Drive shaft removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Drive shaft removal

Post by emf »

I just got the call from Mitchell. My gear splitter will be mailed to me on Friday. I've been waiting for 4 months and can't wait. Now to my question. I have a spare rear end with torque tube and radius rods in the barn. Since I want to consolidate some space I thought I would remove the torque tube and radius rods on the spare before tackling the one on the truck. I got all apart except the drive shaft coupling. I see there are two pins that have been peened in the coupling. I ground off the head of one to attempt to drive it out, but no luck. Am I going down the right path here? It sure looks like the pin just gets driven out...

Frank
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Drive shaft removal

Post by 1crosscut »

You are on the right track. They do drive out.
You may need to drill down the center of the pin to allow the sides to collapse in a bit and then use a long narrow punch in the hole you drilled.
Take lots of pictures of how the installation progresses.
------------
Dave
emf

Post by emf »

I had to drill out the pin, but out it came. Now the splined drive shaft is tight in the coupling. I'm going to need a puller of some kind, but I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions???

Frank
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Can you make a 'slide' hammer? Also lots of penetrant, heat and cool several cycles, Hit all around it with a heavy block on the back side. Be careful not to damage the worm etc. May the force be with you.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Hmm can you make a crude puller of some sort to push between the worm housing and coupler? Might get lucky with supporting it just right so its "neutral" and lining up a block of wood or brass against the worm side of the coupler and smacking with a hammer.
emf

Post by emf »

After some thought, I have decided that the best way is to drill out both pins and pull the long drive shaft along with the coupling away from the worm. Then I can pull the coupling from the drive shaft. I had thought prior to this that the coupling could stay on the work and avoid removing both pins. Also, anyone have a source for the soft pins? I have not found any yet...

Frank
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

suppliers sell a replacement pin kit for like $3
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Like Stakebed said Snyder's has the pin set for the 1928-29 coupling AA-4707-AS.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/drive ... ng-pin-set

Bob
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

To get the coupler and shaft apart you have to heat the coupler cherry red and then us a flat bar and hammer a big hammer. to drive off the coupler from the shaft. you will have to clamp the one shaft down so when you hit the coupler the shaft stay's in place.
emf

Post by emf »

I found the pin set at Snyders, guess I just read past it... I got the coupling off, no heat, no big hammer. Sometimes the Force is with you. I drilled the pins (amazingly soft) and put my bearing separator with a couple of 1/2" bolts and pushed it off. I hope the rest of the installation goes as smoothly, but somehow, I think there will be a few snags.

Frank
Attachments
Bearing Separator in place
Bearing Separator in place
IMG_4925.JPG (147.2 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
First pin drilled
First pin drilled
IMG_4923.JPG (129.71 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
emf

Post by emf »

OK, I'm getting some parts together while I wait for the Mitchell to arrive. Things like torque tube gaskets, collar pins, seals, etc. One puzzle for you AA gurus, I ordered the replacement collar pins, expecting to get two soft pins that need to be mashed once installed, like the ones I drilled out. Instead, I got one soft one and one hardened clevis pin that is secured with a washer and a cotter pin. The instructions clearly state that the hardened pin should go to the rear of the collar and the soft one should go to the front. ????? Why are there two different pins made of different materials?

Frank
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

one gets riveted over, the other uses a clip so it is removable.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA