wheel hop

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
justmemachine
Body Type: aa stake
Model Year: 1930

wheel hop

Post by justmemachine »

hi all
first I would like say thank you to all of you on this forum. with out your input and knowledge I would
have never finished my truck this past week. I stared putting the truck back together 2 1/2 years ago
and new nothing about a model A. the truck was about 2/3rs apart when I got it. I spent hours on this forum
looking for and finding info, from you folks. even buying some parts off this forum. its not a show truck
by any means. I would post a picture but it says the file is to large when I try to drag and drop.
anyway so I have taken it for a drive three or four times and all is good except it has a very bad wheel
hop at about 30 to 40 mph and I cant tell if its coming from the rear or the front and its not a side to side
moment in the steering wheel its a up and down moment. at 15 to 20 mph its fine. has anyone ever seen this before.
truck info, its a 29 stake bed with 30 rear end. all the front and rear leaf springs are new. front and rear wheel are parallel
with in 3/4 of a inch. 40 psi in all the tires
thank you very much for your time
Dan
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Re: wheel hop

Post by emf »

I experienced similar hop from the front end of my 28. I systematically went through the front end (tie rod, pitman arm, drag link) and had the front tires balanced. The wheels are the wire type and were grossly out of balance. This did not stop the bounce. I then checked the front shocks and found them empty. I filled them with fluid and 90% of the bounce is gone. Check your shocks...

Frank
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

often times the wheel hop can be from a flat spot on a bias ply tire. not even visible. this is why some jack vehicles up for long storage. driving it a lot can help to improve it. they used to have a machine that would spin the tire and sand off the high spot. not sure if there is such a thing as an old tire man still alive. this would be my guess. i have had many trucks with this thump thump each revolution. hope this helps. good luck, kevin
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Swap tires front to rear and see if that changes things.

You will need to make your pictures smaller to post on this site. We would like to see your truck.
------------
Dave
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Dan scroll down the previous page ( AA Ford Discussion) and try the steps that I posted on (POSTING PICTURES) to see if it helps. Come back and let me know if you need any more help on posting pictures :) Shelby, Sacramento
justmemachine
Body Type: aa stake

Post by justmemachine »

Kevin that may be the problem. the truck sat for over four years on these brand new tires
with very little movement so I guess now I just need take some long trips at 20 mph on a real
hot day and see if they will go back to being round.
Shelby I tried to post a picture with the info, you gave not sure if it will be there or not here goes. thank you
Dan
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

take some chalk and see if you can find the flat spots and mark them - that way you wont repark on the flat spots again.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

i am just about ready to put my truck on the road which sat for 8 years with new denman tires. hopefully it was moved a few times over the years. i will let you know if my truck proves to be one that feels like the easter bunny was the previous owner.