Warford Assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
NZAA
Body Type: Cousins & Atkin
Model Year: 1928

Warford Assembly

Post by NZAA »

Hi There,
I am currently about to assemble a Warford three speed for my AA truck that i have managed to piece together out of parts from various sources and was wondering if anybody has any information regarding end float specs etc for the input and output shafts as i see in the parts picture a series of different gaskets for the rear housing that i assume are for adjustment.
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Re: Warford Assembly

Post by njcar757 »

When I rebuilt my warf 3 spd, I put 1 gasket on the front 1/64" thick, then on the back I put a gasket 1/64" thick and there was a little too much drag, so I made a gasket 1/32" thick and the output shaft spun freely.
carry on, nick c
njcar757

Post by njcar757 »

One more thought since your piecing it together. There is a thrust washer that sits inside the input shaft and its about 1/4" thick, don't forget it.
carry on
NZAA

Post by NZAA »

Hi There,
Thanks for your info. I have put the Warford together with one gasket at each end and it appeared to be ok certainly not dragging and if anything had a little end float. Do you have any photos of the thrust washer you mentioned or any more detail as to where it goes? I dont believe I have it in my parts so am a little worried about how my Warford will last without it. It certainly is performing perfectly at the moment and has made my truck much much more usable now i can get along at 30-35 mph happily and is a great deal of fun to drive with the 'twin sticks'.
njcar757

Post by njcar757 »

Go to post below, 28/29 in 31 AA, look at the diagram, it is deceiving, it is not in order. I rebuilt 3 spd but never used it, its sitting on my work bench so I took it apart and measured the thrust washer, it is .187" thick, 1.480" on the od, with a 1/4" hole in the center, I'm sure it is heat treated tool steel because it is shiny and not worn. I'm sure the part # is 2038 but it is in the wrong place, it should go where bearing 1342 is and 1342 goes on the input shaft 2033. 2038 goes in input shaft first then bearing1251 goes in.
I hope this helps, nick c
NZAA

Post by NZAA »

Nick C,
Thank You very much, you've solved the last riddle I had with my Warford! The thrust washer you mention will be the exact cause of my confusion when setting up the end play etc. in my transmission. The unfortunate thing for me is I now have the Warford in my truck and running and am relying on loctite to retain both main shaft ball bearings in the correct position in the transmission housing which although is working perfectly at the moment, is by no means permanent. now you have supplied me with some measurements I can organise a suitable thrust washer and install it as soon as i can. Luckily for me my truck is a Canadian AAC and the removal/installation of the Warford is very easy.
Gavin.