28 AA front axle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Moto Largo
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1928

28 AA front axle

Post by Moto Largo »

I just removed the front axle from my '28 AA in order to replace the kingpins, front spring, shackles and shocks, overhaul the brakes and to paint the axle related parts. With the axle on the floor it became obvious that it is bent. The middle of the axle is about 1-3/8" ahead of the axle centreline, the centreline being a line drawn between the centre of the spindle bolts. I always thought that these axles were straight in that plane. I plan to take the axle to the hydraulic press and make it as straight as possible. The bend was not obvious when the axle was mounted on the truck, but it is very obvious when the axle is on the floor. The bend is quite smooth with no kinks or other visible damage. Can anyone confirm that this axle is supposed to be straight?
Also, the 11" drums are heavily scored. I plan to put them on the lathe to clean up the surface. If these drums prove to her no longer serviceable, is there a supplier of cast iron 11" AA Ford drums with the 5 X 6-7/8 bolt pattern? or does anyone know of any modern cast iron drums that can be modified for this application?
Alan in Roberts Creek
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: 28 AA front axle

Post by Stakebed »

Yes it should be flat and it is identical to the cars so might be easier to just get a better used one.

Drums your SOL and should find better ones. The steel is already too thin when they were new so now that thier scored and your going to take more off your brakes will fade and warp after the first normal stop. That is if you even get stopped. If you find a solution with cast iron brakes let me know!
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Hello Moto,
Something you need to determine is that you have 1928 brake drums they are different than 1929, there was a recall to replace the spindles with much larger shaft sizes and wheel bearings, if you do have the 28 drums (picture added) they will be even more difficult to find.
The front axles were the same 28 thru late 29 and are plentiful,
they can be straightened but pay attention to the holes where the king pins fit for excess wear, should you need front drums I can help you with them.
Can you let the forum know your location, it helps with replies when members have parts you may need.
Regards Brian.
Attachments
AA 28 FRONT DRUM.JPG
AA 28 FRONT DRUM.JPG (153.95 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Keep in mind the AA perch pins are different on the AA from the passenger car. the 28's had front shocks and the ball is up a little higher than on a car. Like others have said the axles are all the same as the car just bigger spindles drums and the perch pin issue I just typed about. The perch pins are clearly marked AA.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Hopefully he will take some pics of his axle, my truck came with an axle from a car, it took a me a couple of years gathering the perches , shock arms, a front axle I believe was unused, and a better set of spindles, you never no where you find things.
The picture of that drum has a story, I received a reply to an ad for AA spindles which I purchased, they were the smaller spindles, I contacted the seller and he said for sure they are from a Double A, no problem returning them, so I asked for a picture of the drum, so they came from a truck that missed the recall, saved Henry a few bucks.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Ford sent out a Service Letter to their dealers and told them to check all AA trucks delivered before February 15th, 1929 to see if they were assembled with the Model A spindles and wheel bearings, and AA hub/drum assemblies that used these bearings. Originally the AA trucks also used the A axle and kingpins. If so, they instructed the dealers to change over these trucks, at no charge, to a heavier spindle which used larger bearings and the hub/drum assembly to accommodate them. At this changeover, the wheel studs and nuts now used were marked "R" and "L" instead of all unmarked right hand thread hardware used previously. Another Service Letter dated April 22, 1930 informed the dealers that the free replacement of the spindles, bearings, and hub-drum assembles has ended with this notice. If the truck owner did not find out about the free recall of these components and never had a problem, it is possible that some of these truck may still be out there with the regular Model A front end components as originally used. For judging purposes though, trucks delivered before February 1929 would be correct with the Model A components and correct style unmarked truck wheel hardware.

Keith
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

Thanks for all of the replies. Not sure if my brake drums are the updated version or not. It is not the same as the one in the photo below. I have a photo but cannot figure out how to insert it. The shoes look like the passenger car type with 1-1/2" wide linings.
I managed to straighten the axle. After a good cleaning I found "AA" cast into the web. Also, the perches are clearly marked "AA".
The left shock arm and link are missing. So a new arm and link are on order.
The front spring has 11 leafs, it is badly sagged and of poor construction: uneven overlaps, differing leaf thicknesses. It is 1-1/2" wide, so I think that the passenger car spring should work. A new one might be better than trying to re-arc the old one
I am located in Roberts Creek, British Columbia
Regards, Alan
DSC_0240.jpg
DSC_0240.jpg (355.07 KiB) Viewed 5526 times
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

I guess I did manage to attach the photo of my drum. It is shown in the previous post.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

You know the AA shock arms are different than the car arms. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5680&p=32982&hilit= ... rms#p32982

Bob
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

I did not know there is a difference in the shock arms. It looks like I will need to find the right part or modify the one that is on the way.
Alan in Roberts Creek
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

and the front car springs are not the same as the aa front spring... - same 12 leafs but are much thicker each. same width as well.