hyatt roller bearings. do they run hot?

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

hyatt roller bearings. do they run hot?

Post by birdacre »

i have a 28 AA. i have it on the road now. i have got brakes good and it runs nice. one thing i do worry about it the driveshaft tube in front of speedometer cable insert. this area gets hot to the touch after a hour drive. is this normal. by hot i mean you can barely hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds. hyatt roller bearings were in good shape, plenty of grease packed in and since. is it possible to put too much. any ideas out there. it runs great i just wonder how those bearings get lubricated. does the grease run down the tube from the grease fittings. i guess someone would have to crawl under their truck after an hour drive and check this spot. thank you in advance, kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: hyatt roller bearings. do they run hot?

Post by KimVanOrder »

I think they should not run hot. That is a sign of high friction. Double check if it is greased. Is grease getting to it? Was it packed when assembled? I know, too many questions. But it should not be hot. I have never notice my '28 getting hot. For what it is worth. Good luck.

PS. you know the answer!

kvo
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

do you think that the grease fittings that lube the U joints will allow grease to flow to the hyatt bearings. i know i put some grease on during assembly but would like to find a way to "maintain" the bearings with regular grease. if it does not flow into the tube i wonder if i could put a grease fitting in near the bearings. last resort would be to pull the rear end and take a look. now that i have my express body on the top of the springs is not easy to get to with splash apron and fenders. do you know how the large set screw attaches the springs to the rear end? it looks like a giant slotted machine screw and then a bolt that comes in from the side. any ideas appreciated. thank you kevin
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I thought there should be a grease fitting already there or very close to it....
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

the grease fittings are in the clamshell a few inches from the hyatts. seems weird to hope the grease would flow to these bearings. i suppose i could install a grease fitting closer. if i packed the drill bit with grease i think it would catch any filings and keep them out of the tube. any ideas?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:
May 7th, 2018, 6:55 am
the grease fittings are in the clamshell a few inches from the hyatts. seems weird to hope the grease would flow to these bearings. i suppose i could install a grease fitting closer. if i packed the drill bit with grease i think it would catch any filings and keep them out of the tube. any ideas?
And if it doesn't? Best bet it to take it apart. Then you can mic everything and double check and sleep at night.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Check the Ford Service Bulletins. My den is being remodeled and my books are packed away so I can't give you the exact date they addressed the addition of a extra grease fitting in the torque tube. It gives the exact measurements of where to put it. I think it was sometime in '30 though. Later torque tubes already have the second fitting installed.

Keith
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

does anyone have these diagrams within arm's reach? it would be very useful. I suspected that there was a need for this. thank you, kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

The added fitting is 2" in front of the existing fitting, don't think it will do anything for the bearing.
The Service Bulletins say "This fitting permits the lubricant to flow directly to the u-joint without first
passing through the bearing."
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

there is a fitting on the clamshell right under the u joint on the mid cross member. the other one is on the clamshell on back of transmission. if i was to go two inches towards front from back u joint that would put the grease closer to the hyatt on the back end of the intermediate shaft. ??? does this sound logical? this would allow grease to get to he bearing without first having to pass through the u joint.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

there is a fitting on the clamshell right under the u joint on the mid cross member. the other one is on the clamshell on back of transmission. if i was to go two inches towards front from back u joint that would put the grease closer to the hyatt on the back end of the intermediate shaft. ??? does this sound logical? this would allow grease to get to he bearing without first having to pass through the u joint.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

then again.... if this was in 1930 i wonder what year it pertains to. the intermediate shaft was very different from 28 to 30 i believe?? does the 1930 bulletin say what year they are referencing or have any photos? thank you in advance. kevin
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Are you talking about the drive shaft or coupling shaft? The Service Bulletin is June 1930 so I assume they are referring
to the bevel gear torque tube.

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i am talking about the coupling shaft. i was not sure if the service bulletin came out a year or two after a problem arose. do you have any photos? thank you for your help. kevin.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The picture in the Service Bulletins is of the bevel gear axle torque tube, nothing of the worm drive coupling shaft.
Below is a picture of the 1928-29 coupling shaft if that would help.

Bob
28-29_coupling_shaft_146.jpeg
28-29_coupling_shaft_146.jpeg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 7279 times