Warford

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Warford

Post by Bob C »

Just saw a Warford listed on Ebay, starting at $900. That's the second one in a month
listed. The other one was $800 and not one bid.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warford-Overdr ... ph&vxp=mtr

Bob
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B
Model Year: 1931

Re: Warford

Post by rsierk »

Seller does not point out the wear on gear. You need to look at pictures carefully.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by s147881 »

I bought the last one on EBay after auction ended. I contacted the guy and offered 600.00 and he accepted it. Came with shift handle and near perfect gears.
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

I've had some experience with the transmissions and I can say that this unit is worn out. Look at the taper on the gears. This shows considerable wear and no amount of "rebuilding" will correct the loud (screaming) that will come from driving in overdrive. If the gears are not too bad they could be hard-chromed back to speck but only if there is not a lot of taper on the gears. Replacing the bearings will not help. Looks like serious pitting and rust has also occurred. These are wonderful units when in good shape but those are hard to find.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

What causes gears to wear at a taper like that? Bad bearing cocking the gear sideways?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Can the gear be "flipped" around, so worn side is at the back? A straight cut gear should work either way. The wear is from more surface contact, as In engaging and disengaging. Not from running. Or it could be from not being fully engaged, or part way in gear. If the gear can not be reversed / flipped, just be sure to set it up so it is fully engaged. That should make it run at the 'non' worn section and be a quiet as new. ( Which is not as quiet as you may think).
KVO
Dec. '28 AA