Door Straps and Hiding Front Turn Signal wires

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carlsoncg
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A
Model Year: 1928

Door Straps and Hiding Front Turn Signal wires

Post by carlsoncg »

Hello AAers, Two questions about my "mongrel" 1928 Stake Bed AA:

1. It was missing the door straps from my repro LB interior. I have seen material for the straps in other AAs that match the brown LB brown interior but I am being told that LB recommends/says use the .."... black rubber strap with the footman loop at both ends." Is that correct?
2. I have installed turn-signals and the front ones are the small ones that fit between the bumper gap. Any good ideas to hide the wires along the bottom of the bumper brackets? I am using electrician's tape temporarily but do not want wire ties. I think someone said they "glued" them along the bottom of the brackets to hide them?

Thanks, Carl
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Door Straps and Hiding Front Turn Signal wires

Post by 1crosscut »

Use contact cement to hold the wires to the underside of the bumper braces.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Door Check Straps - 82-A Closed Cab

Post by Neil Wilson »

carlsoncg wrote:Hello AAers, Two questions about my "mongrel" 1928 Stake Bed AA:

1. It was missing the door straps from my repro LB interior. I have seen material for the straps in other AAs that match the brown LB brown interior but I am being told that LB recommends/says use the .."... black rubber strap with the footman loop at both ends." Is that correct?

Thanks, Carl
You don't indicate which cab (closed or open)? I am guessing you have the 82-A closed cab. You can check the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards" for what is correct (page 12-5 - 1928-1930 82-A closed cab used 7-1/2" chocolate brown double loop door checks). I don't believe that any vendor sells "correct door check straps". Given you have a "mongrel" I suspect you are not doing an assembly line rebuild. So, vendor supplied parts will work. Snyder's (at http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/door- ... traps-3491) has 6", 7", and 8" straps. If 8" straps will not allow the doors to hit side view mirrors, then that allows the doors to open the widest.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by carlsoncg »

Thanks Neil, I do have an 82-A closed cab. I have the black rubber door straps sold by the venders, I was just surprised that LB said that was correct for the truck. I see from you that the Restoration guide says otherwise. With a likely 1929 cab (based on mirror mounting location), a 1928 Engine, a 4 speed (vice 3 speed), and (now, for driving safety) extended passenger and driver side mirrors, seat belts and turn signals... I do have a "mongrel" but that does not mean I do not want the rest of my truck to be as period correct as possible/practical.

Thanks again for your help,
Carl
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Yup. That was me. I used an adhesive called " E - 6000" I got it at Michaels craft store. also at 'Hobby Lobby".. It bonds to about everything, is clear and easy to use. I used black ( matches the color of the frame) solid core wire. That holds its shape during install. Add a strip of E-6000 and taped in place with painters tape until dry. put the wire on the bottom of the rail . If you want to be real tricky, Spray paint the glue to cover it up. ( I did not. very little glue needed).

If you need some of that solid core wire let me know. I've got extra if you need it.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

On my truck I put the same turn signals on. I went to the parts store and got a 5/16 gas line about 4 ft long with flared ends. I cut it in half and tack welded it to the bottom of the bumper brackets near the bolt holes you use to mount them to the frame. I then bent the tubing to match the shape of the bracket about two inches up the bracket and tacked it again. The tube is easy to bend by hand when it is tack to bracket. Keep doing this untill you get it to the place it needs to stop and just cut it off. The outside dia is almost perfect. It looks like it was done at the ford plant. Paint it black and very few people will know it is not factory. Just put the wires through the tube. You can remove the wires at any time if need be.

Apple Truck
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Kim and Apple Truck, Thank you for the help! Just the options I was looking for.

Apple Truck, Do you think the tube could be tack welded to the bottom of the bumper bracket?

Cheers,
Carl
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Carlsoncg I tacked the tube to the bottom of the brackets. Just run the tube to the spot you want and you will only have a short length of wire exposed. I slipped a piece of small wire loom that I had leftover from the tail lights over the wires before I put the wires in the tube. You wont need any glue or tape.

Apple Truck
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Carlsoncg I reread my post an might have confused some people. I ment along the bottom of the bracket not up the side of it.Hope this clarifies it

Apple Truck
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Apple Truck, Thanks. I was confused, makes sense that it would be hidden along bottom of bracket.

Cheers, Carl