email address follows:

http://enfieldautorestoration.com/ Email: info@enfieldautorestorations.com

Cheers, Carl
Didn't the '28 have the mirror on the visor? Early 1930 had the pillar mounted mirror.