Trafficators - Anyone installed these on their trucks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
CannonballRally
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1931

Trafficators - Anyone installed these on their trucks

Post by CannonballRally »

New guy just bought my first AA Truck. Sorry but I am a bit like a sponge right now, in that I am reading all about these trucks, history, applications, model variances etc. The one thing I am a little concerned about is my truck which will arrive once the snow leaves up here in Canada is a 6V unit. That being said I noticed when purchasing the truck was the lights, lack of turn signals etc. left me to wonder about safety. I am curious if anyone has installed Trafficators on their trucks?

I have really enjoyed the journey I have been taking towards the purchase of this truck, and I am sure one could replace the bulbs with Halogen 6V or possibly do a conversion to a 12V system but if units such as this were installed at least people could see I was turning - maybe not stopping but at least the awareness factor would be highly increased.

Just curious as to what others may have done regarding awareness for other drivers. I live on a farm just outside of Bobcaygeon in the Kawartha Lakes and we are surrounded by lakes which means cottagers - all of them appear to be in a hurry. I ride a BMW motorcycle and will use the same caution when driving the truck as I do with it - however slow moving sign on the back? what else can one do hence my question - Have any of you installed these on your trucks before? Thanks New GuyImage
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (404.66 KiB) Viewed 8938 times
1931 AA Truck - CAAS4775 - 82-B , AA157
CannonballRally

Re: Trafficators - Anyone installed these on their trucks

Thought since the body / box is above fender wells this might be a great solution - they are spring loaded and light up when activated via dash mounted switch - left or right side. They can be purchased vintage 1930 era and can be purchased with hidden boxes for entire assembly. Should provide excellent visibility and they are the proper era - just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before. thanks
Attachments
trafficator-mount-ahead-of-box-6V.png
trafficator-mount-ahead-of-box-6V.png (408.9 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Are you sure the truck doesn't already have turn signals as I see an extra set of tail lights.

Bob
CannonballRally

Hi Bob, oh it has turn signals but they are far from bright. I just do not want to be rear-ended if I can avoid it - maybe I am being a dick worrying about that but I have had on more then one occasion people run right up my backside on my bike when I brake or put on turn signals. If I use hand signals I don't think most of today's younger folk even know what they mean :)
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

While I find the trafficators are a neat historical feature, I don't think they will do much more than confuse today's drivers even more that they are.
Spend your dough on some significantly bright lights and indicators in the form the cottagers will understand on sight. Not saying you can't put them on for a conversation piece, I just don't think the would have the desired effect. These things went off the market for a reason. But good luck! and enjoy you Big Iron.
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

I suggest you find some LED lamp assemblies for your tail lights and turn signals.
CannonballRally

I have been looking at LED lights and have reached out to a couple of people already recommended on other threads within the forum. I suspect although it might be a conversation piece it might as already mentioned "create another distraction".

I am really looking forward to spending time learning all about these trucks - I know the basics but suspect it cannot be any more complicated then my 1946 Farmall Super A which I use all of the time. I just sold my 2010 corvette because as I age gracefully getting in and out of it was becoming a challenge. Sure it was great having tons of power but once i hit 60 mph I had to set the cruise anyways :)

My BMW k1600GT has more then enough power to still deliver that rush, and yes I have to set the cruise on it all the time. My desire to slow it down a little and enjoy something vintage should be satisfied with the truck. I have never seen one of these in my area. When I spoke to the Model A Club of Canada ( Philip Wilson) they said to me they did not have any members with a truck like this that he could recall. It is a Canadian Version and as far as I could figure out built in June of 31.

thanks - Cheers - David
Attachments
Untitled-5.png
Untitled-5.png (266.11 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (260.73 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
CannonballRally

few more pics
Attachments
Untitled-8.png
Untitled-8.png (286.42 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Untitled-7.png
Untitled-7.png (220.37 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Untitled-6.png
Untitled-6.png (306.95 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

nice looking truck. I'd focus on the lights that you have. SMV sign is a good idea, and I added four way flashers. Just get them lights big and bright!!! See you on the road.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

CannonballRally wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 5:50 am
few more pics
If you ever find any more of those hub caps please let me know.
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

SMV signs are supposed to be used only on agricultural equipment going under 25 miles per hour.
CannonballRally

SMV signs - did a bit more digging - in Ontario , CA - SMV signage is used under the following circumstances:

You need to display a slow-moving vehicle sign if your vehicle is not capable of reaching and sustaining a speed greater than 40 km/hour.

Vehicles that need a slow-moving vehicle sign include:

construction equipment
farm equipment
street sweepers
fork lifts
low-speed vehicles - ( thinking the Model AA qualifies)

If your slow-moving vehicle is towing something, you need to display the sign at the rear of the object being towed.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... sign.shtml
I suspect it would have to be an officer of the law having a bad day if he traveled behind you and pulled you over for doing 38 mph because of the SMV sign. I could be wrong but I I will mount said reflector on my hitch ball then if I am requested to remove it I can easily do so without any effort. Lights will make all of the difference and I appreciate those suggesting such.

Cheers,
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

If you have no tail gate, then you can put it on the back of the cab, as if you were just transporting it. :shock: :wink: I have mine on a post in the rear rail 'pocket''. If it becomes an issue, just pull it out and throw it in the back. ( And yes, in Mich. SMV signs are 'supposed' to be on Ag equipment. Which my truck now is. Throw an old celery crate in the back. Just like it had 80 yrs ago..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I asked our local state PD about orange triangles and even strobing amber warning lights. He looked it up in the vehicle code book and yes it is illegal to put both on my AA BUT he said in todays world and the fact that no-one goes the posted 55mph speed limit on the highway he nor his fellow officers would pull me over for having an orange triangle and strobing amber lights (like snow plows or highway trucks have). He said in your special case your more of a danger to yourself and others without them than with and would recommend adding such devices. He did say since it is technically illegal he cannot and would not write a letter stating he said to do it of course and cannot speak for other PD's. :)
CannonballRally

More of a danger to yourself then others :)

So I suppose mounting something like this on top would be pushing it then!
Attachments
TBD-GRT-060-650x489_0.png
TBD-GRT-060-650x489_0.png (129.54 KiB) Viewed 8772 times