AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Moto Largo
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by Moto Largo »

My name is Alan Comfort and I live in Roberts Creek, BC, CANADA. I am new to the Ford AA truck world. I picked up my '28 AA flat bed in June and have been working toward getting it roadworthy. It has a non matching number four banger with a three speed gearbox and worm drive differential without the separate parking brake. It sits on 600 X 20 split rim wire wheels and has the full rear fenders. The flat deck body has "Ford Truck" stamped in raised script across the back of the platform support. It is a good runner but was in desperate need of kingpins. It seems that this truck has led a sheltered life as there is very little rust in the body, the undercarriage is virtually rust free and the wood has only a few soft spots.
I have replaced the floor boards with 3/4" birch plywood and have made interior door panels from 1/8" plywood painted black. While replacing the kingpins I noticed that there was a serious bend in the front axle, so I removed if and straightened it out on a 40 ton press. It is now straight, give or take 1/32". It is missing one front shock, arm and link, and I have replacement parts on the way. The other front shock appears to be in working condition with no oil leaks. There are no rear shocks or any evidence of old mounting hardware. The brakes need a complete overhaul, which is currently underway. And I plan to replace the totally sagged out front spring with a 10 leaf passenger car spring with a couple of extra leafs from the old spring. I believe that this will resolve the ride height issue. The brakes area bit weak but I think that some improvement will be made by straightening the bent brake rods, fitting new linings to the shoes, cleaning up the petrified grease in the arms and wedges and doing a careful adjustment.
The wiring harness has been badly bodged by a previous owner and I have made some temporary repairs to get the horn and lights working. I have a new wiring harness that i will fit in the near future.
The rear fender braces were AWOL when I got the truck. I have fabricated some temporary braces from steel plate and bent steel tubing, but I will try to find some original braces.
I do not have any interest in making this truck a concourse winner, but rather a good driver. This truck would be a good candidate full a restoration, so I will not do any cutting or chopping that will make a full restoration more difficult should the next custodian wish to take that path. I am fortunate to be living in an area that has no high speed roads or long distances to travel.
I look forward to returning this truck to service and making good use of the collective knowledge and wisdom of the participants in this forum.
Regards, Alan
Attachments
CSC_0232.jpg
CSC_0232.jpg (604.14 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Re: new member

Post by blgitn »

Welcome Alan. Nice truck!
R/ Roger.
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by gearling »

She's a real beauty! You've definitely come to the right place. This forum is a great resource for advice, support, parts, just a great group of guys here. I, for one, really appreciate your stance on doing what it takes to conserve and preserve, rather than restore your truck. I like for mine to look like what they are... old work trucks!
gearling

Post by gearling »

Hey, I'd like to ask, more pics of the old girl, please? I mean the truck, man, the truck!
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Welcome and congratulations on your new truck. I like your plan to get it going and to keep it as is and original. Fun stuff these old trucks.
------------
Dave
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Hello Allan, and nice truck you have there. Tell me how and where did you find this unit? Was she local to you on the Sunshine coast?
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Welcome to the slow lane!!!! Nice looking truck. I love BC especially Vancouver. Had a great time there many years ago.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

very nice truck. the building looks very unique, almost like a carpenter gothic bungalow cross. Is it old or did you make it. It looks like the truck and it belong together.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Welcome. I have a '28 also. But yours looks better than mine. Let us know if you need anything.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

The building is relatively new; about 15 years: steel frame on slab with red cedar/Douglas fir timbers and creek stone accents to match the other buildings on the property. It is used for the old Velocette and Moto Guzzi motorcycles that have followed me home in the past. The AA lives in a shed attached to the shipping containers across the driveway: a little less glamorous but out of the weather.
Alan in Roberts Creek
gearling

Post by gearling »

Douglas Fir Timbers?! That is some beautiful stuff. I haven't even seen any of that in decades!
Hey, don't be shy about posting more pics of that truck!
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

I'll get some more photos eventually. Right now the truck is in the shed with the axle on the floor and the various parts scattered about. The shed is not the best place for photos. I have applied paint to the axle, perches, backing plates, wishbone, etc. and the paint should harden up enough to begin re-assembly next week. I riveted on new front brake linings yesterday.
When it is out in he light of day I'll get some decent pictures.
Alan in Roberts Creek
Moto Largo

Post by Moto Largo »

Douglas Fir is pretty common here. It can be quite expensive, but it can also be free. I have salvaged some decent stuff from the cut block waste and from windfalls along the road.
We were picking mushrooms in a stand of Douglas Fir yesterday. Quite majestic. There is a 300 year old tree just up the road. It is spectacular!http://www.coastreporter.net/news/local ... t-1.996293
Alan in Roberts Creek
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by s147881 »

I have some rear fender brackets if you are interested. I also have two completely disassembled 28 long running board rear fender trucks if you need anything else. You can text me at 269-423-2637. Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

email sent Mr Bob. :)