Warford auxiallry transmission

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Warford auxiallry transmission

Post by Jeff Brown »

I'm dismantling a Warford dual auxiliary transmission ready to put in my truck but struck a problem with the lower fixed shaft. How is this shaft held in place? I gave it a couple of gentle taps but it seems pretty solid - is there something that holds this in apart from the end plate. Only reason for removal was to check the bearings and see if they need replacement, and also that the drive shaft cannot be removed with the lower shaft gears in place. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
DSCF2016e.jpg
DSCF2016e.jpg (530.94 KiB) Viewed 9974 times
DSCF2013e.jpg
DSCF2013e.jpg (628.28 KiB) Viewed 9974 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Warford auxiallry transmission

Post by Stakebed »

Can you take a dental pick and scrape around in there? I dont know if they would have or use snap rings then... Also be aware if its anything like the model a 3 speed trans the main shaft can only come out the rear, if you try to hit it out the front the case will crack due to an ever so slight taper fit at the front. I would soak it with pb blaster or something and clean it up the best you can to see if there's any clues to how its held in there.
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks, yes I'm soaking it in some degreaser now so I'll see if anything shows up. Tapered shaft is likely, I don't think there are any snap rings as the gear is taking up the full shaft length.

Jeff
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Jeff,

Is that the one I brought back to you from BV in Kansas??? You really need to clean that thing up to see if there is a snap ring holding it. I can't tell from your picture. I was working on a 39 passenger car transmission this afternoon and they don't have them. What they do have is small rod that's held in check with a cotter pin on the other end of what you pictured. Once I removed that the shaft came out easily. You need a brass drift so you don't damage it. Keep soaking it and cleaning so you can see what you have.
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

The more I look at that and how it is recessed I suspect that there is a snap ring there that has rusted away. You need to remove all the scales of rust so you can see what you have.
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi Flatford 39,

No this one came from Canada. Have taken one layer of crud off it, still can't see anything - back in for another soak!

Jeff
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

Most machine shops bead blast areas like that prior to working on so they can see what is there.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Here is the parts list from the Canadian parts price list, and some bearing numbers, hope it helps.
WARFORD TRANSMISSION 1928 1929.jpg
WARFORD TRANSMISSION 1928 1929.jpg (971.03 KiB) Viewed 9898 times
warford bearings 2.JPG
warford bearings 2.JPG (99.64 KiB) Viewed 9898 times
Attachments
warford bearings.JPG
warford bearings.JPG (93.62 KiB) Viewed 9898 times
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Parts price list courtesy of the Bellar Museum
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

looks like 2030 is the shaft and 2031 is the retainer - picture isnt clear but looks rather large...id scrape and clean and see what you got.
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks guys, currently back to work so will get back to it next weekend.

Jeff
Still drivin' it
Body Type: Closed cab AA

Post by Still drivin' it »

Doesn't look like there's enough meat on the outside of the case for a drift pin. Possibly the snap ring rotted away and the shaft "walked" back a bit covering the slot for the snap ring. Try exercising the shaft back and forth a few times, applying heat and PB blaster. Maybe the rust is all that's holding it in.
ModelAMan72
Body Type: AAC

Post by ModelAMan72 »

Hi There,
I have taken several of these apart. The shaft is very very tight so I had to press it out. They only go one way towards the strap that you take off the end of the shaft. The shaft is turned down on the other end which s smaller so it can only be pushed the one way. Any questions, email me at papajackstoys@gmail.conm
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks ModelAMan 72, yes, the shaft is stepped, after soaking it for a week, I gave it a light tap with a drift and it moved ever so slightly so I just kept tapping and after about 10 minutes it was out. Just as well I did take it out, one of the roller bearings inside seems pretty beat up on the end and one roller was broken. Not sure if these are a standard size yet but at least it is all apart.

Jeff
ModelAMan72
Body Type: AAC

Post by ModelAMan72 »

If you need bearings, I have numbers for replacements. email me at papajackstoys@gmail.com