Driveshaft bearing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rob29
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Driveshaft bearing

Post by Rob29 »

My 29 did not come with a front drive shaft bearing or any speedometer components. Apparently, it was operated this way for may years. Piecing together forum threads, my understanding is that from back to front there is a split ring, then a grease seal facing forward, and the roller bearing. Is this correct and does the roller bearing go in a sleeve? I see these components are readily available for A's, are these A and AA components interchangeable?

Lastly, am I correct in assuming the speedometer components are not critical for driveshaft operation?

Thanks for your help.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Driveshaft bearing

Post by Bob C »

This was posted by another member.

Bob
DSC07830.JPG
DSC07830.JPG (225.33 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Lastly, am I correct in assuming the speedometer components are not critical for driveshaft operation?

Thanks for your help.
I am quite sure you do not need the speedometer components. Mine is not hooked up. All it dose is turn the flex shaft going to the speedometer.
Last edited by mikeg on May 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quotes
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks guys, looks like I need to find some parts but at least not the speedo parts. Hopefully, there will be a lot less banging with the roller bearing installed.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rob29 wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 2:19 pm
Thanks guys, looks like I need to find some parts but at least not the speedo parts. Hopefully, there will be a lot less banging with the roller bearing installed.
FYI - It is quite obvious that the speedometer drive gear and speedometer drive gear retainer must be installed. If not installed, then the roller bearing is not held in place and can/will move forward out of the sleeve and be destroyed.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 5:20 pm
Rob29 wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 2:19 pm
FYI - It is quite obvious that the speedometer drive gear and speedometer drive gear retainer must be installed. If not installed, then the roller bearing is not held in place and can/will move forward out of the sleeve and be destroyed.
So, a spacer to hold the bearing in the proper place at the least. A bushing.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

KimVanOrder wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 4:10 pm
I guess a spacer which is splined for the drive shaft would work. It seems like a spacer is more work that finding the gear.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 8:43 am
KimVanOrder wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 4:10 pm
I guess a spacer which is splined for the drive shaft would work. It seems like a spacer is more work that finding the gear.
Neil: As always , you correct. But I used to be a machinist so I always lean that way. Make one vs buy one. Even if it doesn't make $ and Cents. It's all about the entertainment.

Thanks again and keep up the great work..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delayed response. I've been searching for the bearing and bearing sleeve through the normal vendors, Brattons, Berts, etc. with no success. Is there a source a for these parts somewhere? I'll post a LTB for the speedo gear.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I got the bearing and sleeve from Little Dearborn. Another possibility is Fred at southside obsolete http://www.southsideobsolete.com/Souths ... lcome.html or Mike at Third Gen Automotive (844) 327-5988. Mike goes by 35fordtn on Ford Barn.

Bob
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body

Post by dhetch »

Bob,
I just called Terry at Little Dearborn (They have since downsized and moved) and he said they no longer have their stock of AA parts. He recommended the guy who bought many of them (Chuck's Trucks 203-288-2769)
If I am not mistaken, I believe those same bearings, seals, and race are used in the hi-lo if you have a spare doner one of those.
Neil, didn't we go through the need for the snap ring a few years ago and determine that it was only necessary for the axles coming down to the assembly line because they let the driveshaft input hang down?
Just trying to help.
Dave
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks for the leads. The quest continues.
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Having found the needed bearing assembly (thanks AAholic, great parts) I was dry fitting everything together only to find my replacement driveshaft front spline dimensions differ from the original so my u-joint doesn't fit. The original has an inside spline diameter of 15/16" and the replacement 1-1/32". Am I correct in assuming that if I find a u-joint that fits the new driveshaft that I'll encounter the same issue with the front driveshaft spline dimensions or by chance was the front shaft spline configuration universal? If a different u-joint won't solve the problem has anyone tried to re-machine the grooves deeper on the driveshaft or is that more work/costly that it's worth? I may try and somehow remove the rear coupler from the original driveshaft that someone booger welded on. Thanks for any advice.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The driveshaft should be 1 1/4" 10 spline.

Bob
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

If you check the August 1929 Service Bulletins, it describes the spline change on the driveshaft and the different u-joint that is needed. The new splines are shallower than the old splines and are squared at the bottom of the grooves instead of being rounded. The old style driveshafts can be used with the new u-joint but the new style driveshafts cannot be used with the old style u-joints.

Keith